Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone considering a one way ticket out of Ireland?

Options
  • 17-03-2020 4:11am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 TravelTiger

I'm very tempted to get a one way ticket out of the country at the moment. To a place with no closed borders yet and who have been doing an amazing job of containment. I also have a friend in the same area there for chats.

I do NOT trust that our health system can handle this. I'll be surprised if they can deal with 20% of it.

I can feel tension brewing in my family over difference of opinion over how serious this is. About 80% of them can't see what this has the potential to do.

I'm single. No kids and no mortgage and my gut feeling on how this is going to play out in Irelsnd is not good at all. Like; really not good. Perhaps it's only a matter of time till either Ireland completely shuts up shop and/or the other country does the same and I'm trapped.

Have you considered doing the same? Leaving the country?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,205 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Going to a place with no closed borders would be wreckless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 TravelTiger

Going to a place with no closed borders would be wreckless.

I was waiting for a righteousness reply like this, just not so soon!

- I've no symptoms. Yes I'm aware I don't need to have them to have it
    - It's still early days for Ireland yet
    - if the country I'm going to thought Irish visitors were a threat then they'd have added them to their current "Nope. No chance" list of banned countries. They haven't.

Not yet anyway.

I feel the window is closing for anyone who wants to escape this country in that regard though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

I'm very tempted to get a one way ticket out of the country at the moment. To a place with no closed borders yet and who have been doing an amazing job of containment. I also have a friend in the same area there for chats.

Where?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Ironicname wrote: »
    Where?
    Cloud Cuckoo Land.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 TravelTiger

I'd like to keep the country to myself. But if you know how to work Google you'll find out in a few seconds that there's some options left.

For now.

These restrictions are being slowly implemented so there's not a full scale panic. Or st least not more than it is now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

I'd like to keep the country to myself.

Why, praytell? It's not like there's going to be a massive run on tickets to wherever it is due to a thread on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭endacl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I'd like to know the name of this mysterious country that hasn't been affected and has a better health service than Ireland.

Sounds absolutely stupid to get on a plane right now.

I take it you are living with your parents OP or people who you disagree with over how to handle this situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

I'd like to keep the country to myself. But if you know how to work Google you'll find out in a few seconds that there's some options left.

Then sorry chief, it's impossible to give you an opinion because I can't see any options myself where I would be any safer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Is it not a bit cold in Antarctica this time of year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,387 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I'm very tempted to get a one way ticket out of the country at the moment. To a place with no closed borders yet and who have been doing an amazing job of containment . . .
    If their "amazing job of containment" doesn't include any travel restrictions, then I think they may been lucky rather than skilfull.

But it turns out, eleven minutes later, . . .
    . . . if the country I'm going to thought Irish visitors were a threat then they'd have added them to their current "Nope. No chance" list of banned countries . . . .
    . . . that they do have travel restrictions - quote tough travel restrictions, even. Just not, as yet, travel restrictions affecting Ireland. Their "amazing job of containment" is not so amazing that it extends to controlling entry by people from countries where the infection is already spreading.

Coyly, the OP does not identify the country. Which means that we have no information about an extremely relevant factor; are Irish visitors entitled to free public healthcare in this country that does an amazing job of containment without travel restrictions? If not, what are the healthcare costs likely to be, and how would the OP propose to cover them, should he become infected? If the OP is worried about the capacity of the Irish health service to treat him, should he not also worry about the willingness of a foreign health service to treat him?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

I do NOT trust that our health system can handle this. I'll be surprised if they can deal with 20% of it.

I can feel tension brewing in my family over difference of opinion over how serious this is. About 80% of them can't see what this has the potential to do.

I'm single. No kids and no mortgage and my gut feeling on how this is going to play out in Irelsnd is not good at all. Like; really not good. Perhaps it's only a matter of time till either Ireland completely shuts up shop and/or the other country does the same and I'm trapped.

Spend the last 2 days thinking it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

I am coming back from a country this weekend shall remain name less they are not reporting or testing like ireland it makes a difference lots of disinformation and suspicion here.
    I am not sick or have any symptoms do plan to be very careful on my journey, I will self isolate when i am back, plan a return after 4 weeks or sooner if possible, have a return ticket maybe no flights or it might be totally out of control here by that time.
    If you leave maybe you cannot return most people where i am would rather be in the own country if they are sick.
    You will need insurance to cover especially for corona-virus don't think that available.
    Help a neighbour lots of volunteering workers needed if i cant leave i will get stuck in your country needs you.
    Generally countries don't want foreigners coming from another especially with the virus.
    I had planned my return before the virus started and have commitments so i don't have a choice but if i was sick i would cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,963 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yeah, where? What visa free virus free haven have you identified?

They often talk about Cuba having perhaps the greatest public health system on the planet. Well, it has 250 cases of its own so far.

Also, you'll have a job getting there, wherever there is. In another 48 hours there will be basically no public flights in or out of Ireland and in or out or within the EU. Only essential staff on special orders and traceable freight will be moving.

You could always attempt to get a Ferry to Britain to connect to a flight, but a) the ferries will likely be subject to similar restrictions b) you'd have to be out and about in public in the UK and c) any flights that do depart London will not to be going to Europe or North America, so you'd better have a plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,372 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

About the only county I would consider would be Taiwan. Low infection rate, high testing rate, they have learned a lot from SARs. Fascinating country thats on my bucket list to visit at some point.
    FWIW OP I wouldn't recommend China if that's where you are thinking of. Cold and flu medicine is banned for sale in pharmacies at the moment. Any sign of fever (your temperature is taken many times every day as you go about your daily business,even outside of Wuhan which is still in total lockdown) and you are hauled off to the hospital and stuck in a ward with many other infected/potentially infected. Fun times, not.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Bye, close the door on your way out please

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Supercell wrote: »
    About the only county I would consider would be Taiwan. Low infection rate, high testing rate, they have learned a lot from SARs. Fascinating country thats on my bucket list to visit at some point.
    FWIW OP I wouldn't recommend China if that's where you are thinking of. Cold and flu medicine is banned for sale in pharmacies at the moment. Any sign of fever (your temperature is taken many times every day as you go about your daily business,even outside of Wuhan which is still in total lockdown) and you are hauled off to the hospital and stuck in a ward with many other infected/potentially infected. Fun times, not.

Why are cold and flu medicines banned in China??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

If people want to go let them go, to be honest we don’t need that sort around. Everywhere I am seeing communities pulling together, helping out so those that don’t want to let them off

If they did get sick they would probably be a pain in the neck for staff anyway so good riddance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Ooh I wanna play.....I'm gonna guess Singapore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Has Irelands response not been good? Proactive?
    Yes the health service will be on its knees should this thing take off in Ireland but the quick affirmative response already taken should help with that, no? I know there are a bunch of testing facilities being mobilised, one in the Phoenix Park with builders in it as I type this.

Or am I just blinkered by the fact that im in the UK and the response here has been shocking by comparison???

• Advertisement

No health service can handle this should containment fail to be implemented and followed. So... leaving Ireland to be quarantined in another country for two weeks, and then have your "freedom" of movement limited because this virus is not going to disappear quickly. You have no support. Your friend likely has no influence over there. And it'll cost a fortune because you'll be fleeced for everything because you have no other option...

As for being single, yadda, yadda, yadda... I'm similar, although I do have the mortgage, although dunno how that's am important factor. I will tell you an important factor though... bailing on your parents before they've got a handle on the situation. Passing the buck to some siblings are we? The greatest crisis of our lifestime and you want to leave your parents behind?

Yeah. No. Not for me.. and I do have many legitimate reasons to leave Ireland and return to China... but I feel it's better to wait a month to see how everything develops (or a month more depending on everything.... I came back to Ireland in January for a 3 week holiday)
    Larbre34 wrote: »
    Also, you'll have a job getting there, wherever there is. In another 48 hours there will be basically no public flights in or out of Ireland and in or out or within the EU. Only essential staff on special orders and traceable freight will be moving.

They're not shutting down completely. There will continue to be limited flights around the globe.

I know this because I'll likely have to return to China within the next month or so, due to work commitments (and a girlfriend). I've spoken to a variety of airlines, and they've all said that they will shut down the majority of their fleets, but there will likely be one or two routes shared between airlines to keep the routes open.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,372 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

sasta le wrote: »
    Why are cold and flu medicines banned in China??

Because they suppress fever and thus people with mild versions of COVID go undetected and can still walk around infecting people.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I was going to say Greenland but then I googled it and it now has its first case

• Registered Users Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Talkers and doers.

You'll still be here tomorrow. And next month. Anyone who's serious right now doesn't go on boards to vent their brainfarts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

theteal wrote:
    Has Irelands response not been good? Proactive?

Only time will tell. I'm guessing Turkey or North Korea; both reporting near zero infections. Or somewhere like Barbados; no infections, decent health service, small island and lots of other obvious benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

Good luck.don't send a postcard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Another Ireland bashing thread amidst a global pandemic, good man. I did laugh reading this one though which makes a nice change. Worst thought out idea I've seen, possibly ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭comment

Would you be entitled to medical care wherever you go as a visitor? Doubt travel insurance would kick in if you travel now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Why?
    Sure we are in the middle of it.Might as well just get it over with now at this stage.If you have no commitments and are young and healthy then I do not see what you have to leave for.It's a couple of months, not the rest of your life.
    I see absolutely no point whatsoever in this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Cook Islands

But they are only allowing flights from New Zealand, so you need to get there first.

Population of main island about 7,000.

English speaking, easy going and perfect weather all year.

Advertisement