Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone considering a one way ticket out of Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

This is a strange thing to say at this time. The only thing that I can think of from his words is a Recession. What do you think?.

MINISTER FOR FINANCE Paschal Donohoe has said a range of measures are being examined by government this week to support citizens and businesses, and said the “normal” of how the country operated a few weeks ago is not something “we will be returning to”.
    “I think the normal we all know a number of weeks ago, before the onslaught of Covid-19 into our lives,” he said. “That is a normal we will not be returning back to – if ever. In terms of how we will be engaging with each other and the shape of our economy.”

Link: https://www.thejournal.ie/donohoe-covid-supports-5048796-Mar2020/

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

A friend of a friend flew to Koh Phangan in Thailand. If he's gonna be stuck anywhere, he wants to be stuck there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,936 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

This is a strange thing to say at this time. The only thing that I can think of from his words is a Recession. What do you think?.

Link: https://www.thejournal.ie/donohoe-covid-supports-5048796-Mar2020/

Global society, public interactions, mass gatherings, simple office work, all a huge part of what our economies are based on may never happen in the same way ever again. Hes preparing people for the potential massive permanent shifts in how we live our day to day lives.

We might beat this thing but what next? We were shown as a species and global society to be woefully unprepared for it and we cannot let that happen again so we need to look at everything and change what is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Computer Science Student

Not sure why everyone is slating the OP. He makes a valid point. Ireland is about get very testy and boring over the next few months with pubs closed along with everything else. It is OK for folks that are a bit introverted and have no issue locking themselves up on boards.ie for that period but for the more outgoing among us, it raises a valid point - could there be some place better we could be for our own sanity over the coming months?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Talisman

I hear Rockall is good this time of year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,327 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Not sure why everyone is slating the OP. He makes a valid point. Ireland is about get very testy and boring over the next few months with pubs closed along with everything else. It is OK for folks that are a bit introverted and have no issue locking themselves up on boards.ie for that period but for the more outgoing among us, it raises a valid point - could there be some place better we could be for our own sanity over the coming months?

I propose that we should gather all ye full-time-mad-bastards up and put you on the Skelligs with a few DJ decks and periodically send over an air-drop of a few cans to keep yiz happy

It will prevent gobshites spreading it on the rest of the population. It would be safer than opening up Temple Bar again.

We can come back in 6 months and pick up any survivors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Not sure why everyone is slating the OP. He makes a valid point. Ireland is about get very testy and boring over the next few months with pubs closed

Because we feel the OP is been very silly and completely overreacting are your post is nearly as bad. Things are just as bad or worse in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

I propose that we should gather all ye full-time-mad-bastards up and put you on the Skelligs with a few DJ decks and periodically send over an air-drop of a few cans to keep yiz happy

It will prevent gob****es spreading it on the rest of the population. It would be safer than opening up Temple Bar again.

It's posts like this that are ridiculous......

Why the **** would we bother picking any survivors up??

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Greyfox wrote: »
    Because we feel the OP is been very silly and completely overreacting are your post is nearly as bad. Things are just as bad or worse in other countries.

If I had the freedom I’d consider leaving Europe. You’d just have to be careful where’d you go. You’d want some place remote, warm and with a good possibility of unhooking your mind from the constant stream of negative news. Cuba has good healthcare and ****e internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

thegills wrote: »
    Only time will tell. I'm guessing Turkey or North Korea; both reporting near zero infections.

That's not true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

I'm very tempted to get a one way ticket out of the country at the moment. To a place with no closed borders yet and who have been doing an amazing job of containment. I also have a friend in the same area there for chats.

I do NOT trust that our health system can handle this. I'll be surprised if they can deal with 20% of it.

I can feel tension brewing in my family over difference of opinion over how serious this is. About 80% of them can't see what this has the potential to do.

I'm single. No kids and no mortgage and my gut feeling on how this is going to play out in Irelsnd is not good at all. Like; really not good. Perhaps it's only a matter of time till either Ireland completely shuts up shop and/or the other country does the same and I'm trapped.

Have you considered doing the same? Leaving the country?

wouldn't like to be with you in the trench. whats the plan? when we come through this, and we will i suppose you'll be on the first plane back.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

serious question are canaries off limit now :confused: id rather chance being in +20c and climbing then enjoying the ever lasting global freezing in ireland. as seems there will be f all to do for good next month or so.

The pubs close and that’s the final straw for the Irish.
    Time to abandon ship
    Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I would put ireland ahead of most countries you'd want to be stuck in for something like this. The opportunities for outdoor adventure while keeping a safe social distance are endless.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

It will prevent gobshites spreading it on the rest of the population. It would be safer than opening up Temple Bar again.

Can i go too, that sounds class

• Registered Users Posts: 11,364 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Greenland is the place to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

I must go visit Sherkin Island today have been meaning to do it for a while im sure the locals wouldnt be happy!

Anyone with a boat fancy coming and invading lambay island? I hear the owners come out to tell you to leave but we can say we are refugees

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Singapore maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Anyone that leaves the country right now should be given no assistance when they look to come back in the coming weeks/months.

Anyone that leaves the country right now should be given no assistance when they look to come back in the coming weeks/months.

“You are on your own.”
    That’s what you should expect if you leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Calypso Realm

Very few optimal destinations at this point, even if you were permitted entry! Apparently one of the reasons Singapore is doing so well is that following their prior experience with SARS they restricted travel to and from China.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

UrbanFret wrote:
    wouldn't like to be with you in the trench. whats the plan? when we come through this, and we will i suppose you'll be on the first plane back.

Ha.
    I'm single. No kids.

Shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

How about considering the OP is overwhelmed, people don't handle stress the same way.
    Maybe suggesting they talk to someone to help them rationalise the situation and handle the stress.

MargeS wrote:
    How about considering the OP is overwhelmed, people don't handle stress the same way. Maybe suggesting they talk to someone to help them rationalise the situation and handle the stress.

How about you do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,223 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I can’t link to it, but anybody with Instagram, go to the musician Andrew Bird’s page, just recorded a vid of the Handsome Families ‘Don’t Be Scared’... unreal, and you won’t be, scared :)

I'm very tempted to get a one way ticket out of the country at the moment. To a place with no closed borders yet and who have been doing an amazing job of containment. I also have a friend in the same area there for chats.

I do NOT trust that our health system can handle this. I'll be surprised if they can deal with 20% of it.

I can feel tension brewing in my family over difference of opinion over how serious this is. About 80% of them can't see what this has the potential to do.

I'm single. No kids and no mortgage and my gut feeling on how this is going to play out in Irelsnd is not good at all. Like; really not good. Perhaps it's only a matter of time till either Ireland completely shuts up shop and/or the other country does the same and I'm trapped.

Have you considered doing the same? Leaving the country?

Don't be a coward. Doctors, nurses and other frontline folk, many with children and underlying conditions, are gearing up for war, whilst you're gearing up to run away. Nowhere will be safe from CoronaVirus, unless you disappear up a mountain by yourself for a year.

TravelTiger? More like TravelMouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

To a place with no closed borders yet and who have been doing an amazing job of containment

Two diametrically opposed locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭Be right back

gman2k wrote: »
    Two diametrically opposed locations.

Doubt it very much that's possible, travel tiger.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

One way ticket to space?no coronavirus there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Ironicname wrote: »
    Where?

North Korea :D

Advertisement