Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scenic drives in Ireland

• 17-03-2020 9:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭

Hubs and I are taking a drive today. We’re going to stay in the car but I just need to see a beautiful view.

I thought maybe we could use this thread to suggest nice drives in different parts of the country that you’ll get to see a lot without exiting the vehicle.

I’ll start - we’re going to a drive around Dalkey, the Vico Road area. A place where I can understand why the property prices are so high.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

What if the car breaks down?

The infected start running out of houses swarming the car

Hubby desperately trying to turn over the engine as you scream in terror

Their rabid teeth scraping on the glass like fingernails down a blackboard

Wouldn't be very relaxing now would it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,703 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Watch out the army don't weld you into the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Ensure your papers are in order, Army checkpoints every few kilometers by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Glens of Antrim

Sky Road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

The Ring of Kerry is a commonly known one. Less known are some of the roads off the Ring that'll bring you up around Glencar / Carrauntoohil. It's spectacular up there altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You don't need to stay in the car. I went for an 8 km walk yesterday with lovely views in places over Lough Derg, and passed only one other person walking in the 90 min it took. You could drive around the lake, plenty of scenic points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭sidcon

cnocbui wrote: »
    You don't need to stay in the car. I went for an 8 km walk yesterday with lovely views in places over Lough Derg, and passed only one other person walking in the 90 min it took.

True, while donegal might have chance if meeting less people,.
    We done glendalough yesterday, took the longest route (orange) with the kids and while carpark was busy the walking route was not, 4 hours out in the open with the kids, everyone exhausted afterwards, kids asleep by the time we got home, quiet time for some wine for myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,875 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The whole area in an area roughly circled by Clonmel, Mitchelstown, Fermoy, Lismore over towards Mahon Bridge. Especially including the Vee (on the R668), Mahon Bridge to Clonea, the road between Clogheen (off the Vee) and Ballyporeen, then back through the mountains towards Fermoy. The Blackwater valley R666. And all the forest walks and lakes to be found with a little searching - you do have to get out of the car though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

You don't need to stay in the car. I went for an 8 km walk yesterday with lovely views in places over Lough Derg, and passed only one other person walking in the 90 min it took. You could drive around the lake, plenty of scenic points.

I’m in the Dublin area where I think it might be a bit harder to find deserted places and I’m in the immunocompromised group so I’m a bit wary for exiting the car!

The Magic Road, Waterford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

1. Head out of Dublin to the Sally Gap. Into Wicklow. Lough Tay, Roundwood, Laragh, Glendalough, Glenmacnass Waterfall.Hopefully there won't be a peloton of cyclists.

2. Drive into the Cooley Penisula in Louth and onto the Mourne Mountains in County Down.

There's plenty of forest parks and woodland trails in Ireland. If you keep a social distance, it's nice to be out and about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I’m in the Dublin area where I think it might be a bit harder to find deserted places and I’m in the immunocompromised group so I’m a bit wary for exiting the car!

Go to sally gap via bohernabreena and kilmore camp, or enniskerry - crone woods - glencree, much quieter than the main route

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

img_0780.jpg

I know it is a long oul way Obvious, but ye could start early pack a picnic or two and go home late. Banba's Crown at the tippy top of the country (Malin Head), you can drive straight up to it and just step out by the tower for the air, and if you look down to your left there is Ballyhillin Beach which is made up of semi precious stones (SSSShhh don't tell anyone! :) ). It is a small beach, not far to walk onto it, and the sound the sea makes rustling the pebbles is other worldly. If you go to Banba's crown travel via the windy roads and take some of the coastal diversions, really it is all gorgeous.

A diversion on the way back to Glenveagh National Park is worth it. I could not believe how gorgeous it is.
    Maybe it is time to borrow a camper van? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,875 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Surely it would be possible to keep your distance in Phoenix Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Here’s an idea.
    Stay the fcuk in.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Here’s an idea.
    Stay the fcuk in.

Looks like you have never ventured outside an urban jungle.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

looksee wrote: »
    The whole area in an area roughly circled by Clonmel, Mitchelstown, Fermoy, Lismore over towards Mahon Bridge. Especially including the Vee (on the R668), Mahon Bridge to Clonea, the road between Clogheen (off the Vee) and Ballyporeen, then back through the mountains towards Fermoy. The Blackwater valley R666. And all the forest walks and lakes to be found with a little searching - you do have to get out of the car though.

Also the copper coast not far from Clonmel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,449 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You could go visit a magic road if you've never been one one, I know there's one on the back road from tallaght to Johnny foxes, you turn down a steep hill park just at the end of the gate, let the handbreak off and the car will reverse up the hill.

Some more here https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.breakingnews.ie/discover/irelands-magic-roads-what-they-are-and-how-to-find-them-623485.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,037 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The idea of staying in is that you are not just limiting your exposure to and from others, but you are communicating to others that you are taking this seriously.
    If people see others behaving somewhat normally, it will embolden them to do the same.

Try to give it this week before venturing out unless you need to. That's what people are being asked to do after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

SeaFields wrote: »
    The Ring of Kerry is a commonly known one. Less known are some of the roads off the Ring that'll bring you up around Glencar / Carrauntoohil. It's spectacular up there altogether.

Ballaghbeama Pass is one of the least known but most spectacular drives/cycles you can take in this country.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement

Yeah, they thought of that when they mentioned in the first post they would not be exiting the vehicle, you ignoramus..

The ignoramus’ are those fcuking idiots from suburbia coming down in their droves infecting locals. The Italians treated their crisis like a holiday and look where they are now.

Looks like you have never ventured outside an urban jungle.

Looks like you haven’t a notion what you are talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

You can leave the bloody house folks.

Sandymount was full of people on the beach today, just not all rubbing shoulders.

Unless you are up close and personal it's hardly an issue.

This is getting ridiculous

Looks like you haven’t a notion what you are talking about.

Say's the lad who thinks he's a working class hero, and berates people who would like to go for a spin on their own in their own car, somewhere nice and scenic and not leave their car.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

italodisco wrote: »
    You can leave the bloody house folks.

Sandymount was full of people on the beach today, just not all rubbing shoulders.

Unless you are up close and personal it's hardly an issue.

This is getting ridiculous

Chalk it down, it doesn't take a whole lot of research to find out what is safe and what is not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,627 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Ticknock and Glendalough and the general Wicklow Way area were the subject of AA Roadwatch congestion warnings today!!

Looks like the OP wasn't the only one with that idea....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Gynoid wrote: »
    img_0780.jpg

I know it is a long oul way Obvious, but ye could start early pack a picnic or two and go home late. Banba's Crown at the tippy top of the country (Malin Head), you can drive straight up to it and just step out by the tower for the air, and if you look down to your left there is Ballyhillin Beach which is made up of semi precious stones (SSSShhh don't tell anyone! :) ). It is a small beach, not far to walk onto it, and the sound the sea makes rustling the pebbles is other worldly. If you go to Banba's crown travel via the windy roads and take some of the coastal diversions, really it is all gorgeous.

A diversion on the way back to Glenveagh National Park is worth it. I could not believe how gorgeous it is.
    Maybe it is time to borrow a camper van? :)

The other side of Glenveagh, the Glendowan to Doochary road is even more scenic,

Say's the lad who thinks he's a working class hero, and berates people who would like to go for a spin on their own in their own car, somewhere nice and scenic and not leave their car.

Apart from to get fuel of course, and use a rest room and sure, maybe if that fuel station has a seated area, we could have a coffee there. And it would be rude to not have a quick chat with anyone we meet while doing this. Sure what is the harm. And if the neighbors see us going off for a few hours every day, well it's their fault if they do the same thing isn't it.

If that’s all that was happening fair enough. But it’s not.
    If they can’t abide by the advice they are given they should stay at home. If that’s berating then you can call me a berating hero if you like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Nice one for me based in Armagh is down to Newry out to Warrenpoint and onto Rostrevor. From there choose to head on to Newcastle or not. Home via Hilltown and Banbridge.

Armagh to Newry Road is an ugly show though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Probably a bit late but Wicklow Mountains. Just drive, take random roads and adventure. So much vastness and wilderness.

It is spectacular in places.

For somewhere a stones throw away from the chaos of Dublin, you could be a world away.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Road from kilorglin to Cahersiveen beside dingle sound, Co kerry. Class

Apart from to get fuel of course, and use a rest room and sure, maybe if that fuel station has a seated area, we could have a coffee there. And it would be rude to not have a quick chat with anyone we meet while doing this. Sure what is the harm. And if the neighbors see us going off for a few hours every day, well it's their fault if they do the same thing isn't it.

I'm going to hazard a guess you don't drive or chat with random strangers or influence your neighbors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Macdarack wrote: »
    Road from kilorglin to Cahersiveen beside dingle sound, Co kerry. Class

It's called mountain stage. The name relates to the old railway line that's just above the road. Actually if someone wanted a good walk - with good social distance! - you can walk that entire route along the old railway. Again spectacular and deserted.

I live in countryside, genius. I could drive over most of the non urban parts of this country, stop the car, get out and go for a walk, and never get with 5m of another person, by picking my spots, I'd likely not even see any.

I don't share your position that people in cities should stay couped up, solely to send a message to the droves of thickos who are unlikely to even detect the message anyway.

Social distancing is perfectly adequate and a nice scenic drive in the country is a solitary exercise devoid of any infection spreading risk.

• Advertisement

Gynoid wrote: »
    [IMG]I know it is a long oul way Obvious, but ye could start early pack a picnic or two and go home late. Banba's Crown at the tippy top of the country (Malin Head), you can drive straight up to it and just step out by the tower for the air, and if you look down to your left there is Ballyhillin Beach which is made up of semi precious stones (SSSShhh don't tell anyone! :) ). It is a small beach, not far to walk onto it, and the sound the sea makes rustling the pebbles is other worldly. If you go to Banba's crown travel via the windy roads and take some of the coastal diversions, really it is all gorgeous. A diversion on the way back to Glenveagh National Park is worth it. I could not believe how gorgeous it is. Maybe it is time to borrow a camper van? :)[/img]

Gorgeous photo!

Interesting you should ask about campervans. Two spaces over from us in our parking garage is the most fabulous, grotty old Volkswagen camper. Check this baby out:

80-F40586-DFD4-4-D93-8548-41-D578-B5-C6-EE.jpg?dl=1

I live in countryside, genius. I could drive over most of the non urban parts of this country, stop the car, get out and go for a walk, and never get with 5m of another person, by picking my spots, I'd likely not even see any.

I don't share your position that people in cities should stay couped up, solely to send a message to the droves of thickos who are unlikely to even detect the message anyway.

Social distancing is perfectly adequate and a nice scenic drive in the country is a solitary exercise devoid of any infection spreading risk.

I think you've quoted the wrong post there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,524 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Me and gf drove to Killiney beach yesterday and I never saw so many cars parked there. Made me uneasy so we went home. This going for a drive and a walk thing needs to be discouraged, I'm done with it anyway.

Me and gf drove to Killiney beach yesterday and I never saw so many cars parked there. Made me uneasy so we went home. This going for a drive and a walk thing needs to be discouraged, I'm done with it anyway.

I was up on the Vico Road yesterday and couldn’t believe how many people were on the beaches below.

The road from Keel to Keem Bay

• Advertisement

I was up on the Vico Road yesterday and couldn’t believe how many people were on the beaches below.

Same, and nearly every car illegally parked on double yellows. The trails down to the beach are very tight and people would be in close contact. This is why all this needs to be discouraged.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Id stay out of the sally gap , I was up there yesterday and it was like a bankholiday weekend in augest . cars couldn't move up or down

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

We took a spin around the Dublin mountains yesterday. in Glencree there's a German graveyard which is worth stopping at. Just past that as you head to Enniskerry, there are a couple of nice scenic walks.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/glencree-german-war-cemetery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,569 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Rest room? Lol.

I take a sh1te inside the ditch.

Rest room? Lol.

I take a sh1te inside the ditch.

I believe that.

A reminder that Italians initially treated calls to isolate as an opportunity to relax and go out and about and socialise, and are paying the price for that.

Would people not exercise a bit of cop on and stay at home for a period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Alun

A reminder that Italians initially treated calls to isolate as an opportunity to relax and go out and about and socialise, and are paying the price for that.

Would people not exercise a bit of cop on and stay at home for a period.
    It's 100% possible to go out of your house and not come within several 100's of meters if not kilometres of a living soul if you try hard enough, as others have pointed out already.

biko wrote: »
    The road from Keel to Keem Bay

That drive is terrifying! :eek:

Alun wrote: »
    It's 100% possible to go out of your house and not come within several 100's of meters if not kilometres of a living soul if you try hard enough, as others have pointed out already.

Right but the more people going out means the chances of contact with others increases. If everyone was going out there would be more contact, end of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,670 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

mynamejeff wrote: »
    Id stay out of the sally gap , I was up there yesterday and it was like a bankholiday weekend in augest . cars couldn't move up or down

It was a ****ing disaster thanks to all the idiots deciding to park on a road barely wide enough for 1 car, never mind 2.

And then hordes of idiots not realising that if the way ahead is completely jammed, them preventing cars going the other way from passing was only going to make the situation worse.

• Advertisement
Advertisement