Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid-19 Bringing out the best in people

• 16-03-2020 4:06pm
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,932 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Another suggestion from a poster is to have a thread where we can praise the support services, including individuals, who we feel deserve a special mention for work they have done or indeed are doing in helping combat this virus and it's effects.

This can be special mentions of medical staff, first-aiders, people helping with communications, visiting the elderly to help out, defence forces, members of the fire department, or just ordinary Joe Public's who do something worthy of special mention - anyone you feel deserves a pat on the back, or more, given what they have done in and around the community in the context of the unique and incredibly difficult times we are currently living through.

There is no need to provide names, and indeed people deserving such praise often prefer to keep a low profile, but a mention of their deeds is enough.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,367 ✭✭✭con747

Beasty wrote: »
    Another suggestion from a poster is to have a thread where we can praise the support services, including individuals, who we feel deserve a special mention for work they have done or indeed are doing in helping combat this virus and it's effects.

This can be special mentions of medical staff, first-aiders, people helping with communications, visiting the elderly to help out, defence forces, members of the fire department, or just ordinary Joe Public's who do something worthy of special mention - anyone you feel deserves a pat on the back, or more, given what they have done in and around the community in the context of the unique and incredibly difficult times we are currently living through.

There is no need to provide names, and indeed people deserving such praise often prefer to keep a low profile, but a mention of their deeds is enough.

OH is in the food distribution sector planning logistics to keep the supermarkets stocked up. 15-17 hour days since the 10th march. She's like a zombie but keeps going.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Had an apt in TUH late last week. The general situation was bad enough then but not as bad as it is now.

I have to say, everyone from security to doctors, nurses, clerical- were all fantastic.
    It's a tough job with really long shifts. Delighted to have the chance to thank them here.

On a side note. We would be screwed in this country if it weren't for the Filipino nurses.

Also, a lad local to me is in AGS and he seems to be putting in serious hours too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

con747 wrote: »
    OH is in the food distribution sector planning logistics to keep the supermarkets stocked up. 15-17 hour days since the 10th march. She's like a zombie but keeps going.

Fair play to her.

The people working in supermarkets deserve a special mention. They've had to put up with long hours and a lot of frantic/selfish people in recent days.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Eamonn8448

Dont forget about the farmers lads, veg , milk and meat will still be there even if imports dwindle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I think we could all do with some positivity.
    Post your heart warming stories here.
    The following made me cry a little.

Got a ring on the door last night. Looked out and saw no one. Opened the door to find a bag with 4 bottles and 2 cans of beer on the step.

My delightful publican neighbours were responsible (a small, neighbourly favour was recently done by me). They know I'm currently alone in the house and could do with some diversion. Little things do matter.

So, I had a Kinnegar scraggy Bay and Rust bucket. Both extremely delicious in the circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

May seem like a small thing, but I'm in the army and mostly we go unnoticed (or mocked by a minority of morons) but yesterday driving from The Curragh and around Dublin I was getting more nods and little wave of a drivers hand overtaking me.

Two or three times I was asked light hearted ''has the lock down started ye?'', we'd have a giggle and move on.

Circle K at exit 7 on the Naas road gave me my coffee free of charge, I was insistent on paying but the lad would have none of it.

The sense of us all pulling together is great too, I've noticed the snide remarks to government statements have mostly stopped or where someone has a moan people are quick to tell them where to get off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭tscul32

In the absence of st Patrick's day festivities, local resident group encouraged kids to put pics in their windows and post them to the FB group. Someone sponsored a prize for the best one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,627 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

#RTEVirtualParade on Twitter would lift your heart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,078 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

May seem like a small thing, but I'm in the army.

You’re in the army?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

You’re in the army?

Confused?.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,932 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

Advertisement