Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor Fitness Equipment in Dublin

Options
  • 17-03-2020 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭

With the gyms closed, might be an idea to have a list of locations around Dublin City with outdoor fitness equipment.

Dolphin Road on the semi circled green space
    Sandymount Strand along the pathway

*Remember to wear latex gloves, disinfect the bars before and after use & use hand sanitiser.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

With the gyms closed, might be an idea to have a list of locations around Dublin City with outdoor fitness equipment.

Dolphin Road on the semi circled green space
    Sandymount Strand along the pathway

*Remember to wear latex gloves, disinfect the bars before and after use & use hand sanitiser.

Along Clontarf Strand.

Where on Dolphin Road? Near Good Council?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Birneybau wrote: »
    Along Clontarf Strand.

It's about halfway between Maxol at the Barn and Good Counsel. The park were Dolphin Road meets Mourne Rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Birneybau wrote: »

Here:
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/mF8CyW4yDRiescZC6

It's relatively new as well.

It's about halfway between Maxol at the Barn and Good Counsel. The park were Dolphin Road meets Mourne Rd.

I know it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Herbert park has a few. . It has a shoulder press and lat pull down machine which I haven’t seen elsewhere. Utilises you’re body weight so is ok if you do high rep ranges..

• Advertisement

Sundrive Park also has the outdoor equipment, venturing up there later with some latex gloves and disinfectant. Already can't handle the no gym :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

There's some near Donore Harriers in Chapelizod. Pull up bars/dip bars/monkey bars and a couple of ****ty wheelie things which I haven't paid too much attention to.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

A bit further out from city, but Waterstown Park in Palmerstown has outdoor gym equipment and plenty of space to get a good walk or run in too. It's just down by Stewart's leisure centre in the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Griffith, Albert and Fairview parks in Dublin 9 and 3 have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Map of locations: http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/RLl I'll try to a more.

If nothing shows, click 'Run'. May not work on certain devices.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

There's some in Father Collins park in Clongriffin

• Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Albert Collage/Hampstead Park have a few as can be seen here... just need to walk to the far side of the park towards DCU direction.... never used them but we try em tomorrow...

view_x_large_rfSF83CMDqBxPm9a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,968 ✭✭✭✭GBX

There are some in:

Ballymount Park

Rathcoole Park

Not in the city but still accessible to all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Griffith park now have them closed off. Not sure if they have done this elsewhere but possibly if all together.

Edit: Clontarf too.

Sundrive ones were still in use on Monday anyway, haven't been up since.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

There's some down by Capital Dock on the quays, the water side of Brewdog. Not many but there's a few machines/benches anyway.

There's also some seats there that have solar panelled usb charging ports which would be handy for chilling in the summer and being able to charge a phone/kindle still.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Mount Bernard park between Phibsborough and Cabra (just beside the Cabra Luas stop).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Strumms wrote: »
    Albert Collage/Hampstead Park have a few as can be seen here... just need to walk to the far side of the park towards DCU direction.... never used them but we try em tomorrow...

view_x_large_rfSF83CMDqBxPm9a.jpg

Are they not more like rehab equipment for old people?

Waterstown park equipment seems to be still open. No signs up prohibiting use. But it's mostly the same stuff as Albert College/Hamspstead park.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Are they not more like rehab equipment for old people?

Don’t think so, people of all ages seem to use them. Probably could provide that fûnction too, but so do gyms packed with young people using equipment next to older people and indeed younger ones rehabbing from various conditions.

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    Don’t think so, people of all ages seem to use them. Probably could provide that fûnction too, but so do gyms packed with young people using equipment next to older people and indeed younger ones rehabbing from various conditions.

But they're zero resistance right? As in you're not going to get stronger using them.

There's a seated pullup thing in Waterstown which offers some resistance from bodyweight but isn't great. It's a pity they put in all that equipment that looks expensive but they can't put in a simple overhead bar.

Stark wrote: »
    But they're zero resistance right? As in you're not going to get stronger using them.

There's a seated pullup thing in Waterstown which offers some resistance from bodyweight but isn't great. It's a pity they put in all that equipment that looks expensive but they can't put in a simple overhead bar.

I’ve only actually ever walked past them, but I must investigate and report back. Seems to be a counter weight to the rear of a couple of the machines.

I found the site of the company who make and install them...

https://www.outfit.ie/

Standard outdoor gym equipment it seems.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Poppintree Park
    The bogies in Cabra also.

Found the perfect tree round the corner from my estate to hang gymnastic rings off so I'm a happy bunny. At least until a curtain twitcher notices and starts hassling me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Stark wrote: »
    Found the perfect tree round the corner from my estate to hang gymnastic rings off so I'm a happy bunny. At least until a curtain twitcher notices and starts hassling me anyway.

Nothing wrong with that, people sharing and congregating at facilities like the ones at Clontarf could have been problematic before they were closed off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭Griselda

You can do a lot with resistance bands and an open mind.

Griselda wrote: »
    You can do a lot with resistance bands and an open mind.

Kinky

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WashYourHands

Are people in this thread going out and using shared equipment? I thought the virus can live on the surface of objects for hours.

baords wrote: »
    Are people in this thread going out and using shared equipment? I thought the virus can live on the surface of objects for hours.

I am, latex gloves on and avoid touching anything until I have them off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I am, latex gloves on and avoid touching anything until I have them off.
    I hope you know the technique for removing the gloves without contaminating your hands.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement