Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone considering a one way ticket out of Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,542 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Ficheall wrote: »
    Cloud Cuckoo Land.

He’s already there.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,387 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

comment wrote: »
    Would you be entitled to medical care wherever you go as a visitor? Doubt travel insurance would kick in if you travel now.
    Travel insurance, if it does kick in, is normally focussed on repatriating you ASAP, for the very good reason that once you are repatriated the travel insurer's obligation to you ends and your home country health service, plus any domestic medical insurance you may have, takes over. Basically, if you're relying on a travel insurere they'll have you in an air ambulance before the ink is dry on your covid test result.

So, even if he already holds or can buy travel insurance that doesn't include a Covid-19 exclusion, the OP's strategy could only work if:

(a) he plans to escape to a country where he is entitled to public healthcare at public expense; or

(b) he is fabulously wealthy, and can buy any healthcare he might need in the country he plans to escape to.

The OP is coyly declining to say which of these circumstances applies to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Field east

thegills wrote: »
    Only time will tell. I'm guessing Turkey or North Korea; both reporting near zero infections. Or somewhere like Barbados; no infections, decent health service, small island and lots of other obvious benefits.

And of course everyone in Barbados has been tested (!) and all turned out to be negative

• Registered Users Posts: 18,542 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If your going healthy and no underlying conditions all you have to do is ride it out. Your at very low risk of developing a serious condition and even if the absolute worst happens and it’s a total **** show the younger healthier people will get priority to equipment and care.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Hire a yacht and go sailing

• Advertisement

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Travel insurance, if it does kick in, is normally focussed on repatriating you ASAP, for the very good reason that once you are repatriated the travel insurer's obligation to you ends and your home country health service, plus any domestic medical insurance you may have, takes over. Basically, if you're relying on a travel insurere they'll have you in an air ambulance before the ink is dry on your covid test result.

So, even if he already holds or can buy travel insurance that doesn't include a Covid-19 exclusion, the OP's strategy could only work if:

(a) he plans to escape to a country where he is entitled to public healthcare at public expense; or

(b) he is fabulously wealthy, and can buy any healthcare he might need in the country he plans to escape to.

The OP is coyly declining to say which of these circumstances applies to him.

I've never heard anything like that before.. The costs of getting someone home are extreme. My costs for my friend who had to be moved back to Australia were over 100k, and that was from the hospital, not even an airlift. That money will go far in any government-run treatment of the virus.

I've never heard anything like that before.. The costs of getting someone home are extreme. My costs for my friend who had to be moved back to Australia were over 100k, and that was from the hospital, not even an airlift. That money will go far in any government-run treatment of the virus.
    Government-run healthcare is generally not provided at a subsidised cost to tourists with insurance; the insurers are billed the full cost of the treatment. It would certainly be cheaper for a travel insurer to airlift someone home than to pay the full cost of a fortnight in an ICU isolation unit.

(Plus, when it comes to triaging places in ICU isolation units, which the Australians are already planning for, tourists with health insurance that covers the cost of an airlit home will be quite far down the queue.)

Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Field east

I'm very tempted to get a one way ticket out of the country at the moment. To a place with no closed borders yet and who have been doing an amazing job of containment. I also have a friend in the same area there for chats.

I do NOT trust that our health system can handle this. I'll be surprised if they can deal with 20% of it.

I can feel tension brewing in my family over difference of opinion over how serious this is. About 80% of them can't see what this has the potential to do.

I'm single. No kids and no mortgage and my gut feeling on how this is going to play out in Irelsnd is not good at all. Like; really not good. Perhaps it's only a matter of time till either Ireland completely shuts up shop and/or the other country does the same and I'm trapped.

Have you considered doing the same? Leaving the country?

No need to leave. Instead, buy a tent and pick a very isolated area in the country that is sheltered and cannot be seen with a stream beside it. There is plenty of woodland to select from, commonage areas , valleys , out farms that are in very isolated areas, etc, etc, etc. That solves the supply of accommodation, water provision and toilet facilities. Make sure that the tent is also supplied with a shovel. Only outstanding matter is the food element. So lots of tinned / dry food options are there.
    Finally (1) use a bomb kettle, gas stove to cook with to keep level of smoke down and (2) put a few signs around your. Selected spot saying ‘KEEP AWAY, VIRUS INFECTED’

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Stop giving them good advice.....we could do with a good clear out of the less desirables in Ireland, this is our chance. Tell them all to head anywhere. It will be safer in that country, then just shut down all passport

Job done

• Advertisement

Field east wrote: »
    No need to leave. Instead, buy a tent and pick a very isolated area in the country that is sheltered and cannot be seen with a stream beside it. There is plenty of woodland to select from, commonage areas , valleys , out farms that are in very isolated areas, etc, etc, etc. That solves the supply of accommodation, water provision and toilet facilities. Make sure that the tent is also supplied with a shovel. Only outstanding matter is the food element. So lots of tinned / dry food options are there.
    Finally (1) use a bomb kettle, gas stove to cook with to keep level of smoke down and (2) put a few signs around your. Selected spot saying ‘KEEP AWAY, VIRUS INFECTED’

A lot easier to just stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,351 ✭✭✭✭8-10

There's no cases yet on the Isle of Man. And it's super close to us.

Godspeed

• Registered Users Posts: 12,703 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I'm very tempted to get a one way ticket out of the country at the moment. To a place with no closed borders yet and who have been doing an amazing job of containment. I also have a friend in the same area there for chats.

I do NOT trust that our health system can handle this. I'll be surprised if they can deal with 20% of it.

I can feel tension brewing in my family over difference of opinion over how serious this is. About 80% of them can't see what this has the potential to do.

I'm single. No kids and no mortgage and my gut feeling on how this is going to play out in Irelsnd is not good at all. Like; really not good. Perhaps it's only a matter of time till either Ireland completely shuts up shop and/or the other country does the same and I'm trapped.

Jesus Christ what a drama queen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Cuba? Good health system as far as I know and only 4 cases so far. No idea if there borders are open.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

Drama Queen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

I’m in a country that’s really shutdown, shutdown more than ireland. Whatever about the health system and Ireland’s ability to handle an epidemic, it’s seriously seriously boring living in these conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Travelling is what caused this yo spread in the first place.

You might end up infecting some other place

You might have it or countless other infectious dieseases

Dots1982 wrote: »
    Cuba? Good health system as far as I know and only 4 cases so far. No idea if there borders are open.

They've agreed to let a cruise ship dock there so the sick passengers can be looked after. No other Caribbean country would allow them to dock.

https://twitter.com/BrunoRguezP/status/1239560107412914176

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Greyfox

No never. Ireland is my home and I'd rather go a year without sex then have to leave this wonderful country

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Supercell wrote: »
    About the only county I would consider would be Taiwan. Low infection rate, high testing rate, they have learned a lot from SARs. Fascinating country thats on my bucket list to visit at some point.

Plus they apparently identified band redflagged this, called it Wuhan coronavirus in December and got ahead it it all there

• Advertisement

Taiwan made a complete hames of handling the SARS epidemic, and suffered very badly for it. So they learned their lesson, and were very quick out of the trap this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭hobie21

Hire a yacht and go sailing

Brilliant idea. Wish I had a nice boat

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Travelling is what caused this yo spread in the first place.
    It seems the first symptom of this disease is the urge to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,239 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I was waiting for a righteousness reply like this, just not so soon!

- I've no symptoms. Yes I'm aware I don't need to have them to have it

The no restriction risk isn't about you. If you have it, you have it no matter where you go.
    The risk is that you don't have it but this place is letting in plane loads of people who do. The fact that had to be explained is a bit mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Please, off with you, we've enough headcases in this country as it is

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

Is it not a bit cold in Antarctica this time of year?

It was a balmy 18 degrees a few weeks back.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/hottest-day-on-record-in-antarctica-as-temperature-hits-18-degrees-1.4165652

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Where is this magical land. I couldn't be added reading through the thread. Did the OP say or is this just a wind up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭trashcan

8-10 wrote: »
    There's no cases yet on the Isle of Man. And it's super close to us.

Godspeed

And I believe the craic is 90.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭leavingirl

Perhaps a good thing since you will be leaving the country anyway. The greatest financial depression is here now. Forgot 2008. Forget 1987 and the 1930s. The problem is though the depression will be global.

Advertisement