Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor Fitness Equipment in Dublin

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Augme

I am, latex gloves on and avoid touching anything until I have them off.

Definitely worth disinfecting the equipment before you use them as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Esel wrote: »
    I hope you know the technique for removing the gloves without contaminating your hands.

Normally leave them on until I get home (15 min walk), wash them in antibacterial soap, take them off at the wrist and then wash my hands.

Worrying about of kids on the machines today in Sundrive, just messing about, hands all over them. Will be bringing disinfection spray next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Normally leave them on until I get home (15 min walk), wash them in antibacterial soap, take them off at the wrist and then wash my hands.

Not trying to be smart but the gloves sound like a waste of time in that case. Your skin is an effective barrier to the virus, problem is when you touch your mucus membranes (nose, eyes, mouth) with hands that have the virus on them. And the virus stays more effectively on gloves than it does on skin.

Might be better to bring some soap and some water for washing your hands immediately after you're finished with your workout.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭WashYourHands

Worrying about of kids on the machines today in Sundrive, just messing about, hands all over them. Will be bringing disinfection spray next time.

Using shared exercise equipment outdoors during a pandemic, when gyms have been closed and where people have been advised to stay at home except for essential travel and exercise within 2km, seems a bit like bending the rules. Would you recommend it as a way to stay healthy?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

The outdoor equipment in the park beside me has council notices on it saying not to use it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Stark wrote: »
    Not trying to be smart but the gloves sound like a waste of time in that case. Your skin is an effective barrier to the virus, problem is when you touch your mucus membranes (nose, eyes, mouth) with hands that have the virus on them. And the virus stays more effectively on gloves than it does on skin.

Might be better to bring some soap and some water for washing your hands immediately after you're finished with your workout.

This is what I found when experimenting with gloves doing daily tasks. You're either spreading any potential infection to every surface you touch much more effectively than with bare hands or you're changing gloves every couple of minutes.

I think gloves are more appropriate for a surgical and high risk setting with boxes and boxes of gloves and safe disposal bins on hand; while hand and surface hygiene is a better approach for normal day to day use.

Just yesterday I passed a lad cycling while rubbing his nose with a blue latex-gloved hand, completely counterproductive!

On the issue of public exercise equipment the stuff I passed has been partially disassembled to put it out of use. Electing to contact shared public surfaces like it would be fairly stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

The equipment on Dolphin Road is currently resembling a gym. 9 people using them, freely switching between them. Not a glove or drop of disinfectant to be seen.

Not good to see at all

Advertisement