Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant left 4 cars after runner

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

What exactly is irresponsible or illegal about it?

The cars nor the rubbish will not end up in a ditch or a river. They will be removed and disposed of and recycled in the appropriate manner by the council.

It is not a crime to put whatever other stuff is around into the boot of a car.
    It is not a crime to move a car out onto the side of the street. As for it being possibly untaxed, that is an issue for the vehicle owner, not the OP.

I was mid way through writing a reply to this and deleted it as I know I'm pi**ing against the wind trying to change your viewpoint. I'll simply say that the landlord has a moral obligation to deal with this himself as it is an issue that springs directly from his business. The council (taxpayer) should not be expected to clean up the mess.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

If you are in Dublin or nearby then Dublin Fire Brigade are often looking for cars for their training. Give them a call they may come and take them away for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,428 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Casey78 wrote: »
    If you are in Dublin or nearby then Dublin Fire Brigade are often looking for cars for their training. Give them a call they may come and take them away for you.

the problem with that is you have to own them to give them to DFB and the OP doesn't.

What exactly is irresponsible or illegal about it?

Seriously? You can ask that question without even suggesting the OP make the slightest possible effort to research whether the former tenant was ever the legal owner of those vehicles?

Were they rentals? Were they stolen? Belong to visiting friends who died? OK, they might be abandoned, they might also be a million other things, you don't get to haul someone else's car off to the scrapyard based entirely on you not liking where they parked it, regardless of any outstanding dispute you have with who you think owns the thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I get the impression that they are just auld mouldy balls of scrap rather than actual roadworthy vehicles that are worth anything to anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Noddy33

Had similar enough scenario of recent where I had a tenant who abandoned ship with outstanding rent and bill monies to pay. Despite umpteen attempts to contact via email, text, phone call and Whattsapp to see what what happening with him i eventually found out from his workplace that he had taken another job opportunity elsewhere in another county.

Had to clear out his personal belongings and to my astonishment the tenant left behind about three suitcases of clothing, Tailored Suits, personal medication and a laptop computer among just a few items. The day I was cleaning out the tenants belongings.......out or pure coincidence a Garda happened to be doing 'Door to Door' enquiries in relation to a criminal act that happened in city centre that night and I took opportunity to just ask for advice with regards my predicament of what to do with all the belongings if the owner is not acknowledging my attempts to contact them. The guard said that it would be a civil and not criminal matter he just advised to keep a log of all attempts to contact the impacted tenant across all platforms(ie text, email, whattsapp etc) and send them a message giving a reasonable deadline date and advising that if items not collected then they will be donated to charity or put in refuse. He said once you have a log of all attempts to contact and provided an reasonable time frame for collection then there should be no issue to worry if tenant tried to proceed with a claim or damages proceedings.

I know my instance i was able to just do a quick run to the Local Waste landfill site which didnt have any major cost implications but unfortunately you OP the cost to remove such multiple vehicles could be significant. I am no legal expert so people will surely correct me if my advice to you is not permissible but given my precedence if I were you..........like above I would log and records all attempt to contact impacted tenant across the different communication platforms and provide a reasonable deadline date(3 weeks is what Garda advised me here). If no response then there are numerous car scrappage dealers that are always on the look out for non-runner vehicles that they use to sell for spare parts and offer free collection service and and a cash sum payment. In this instance I would not take any offer of a cash sum payment for gain but would get a reciept logging vehicle registration numbers and collection for free of charge with no payment taken. This is all on the assumption that the cars are currently parked on your own personal property and creating an obstruction and hazard. If cars are on public property.........then i would not go near

• Registered Users Posts: 19,590 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

If they were out on the street with an out-of-date tax disc, or no tax disc, would the guards not just evetually impound them if they were reported?

I would second the advice of Noddy.

Send request for removal and warning re disposal within 30 days and notification of

Send by text but also by email with delivery notification and read receipt, viber and whatsapp. The latter 2 would be most beneficial as the blue and purple ticks show that the message was actually read if the tenant comes back say with the usual LiveLine type bullshít of "awwww but they never warned us, Joe, nobody ever told us"

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

request a lost logbook on all of them, send off registration forms. Then sell them all on DoneDeal for bottom basement cash, say 100 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,428 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

listermint wrote: »
    request a lost logbook on all of them, send off registration forms. Then sell them all on DoneDeal for bottom basement cash, say 100 each.

making false declarations is never a smart idea.

• Advertisement

I still think stuffing them as full as possible with rubbish and pushing them out into the street sans any numberplates or any other identifying information before reporting them as abandoned and a hazard is still the cutest way of solving the problem.
    Council come and take it all away and dispose of it responsibly, you get rid of the cars and all the rubbish you can fit in em. Council won't bat an eyelid at this, they are always removing abandoned and wrecked cars. Everybody goes home happy.

If you had the log books you could fill out the change of ownership section to some made up name a fictitious address that doesn't exist. You'd not be the only one to ever do it like, it is not the end of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭thequarefellow

I still think stuffing them as full as possible with rubbish and pushing them out into the street sans any numberplates or any other identifying information before reporting them as abandoned and a hazard is still the cutest way of solving the problem.
    Council come and take it all away and dispose of it responsibly, you get rid of the cars and all the rubbish you can fit in em. Council won't bat an eyelid at this, they are always removing abandoned and wrecked cars. Everybody goes home happy.

If you had the log books you could fill out the change of ownership section to some made up name a fictitious address that doesn't exist. You'd not be the only one to ever do it like, it is not the end of the world.

Maybe the council are always removing abandoned and wrecked cars because people like you think it is perfectly ok to abandon cars (rubbish) in public places. Your attitude is deplorable.

Notably, you have form:

"I hope property prices will plummet either through lack of buying power from people laid off or through the impending mass die off of elderly house blockers"

Nice

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

making false declarations is never a smart idea.

False? Who said false .

Logbooks are sitting in dealers all over the country that haven't changed hands .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

listermint wrote: »
    False? Who said false .

Logbooks are sitting in dealers all over the country that haven't changed hands .

I'm assuming you need to declare ownership to get a replacement log book ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Anyway you can discover if the cars are still in your ex tenants name ? I'm assuming none are taxed or nct'd or worth anything ... .
    I'd be logging all attempts to contact the individual ,be wary of saying the cars are still on your property..
    But I'd be putting the cars somewhere they'll be collected by the authority's ....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

whats that used car seller guide that you can check to see if there is any money owned on it and if it has been in a crash oreviously? Do you know anyone who works in a dealership - they all
    mostly have accounts with it for trade in’s - can you give someone the reg’s and see if there is money owed, or who owns them and to what address? Someone friendly sitting at a desk may be able to help you off the record. Or maybe someone in the motors section here works in a dealership and could look it up for you. How much rent did they own? Did they leave keys?

I’d also definately lodge a tenant complaint to the PTRB - apart from anything next time they try one on a landlord there will be a record of their track history which will go against them. And it also stops them trying to pull another one over you with deposit/ etc. Do you know rhat they’re not ‘just’ suffering from volcanic ash syndrome - signing on in multiple countries and jot able to get back out/in due to Covid 19!!! Maybe social welfare also should know - particularly if they had been claiming rent allowance or getting dole/ working family or ‘dis-ABILITY’ from your address. You wouldn’t like them to have the benefit of using your address for banks and ID and payments while owing you money. Revenue could also be interested - unregistered dealership/ car trading.

Advertisement