Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of house rewire

Options
  • 17-03-2020 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭

We are about to get a bit of work done on the house fairly soon (but likely going to be delayed due to the virus).

We got a quote off the builder's electrician of €8k + VAT for a full rewire of our house. A smallish 3 bed semi 80sq meter. Nothing fancy, basic plastic fittings and a couple of spotlights in the kitchen.

I've never got any work like this done before. Does this seem reasonable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

sternn wrote: »
    We are about to get a bit of work done on the house fairly soon (but likely going to be delayed due to the virus).

We got a quote off the builder's electrician of €8k + VAT for a full rewire of our house. A smallish 3 bed semi 80sq meter. Nothing fancy, basic plastic fittings and a couple of spotlights in the kitchen.

We got ours done a couple of years ago. We had a good bit of other work done at the time, so I can’t remember what the wiring cost on its own, it was a nice bit cheaper than that though, but was done by a friend, and it was done in stages when he was quiet work wise, so when it suited him, not us.
    Your quote though doesn’t sound crazy, we had one or two quotes at that level. What does that include? Is chasing and repairing the walls included? Our house is very old, and doesn’t have lots of plugs/switches. We didn’t get many extra put in, go save on mess and cost. We found it very very difficult to find anyone to even quote the job, not to mind do it. It’s a messy job Electrician’s don’t seem to want. They can basically charge what they like it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭sternn

jlm29 wrote: »
    We got ours done a couple of years ago. We had a good bit of other work done at the time, so I can’t remember what the wiring cost on its own, it was a nice bit cheaper than that though, but was done by a friend, and it was done in stages when he was quiet work wise, so when it suited him, not us.
    Your quote though doesn’t sound crazy, we had one or two quotes at that level. What does that include? Is chasing and repairing the walls included? Our house is very old, and doesn’t have lots of plugs/switches. We didn’t get many extra put in, go save on mess and cost. We found it very very difficult to find anyone to even quote the job, not to mind do it. It’s a messy job Electrician’s don’t seem to want. They can basically charge what they like it seems

Half of the downstairs has building work (walls knocked and built up), so I imagine that would help make their job a bit easier. We are also getting new ceilings downstairs so that would also help. Otherwise, chasing + repairing are included. Unfortunately I've no electrician friends that can cut me a deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Half of the downstairs has building work (walls knocked and built up), so I imagine that would help make their job a bit easier. We are also getting new ceilings downstairs so that would also help. Otherwise, chasing + repairing are included. Unfortunately I've no electrician friends that can cut me a deal!

We were very lucky at the time, but tbh, it went for months because of it, so I don’t know was it really worth the saving!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

This is approx what we are paying for a slightly bigger house in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭enricoh

Sounds pricey to me , paid 3k for 70 odd sq. Metre extension 2 years ago. Just went with white sockets n switches, probably 30 led downlights ( not the cheap crap), heat, carbon monoxide alarms.
    At least get a quote from someone else, e1000 of that quote is a cherry on top for the builder imo!

• Advertisement
Advertisement