Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UK response to Covid-19 [MOD WARNING 1ST POST]

Options
1325326327328329331»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,669 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I'd rather that the measures were in place quickly to deal with the virus rather than going through a long tender process when things are needed quickly.

Yeah, this attitude is why companies can get contracts in June for work done in March under new measures introduced in April. Because there isn't "time" to do it properly to ensure people connected to those in power gets to walk away with lots of money. The problem isn't the headline grabbing contracts worth hundreds of millions of pounds, but those of only £800k. People wouldn't look at it when other contracts worth much more is given as well, but it is those that seems like stealing from taxpayers expecting better.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I think the red dots aren't insignificant, but they are not what you seem to be claiming they are. By pointing out what is factual about Blackburn for example, I'm not "downplaying" anything. I'm putting the data into perspective and explaining why it isn't as alarming as you are suggesting.

I've also explained why their colour scheme for the overlay on the map changed a few weeks ago. You can choose to do with what information what you will.

As i said, your kcl tracker has the current rate of daily new cases at over 2,100. That's nearly a 50% increase on the previous estimate. According to their quoted figures, areas like Blackburn, Blackpool, Pendle, Rotherham, Dudley among several others are as bad if not worse than Leicester a couple of weeks back pre lockdown. I'm not claiming or suggesting anything. I'm just looking at the figures from the website you keep relentlessly harping on about here. Nothing more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

As i said, your kcl tracker has the current rate of daily new cases at over 2,100. That's nearly a 50% increase on the previous estimate. According to their quoted figures, areas like Blackburn, Blackpool, Pendle, Rotherham, Dudley among several others are as bad if not worse than Leicester a couple of weeks back pre lockdown. I'm not claiming or suggesting anything. I'm just looking at the figures from the website you keep relentlessly harping on about here. Nothing more.

The red areas are not all worse than Leicester when it went into lockdown so this is incorrect. Blackburn with Darwen is however. If you're hitting over 2,000 per million you're probably on the verge of some form of localised measures. There are very few areas in this category. Most of the areas you list are not.

You seem to ignore the fact that 2,100 is a huge reduction from where we were in June overall.

At this stage I think I'm posting this more for the benefit of others however because you seem to be just looking for reasons to make it look like the UK is faring worse than it actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,972 ✭✭✭Christy42

I think you'd still need to highlight the flaws in the data to demonstrate why it shouldn't be trusted. If you're not willing to provide reasons for this and instead insist on repeating the same claim there's not much you can add to the discussion other than you trust nobody for no reason.

The flaws are they lied before, have kept lying and have shown no remorse. Fool me 7 times shame on you, fool me 8 times shame on me.

Seriously, we know they muddled the numbers to hit previous testing targets and only hit them for a specific day to get a headline. Here they have track and trace with massive issues with gdpr
    https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-53466471

So we know they haven't done due diligence before starting all of this or this wouldn't be an issue. That is a big hole so what other holes are there and what else did they miss? No due diligence, no trust.

They changed their story about 20 times during the app fiasco. There has been little transperency as to how the "scientific" advice they got was somehow different to that of the rest of the world and ended with them doing a massive uturn from their initial strategy of encouraging everyone to shake hands.

We have government officials talking about testing their eyesight by driving. If anyone ever tells you that then they are either too stupid to give accurate figures or more than willing to repeatedly lie about basic facts.

If I see someone willing to do proper preparations for track and trace, who hasn't repeatedly lied to me all over the place then yeah I'll trust their figures.

I thought that the UK was going to stop reporting deaths, but I see that the government's website still is (11 today). If the data is now spurious, surely better if no number is reported at all

• Advertisement

The red areas are not all worse than Leicester when it went into lockdown so this is incorrect. Blackburn with Darwen is however. If you're hitting over 2,000 per million you're probably on the verge of some form of localised measures. There are very few areas in this category. Most of the areas you list are not.

You seem to ignore the fact that 2,100 is a huge reduction from where we were in June overall.

At this stage I think I'm posting this more for the benefit of others however because you seem to be just looking for reasons to make it look like the UK is faring worse than it actually is.

The number of daily cases is half what it was at the beginning of june and has shown increases the past two weeks. You can describe that as a "huge" reduction if you like, i would suggest it's not really good enough.

According to kcl figures at the time, Leicester wasnt even the worst hit area - both Wolverhampton and Dudley had worse figures. Blackburn is at 2,953pm, Blackpool at 1681. At the time they did not give figures per million, but Leicesters definitely did not correspond to those sorts of estimates.

Which is frankly moot anyway as lockdowns or containment measures are dictated by PHE data, not kcl.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I was looking at worldometer there and according to its stats the UK has conducted roughly 199,000 tests per 1 million population, which puts it well up there in testing rates and numbers; nearly twice the rate of our own. It was reported for ages that the UK was a notoriously low test country - what changed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

uk: The world's highest case fatality rate, perhaps there is a connection with the amount (or lack) of testing being done.

https://ourworldindata.org/mortality-risk-covid#the-case-fatality-rate

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Arghus wrote: »
    I was looking at worldometer there and according to its stats the UK has conducted roughly 199,000 tests per 1 million population, which puts it well up there in testing rates and numbers; nearly twice the rate of our own. It was reported for ages that the UK was a notoriously low test country - what changed?
    Tests that were put in the post but are yet to be or will never be processed are included in that figure. I also think it double counts them when they are actually processed. It also includes antibody and surveillance tests.

Using only the number of processed antigen tests halves that above figure.

Care home rings up and orders 40 tests and they send them 100. Home does the 40 tests, bins the rest = 100 tests done.

Patient gets tested, swab taken from nose and throat = 2 tests done. Etc, etc

All subterfuge just so they could post ridiculously large numbers and boast emptily about their world beating prowess. Nobody ever asked for a "world beating" system, they just wanted one that was efficient and trustworthy and they're still waiting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

KCL figures are looking better than last week. There are 1,884 daily infections. The highest daily rate is in the North West and the North East. The UK average R number is looking to be 1.0 based on the data on the app also which isn't brilliant, but should at least mean that the number of new infections remains flat. I would be hoping that the R number goes below 1 next week because that means the decline would continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,507 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

British woman freaks out at other driver for not socially distancing between vehicles at a traffic stop

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/hvuf3j/social_distancing_on_a_whole_new_level/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

• Registered Users Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

and so we move on to our second thread on this topic

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement