Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now ye're talking - to a consultant in the HSE [Questions thread]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭JoChervil

padser wrote: »
    Would it be worth moving the "cupping" it's own dedicated thread where anyone who wants to engage with it can do so?

I'd be interested in getting any update the AMA guy had on

1) how the last month has gone,
    2) how he views the current numbers in Germany and South Korea (which have remained reasonably small but persistent over time)
    3) his views on our current pathway to relaxing restrictions
    4) his views on our evolving treatment options (any promising drugs / therapies, blood transfusion trials etc)
    5) his views on the need (or not) to get back to routine medical care for all

Well it should be in a subject covered by your 4th question. So why should it be dismissed? I think it is a valid question, while this thread almost died.

padser wrote: »
    Would it be worth moving the "cupping" it's own dedicated thread where anyone who wants to engage with it can do so?

I'd be interested in getting any update the AMA guy had on

1) how the last month has gone,
    2) how he views the current numbers in Germany and South Korea (which have remained reasonably small but persistent over time)
    3) his views on our current pathway to relaxing restrictions
    4) his views on our evolving treatment options (any promising drugs / therapies, blood transfusion trials etc)
    5) his views on the need (or not) to get back to routine medical care for all

So I am adding my question to the second one. Could it be used currently in South Korea and Germany, if it is a common method there?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4488563/#bib20

The quote from this article:
    “The puncturing and cupping (PC) method ... is common in China, Korea, and Germany.”

And the most important question, which I should have asked at the very beginning:

Are patients at ICU tested for iron overload? Or Iron levels in the blood? And if so, what are the results?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Lads, he's clearly left the building

Thank you for answering the questions you did though Pseudonym

I have one more question, which is actually related to all my previous questions.

Don't you think it is weird that the most people die in the most developed countries, while majority of countries in Asia are doing extremely well? Maybe it is a huge failure of modern medicine? Maybe modern medicine is in fact killing people, while less developed countries are using more traditional methods, while dealing with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

JoChervil wrote:
    I have one more question, which is actually related to all my previous questions.

I think you drove him out of the building

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Hi

I've noticed you've been very quiet. Is everything ok, or was this a goodbye? https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113454875&postcount=4929

If you're still answering questions:

How do you feel about the current numbers as of today? (Monday May 25th). Do you still feel we could reach 15k total mortalities by April next year?

Thanks as always for your work

Is there any way of seeing what that post is in response to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Mwengwe wrote: »
    Is there any way of seeing what that post is in response to

I think you'll have to find the post's number in the thread (#4929) and work your way backwards

I'm un-following this thread myself now. The consultant won't be back imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Happy you're back, though that last post made me really depressed.

Anyway, I have a more medical question, or two.

Regarding treatment protocols, what is the standard of care in Ireland for hospitalized Covid-19 patients?

Is interferon and an anticoagulant given on admission if the bloodwork supports it?

Any antivirals in use currently? If so, which ones?

Have rules about mechanical ventilation changed since March? Are you trying to keep patients off the vents as much as possible? Instead using high flow O2, proning and CPAP?

When the blodworks are indicating high D-dimers and CRP along with low lymphocyte counts, is the patient put on immunomodulators or suppressants? Would you be able to tell me/us what they are? Like, IL-6 inhibitors or glucocorticosteroids, or a different drug/method to blunt the cytokine storm?

When it does come to intubation, are lower preassures uses now when compared to March with higher O2 ratios?

Thanks again for taking the time to answer our layman questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Pseudonym121

Hi Hmmzis,

Do you mind explaining what part made you depressed? I don’t think I’ve said anything which isn’t fairly common knowledge. Plus I think getting a vaccine in the timeline we are looking at is amazing news. They used to take decades and even more recently I think the record is like five or six years. Getting something within the year is an amazing testament to the power of science.

I can only imagine it may have been that you thought this was done and dusted, am I right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

How do we evaluate whether the lockdown was good value for money?
    In a clinical setting how would it be evaluated what is an acceptable cost per year of life (presumably corrected for age) gained and would you have any typical figures that might be used for non covid issues for comparison?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

What’s your take on Joe McHugh saying that they can’t afford to fix schools (Pupil teacher ratio etc) so just plan to open them without the 2m social distancing at all?

I’m dying to get back to school (teacher and parent) but at the same time I’m concerned that we are going to be in classrooms with up to 9 different classes with 30 odd students a day when it’s been deemed by the experts that we need to be 2m apart and all other workplaces are expected to implement that

I’m equally terrified we are going to be asked to teach both in school students and home students simultaneously. It nearly broke me minding/teaching my own while juggling distance learning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Hi Hmmzis,

Do you mind explaining what part made you depressed? I don’t think I’ve said anything which isn’t fairly common knowledge. Plus I think getting a vaccine in the timeline we are looking at is amazing news. They used to take decades and even more recently I think the record is like five or six years. Getting something within the year is an amazing testament to the power of science.

I can only imagine it may have been that you thought this was done and dusted, am I right?

The kicker was the part about the vaccines not providing any efficacy beyond a few months to a year. From the articles that I've been reading the prognosis/estimations were in the tetanus jab region of 5-10 years. Ah well, if it's a year we can live with it. We get flu jabs every year in the office anyway.
    Also, here (https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/06/15/science.abc7424/tab-pdf) they found MBCs in a SARS survivor this year and they're still packing a punch. Btw. it's a great paper, could be a way to snuff out these sarbecoviruses for good, or at least some of them.
    So yeah, I was hoping for longer duration effect from the vaccines.

The other was about the complications the survivors get. Doesn't seem to be much data on that around (that I've seen at least). The few papers I've seen that follow up on patients after hospital discharge have shown rather positive signs of lungs healing and those dark lines (potential scarring) diminishing. Since you're seeing things first hand I reckon you'd have a better picture of what's happening on a bigger scale over a longer period. Renal damage was new to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Hi, you seem really positive that we'll have a vaccine in the next 8-10 months. Will you have any reservations about the vaccines safety?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,926 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

If the consultant is back, is 'snotting' ( ejecting snot out of your nose done usually by people exercising) a way covid19 could be spread? if you can pass the virus by sneezing why not snotting?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭locohobo

Hey up Bud....See you haven't been replying on here since 16/06...Are you getting fed up of us??....
    As I have mentioned before...Back in 09-10/19 I had legionnaires disease...Am wondering if the T-cells produced during that episode would be beneficial in providing some resistance/ protection to covid...See this extract...
    "MCs are part of the immune system's first line of defence against the bacteria and in this case responded to the infection by secreting a chemical messenger called interleukin-12.

This in turn drove T cells to produce large amounts of interferon gamma, another powerful chemical messenger of the immune system that then fed back and instructed the MCs to kill the engulfed Legionella bacteria. All this happened within 48 hours.

"With a knowledge of the immune cell circuitry involved in defence against Legionella, we can understand what an effective immune response looks like," said Professor Elizabeth Hartland, University of Melbourne lead researcher at the Doherty Institute.

"Knowing this, we can now focus on how to manipulate and optimise the immune response to fight infection."

from....
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/06/160616110247.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

What do you think about the fact that daily worldwide cases have pretty much doubled since April yet daily deaths have significantly dropped? Down to inaccurate reporting of deaths in places like India and USA or have we really gotten that much better at treating the virus in a few months?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭rahmalec

Kerry25x wrote: »
    What do you think about the fact that daily worldwide cases have pretty much doubled since April yet daily deaths have significantly dropped? Down to inaccurate reporting of deaths in places like India and USA or have we really gotten that much better at treating the virus in a few months?

That's a great question actually, and would love to hear an opinion from someone more in the know.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Kerry25x wrote: »

I'll throw in a theory based on mere speculative observation. I think the number of deaths are down because people in the danger age gruops are more cautions and cases are up because the lower less affected age gruops are catching the disease more easily but not being as much affected.

My emperical evidence? the number of older people I see shopping wearing masks vs the younger ones out partying in Stephens green last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

How are you getting on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Yester wrote: »
    How are you getting on?
    I was wondering the same, we haven't had an update in a while I think,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Wow.
    I read this thread.
    It was really good, but seems to have died.
    Thats a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Wow.
    I read this thread.
    It was really good, but seems to have died.
    Thats a pity.

The dude was forecasting his own extreme vulnerability to COVID so maybe he was right.

Good thread though, v interesting. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

Hi,

I've checked back a lot in the hope you might post again. I found your posts to be both interesting and informative.

I'd love your thoughts about where we're at now and what we can do if anything to avoid continuous lockdowns.

Hope you're keeping well!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I think about this person regularly as well. They had some very insightful observations.

What a different time it was.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

s1ippy wrote: »
    I think about this person regularly as well. They had some very insightful observations.

What a different time it was.

Seems like years ago.

Has anyone DM'd them to see if they are ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭thegetawaycar

I know we haven't gotten around to getting answers recently but I just want to ask if there's any word in the hospitals on how they believe a vaccine/vaccines will change the landscape for Covid restrictions and the timeframe expected for them.

Hope the consultant is keeping well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

I know we haven't gotten around to getting answers recently but I just want to ask if there's any word in the hospitals on how they believe a vaccine/vaccines will change the landscape for Covid restrictions and the timeframe expected for them.

Hope the consultant is keeping well!

Consultant is fine I think, I mistakenly asked this question in the answers thread and this is the reply from Niamh.

'He has assured me he will get back to the thread in his own time which is why I have left it open this long.'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

It would be good to hear from him at this point in time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭hesaidshesaid

It would be good to hear from him at this point in time.

I really wish he'd come back, his was the only thread I read on here during lockdown. A voice of reason. I often check to see if he's posted again. Like others here, I hope he's safe and healthy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement