Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can I get broadband/wifi if we have no phone line?

• 16-03-2020 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Yes, this might seem like the daftest question yet today (Blame the self isolation, I'm going nuts here.) so please move if I've posted in the wrong place.

Basically I'm a student living with my parents, who got rid of the broadband and wifi years ago because they don't use it. Now I'm off from college we have to attend online lectures and I've come to the horrible realization that my mobile data plan isn't going to cut it. (Don't start me on Virgin Media's so called Unlimited plan....Fair usage Policy my a**.)

What I want to know is..

1. If we have no phone line, can I still get broadband? or am I restricted to a dongle?

2. With the self isolation ongoing, is there an online way to order a router if i need one? I dont want endanger anyone else if I can keep interaction to a minimum.

3. I live in Louth, is there a certain provider thats better signal wise over here or has anybody got any recommendations or deals?

cheers.x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whodafunk

Yes, this might seem like the daftest question yet today (Blame the self isolation, I'm going nuts here.) so please move if I've posted in the wrong place.

Basically I'm a student living with my parents, who got rid of the broadband and wifi years ago because they don't use it. Now I'm off from college we have to attend online lectures and I've come to the horrible realization that my mobile data plan isn't going to cut it. (Don't start me on Virgin Media's so called Unlimited plan....Fair usage Policy my a**.)

What I want to know is..

1. If we have no phone line, can I still get broadband? or am I restricted to a dongle?

2. With the self isolation ongoing, is there an online way to order a router if i need one? I dont want endanger anyone else if I can keep interaction to a minimum.

3. I live in Louth, is there a certain provider thats better signal wise over here or has anybody got any recommendations or deals?

cheers.x

Yes Eir and 3 Network do a 4G Wifi dongle. About €30 per month for 59gb download limit. No phone line required and you can bring it on the move. Available in their stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,479 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What are your requirements for broadband, what’ll you be using it for, and how many people will be using it?

Have you ever used the hotspot feature on your phone? Just change your phone plan to a prepaid one with proper unlimited usage, like Three has for €20 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 MissDisaster

Thanks!

Its something I never thought about until it was too late really. Usual me. Am I right in saying there's no Unlimited option in Ireland? Only moved back a while ago and I have to keep reading the fine print when I excitedly find and "unlimited" deal anywhere.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What are your requirements for broadband, what’ll you be using it for, and how many people will be using it?

Have you ever used the hotspot feature on your phone? Just change your phone plan to a prepaid one with proper unlimited usage, like Three has for €20 a month.

Mainly for online classes but after that itd be netlix and gaming. Only me using it and only on the tv and laptop.

Im currently using Virgin media Hotspot on my phone as Im tied in for another few months. Would it be worth getting a three sim and a separate phone/router box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

You might not have an active phone line but does your house still have the copper lines. I have Eirs broadband only product ;‚¬54 per month. Its grand but depends on the distance to the nearest fibre cabinet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,479 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Mainly for online classes but after that itd be netlix and gaming. Only me using it and only on the tv and laptop.

Im currently using Virgin media Hotspot on my phone as Im tied in for another few months. Would it be worth getting a three sim and a separate phone/router box?

Totally. I used a €20 prepay for months while I was waiting for my fixed line to be ready. No getting caught out with a huge bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭stanley1

gomo sim + 4g LTE router, Huawei, tp link, draytek.etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

Most of Louth is covered by Siro . Comes in over your electricity line.
    Check with Vodafone , Digiweb & Sky.
    They all have address checkers on their websites .

stanley1 wrote: »

I think I understood half of that.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

stanley1 wrote: »

Half right. Three first, Gomo as a fallback. Eirs capacity sucks.
    I think I understood half of that.:o

1. Get a new Three sim
    2. Top up by €20 every 28 days
    3. Order something like these with express delivery: (or go to Argos and get it faster but with exposure to the public)
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Archer-MR600-Unlocked-Configuration-required/dp/B07S7DMY3H/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=TP+4G&qid=1584388325&sr=8-3
    or
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Unlocked-Networks-Genuine-Warranty-Network/dp/B08235ZNPV/
    4. Put sim in device
    5. Put device in front window - do speedtest
    6. Put device in rear window - do speedtest
    7. Leave it where faster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

ED E wrote: »
    Half right. Three first, Gomo as a fallback. Eirs capacity sucks.

1. Get a new Three sim
    2. Top up by €20 every 28 days
    3. Order something like these with express delivery: (or go to Argos and get it faster but with exposure to the public)
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Archer-MR600-Unlocked-Configuration-required/dp/B07S7DMY3H/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=TP+4G&qid=1584388325&sr=8-3
    or
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Unlocked-Networks-Genuine-Warranty-Network/dp/B08235ZNPV/
    4. Put sim in device
    5. Put device in front window - do speedtest
    6. Put device in rear window - do speedtest
    7. Leave it where faster

I am having the same problem as OP and i thought about using the three+4G LTE router as well. But I wonder did anyone try 5G?

What would be the best option in ireland now if I were to go with simcard 5G+router? i supposed the TP router you quoted there is fine?

https://grouptestwinner.com/best-4g-lte-router//
    https://grouptestwinner.com/5g-router-comparison/
    https://grouptestwinner.com/external-4g-antenna-aerial/
    So it looks 4G it is still the way to go for awhile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Most of Louth is covered by Siro . Comes in over your electricity line.
    Check with Vodafone , Digiweb & Sky.
    They all have address checkers on their websites .

Only available in Dundalk and Drogheda when I check the SIRO website. I know Louth is small but it's not limited to two towns. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭whodafunk

Hi All,

I’m in same boat - cannot get fixed broadband line. Ordered vodafone and engineer who came out said he knows the area and it’s simply not possible!

Anyway I’m using Huawei device with 4g Eir sim card. €30 per month but 50gb download cap. Can I move to Three for €20 per month? I guess more or less same download speeds but cheaper and no download cap?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

whodafunk wrote: »
    Hi All,

I’m in same boat - cannot get fixed broadband line. Ordered vodafone and engineer who came out said he knows the area and it’s simply not possible!

Anyway I’m using Huawei device with 4g Eir sim card. €30 per month but 50gb download cap. Can I move to Three for €20 per month? I guess more or less same download speeds but cheaper and no download cap?

Thanks
    a gomo sim will give you 80gb for 12:99 a month (ive just put my home network on that and a tenda 4g router) -3 coverage is dire where i am

or if you have 3 coverage and it works then go for that

Advertisement