Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant left 4 cars after runner

Options
  • 17-03-2020 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

Hi there, just looking for advice, our tenant has done a disappearing act leaving the house in an awful way, I can deal with that with a big skip but the problem is he also left a van and 3 cars for us to deal with.
    What are our options? I assume we can’t just send them to the scrapyard?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Hi there, just looking for advice, our tenant has done a disappearing act leaving the house in an awful way, I can deal with that with a big skip but the problem is he also left a van and 3 cars for us to deal with.
    What are our options? I assume we can’t just send them to the scrapyard?
    Thanks

But the cars on the road and take the numberplates off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

What are our options?

I dont think you are going to get any satisfaction from the tenant. Do the cars start? If so could you either ask some "likely lads" to take them for a drive behind the housing estate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

Turn them into 'company cars'!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Check the house for the logbooks. If you find them, put the cars on DoneDeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭billbond4

If the numberplates fell off the cars on a public space the co co will take them away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

billbond4 wrote: »
    If the numberplates fell off the cars on a public space the co co will take them away.

Yeah and if all the trash in the house was left on the road the council would take that too. But I am sure the OP is asking for legal and responsible options.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,994 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Yeah and if all the trash in the house was left on the road the council would take that too. But I am sure the OP is asking for legal and responsible options.

I know this from the company I worked for, there are near zero legal options to remove abandoned cars on private land. They had nearly 30 abandoned cars there.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

what kind of cars are they, may be able to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

If the cars are on a public road, and are not taxed, they can be legally removed can't they?

From there, if not claimed, they get crushed don't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

solve 2 problems with one move.

All that rubbish and crap they left - instead of getting an expensive skip, just pack as much of it as you can fit into the cars. Then pull the number plates off and remove any tax, insurance disks and any other identifying information and dispose of them responsibly elsewhere.

Then move the cars out onto the road or street and report to the council that they are abandoned.

That is all actually perfectly responsible because the council will obviously be disposing of them at regulated, licenced waste facilities.

It is perfectly legal as the councils are allowed to remove abondoned cars.

And the cars are abandoned. You just have to see to it that they are discreetly moved into the street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Make sure you report it too RTB. Too many rogue tenants and to some extent landlords are not reporting, distorting the figures.

Don't waste your time. RTB aren't going do give 2 shíts.

What do you expect the RTB to do? Maintain a blacklist of tenants based on unverified accounts from disgruntled landlords?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

All that rubbish and crap they left - instead of getting an expensive skip, just pack as much of it as you can fit into the cars. Then pull the number plates off and remove any tax, insurance disks and any other identifying information and dispose of them responsibly elsewhere.

Then move the cars out onto the road or street and report to the council that they are abandoned.

That is all actually perfectly responsible because the council will obviously be disposing of them at regulated, licenced waste facilities.

And the cars are abandoned. You just have to see to it that they are discreetly moved into the street.

That is totally socially irresponsible, rubbish should be disposed of properly, it doesn’t just disappear in the crusher, and vehicle recyclers would refuse to take such vehicles full of rubbish and the cost of hand removal of the rubbish would fall onto the council and ultimately back to us all. No wonder the world is in the state it is with some of the short sighted selfish irresponsible attitudes to the environment, cop on .

How is it irresponsible to the environment? It is not being pushed in a ditch or river. The council will take it away and they will have it disposed of responsibly at a licenced facility. the rubbish would be taken out and also disposed of appropriately

I would trust the council to do it more responsibly than any of these scrap dealers you see advertising in the local rags. With the council looking after it you can be sure that there is some sort of quality behind the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,590 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Why would you be bothering your arse to take the numberplates off?

If the cars were registered to the renters, it is likely enough that they will have other registered cars now. GDPR means you don't have access to that information, but I am sure that Gardai/council/whatever do

Yeah, the summonses might arrive to your house but "return to sender" them.

If a person want to be nasty, if any of the rubbish has envelopes on it, they could put them into a bag, put it out on the street and then report it. And they would "return to sender" the letter again and let the council track them down. I am not suggesting for one minute that you should do this, or that I might do this myself. Just that some might.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

What do you expect the RTB to do? Maintain a blacklist of tenants based on unverified accounts from disgruntled landlords?

No I'd expect them to maintain, and publish, accurate figures though so proper policy decisions can be made.

the_syco wrote: »
    Check the house for the logbooks. If you find them, put the cars on DoneDeal.

The OP having a problem with the tenant doesn't give them the right to arbitrarily steal their property and commit the more serious crime of selling stolen property. You have to do better than just say the tenant "did a runner" before rolling dice to split their property.

If (and I wouldn't, but for argument sake we'll say if) I skip out of a rental agreement still owing money to the landlord, it doesn't give some third party the right to hijack and drive around in my car.

The OP having a problem with the tenant doesn't give them the right to arbitrarily steal their property and commit the more serious crime of selling stolen property. You have to do better than just say the tenant "did a runner" before rolling dice to split their property.
    The scrapyard will accept the cars if the OP has their logbooks. I'm viewing them as rubbish like the rest of the rubbish the tenant left behind.

OP; how many months rent do they owe?

the_syco wrote: »
    The scrapyard will accept the cars if the OP has their logbooks. I'm viewing them as rubbish like the rest of the rubbish the tenant left behind.

Uhm... You can "view" it anyway you like, I suspect the courts might view it differently. Stealing someone's logbook in advance doesn't allow you to steal their car any more than stealing their keys would have.

Replace "the tenant did a runner" with let's say "the tenant died of a heart attack while away on holidays but the grieving family didn't think it was a priority to inform the landlord", and then see how far you get with seizing their property then.

There's a huge gulf here between a civil case against a tenant and a criminal case against a landlord. The OP came here seeking advice, telling him to commit an arrestable offence is not helping him much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Uhm... You can "view" it anyway you like, I suspect the courts might view it differently. Stealing someone's logbook in advance doesn't allow you to steal their car any more than stealing their keys would have.

Replace "the tenant did a runner" with let's say "the tenant died of a heart attack while away on holidays but the grieving family didn't think it was a priority to inform the landlord", and then see how far you get with seizing their property then.

There's a huge gulf here between a civil case against a tenant and a criminal case against a landlord. The OP came here seeking advice, telling him to commit an arrestable offence is not helping him much.

If the cars are end of life, which the OP asking about scrapyards suggests they are, then they're not much different than a bag of rubbish or unwanted secondhand belongings. At most if they have some value they're an unsolicited gift, which you can keep for 6 months and then take possession of.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Honestly if they were of some real value, the tennant would have taken them. I have no idea how to deal with them in both a legal and cost effective manner. The Rules that apply to the Coco's and the Gardai do not apply to the ordinary citizen.

Uhm... You can "view" it anyway you like
    It really depends on the 2nd part of my post. If they're up-to-date with rent, then the OP should leave the cars alone.

But if the tenant did a disappearing act whilst owing two or more months rent, the OP will probably have to treat everything left behind as abandoned rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I don't think the OP's neighbours will appreciate 3 cars and a van dumped on the street for however many months it will take the council to deal with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I don't think the OP's neighbours will appreciate 3 cars and a van dumped on the street for however many months it will take the council to deal with them.

No onus on the council to remove the cars. If they're not deemed a waste they won't be touched by the Environment departments and if they don't pose a risk or hazard to other pedestrians or traffic they could be sitting there for a long time.
    Don Trump was right, leave the plates on them, if your tenants were/are scummers there's a good chance vehicle ownership forms were never transferred correctly and then the onus for removal is the last/most recent owner.

If they are drivable you could leave them somewhere other than your own road. The more they are in the way the quicker the council will take them away.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭garyskeepers

call one of the many advertisers of "we take any car" blah blah,, you might even make a few quid to cover the cost of the skip

• Registered Users Posts: 40,428 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

call one of the many advertisers of "we take any car" blah blah,, you might even make a few quid to cover the cost of the skip

they wont touch them if you dont have the registration cert.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

It helps with numbers and statistics going forward so the usual brigade cannot blame landlords using official statistics.

Its the same for reporting petty crime in the area. The Garda wont do anything, but by reporting it, it goes into a data record which influences Garda resources and allocations going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

No, it most definitely is not responsible and the fact that you think it is is shocking. There are so many things wrong with your suggestion I don't know where to begin.

• Advertisement

What exactly is irresponsible or illegal about it?

The cars nor the rubbish will not end up in a ditch or a river. They will be removed and disposed of and recycled in the appropriate manner by the council.

It is not a crime to put whatever other stuff is around into the boot of a car.
    It is not a crime to move a car out onto the side of the street. As for it being possibly untaxed, that is an issue for the vehicle owner, not the OP.

Advertisement