Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

COVID-19: Vaccine/antidote and testing procedures Megathread [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Which Category do Adults with Special Needs (living with an elderly Parent) fit ?

Those over 70 and people with special medical needs I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Those over 70 and people with special medical needs I think

OK so they would be in the same Category then. The over 70s Parent and the Special Needs Adult Child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Russman

marno21 wrote: »
    Here we go:

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1336283483799490561

Looking forward to this getting underway. I am in the 2nd from last group so it will be sometime before I see one, but the comfort and security for those in the initial groups once they receive this and the population as a whole starts getting it will be wonderful.

I can see every cnut and his mother trying to get into the 6th category - "Key Workers (to be further refined)"

I wish they'd give an estimate for the time they think it will take each group to be vaccinated though. I know there's still no vaccine approved and supply is hard to predict just now, but I'd love to know how long they think each category might take or how many people might be in each category. 15 categories - does that mean 15 months ? 12 months ? 6 months ?

Still, great to think there's some sort of an end in sight, even if its still some time away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

We should start seen the benefits of this pretty quickly when rolled out.

Hard to believe the end game is here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Im under 65 on immune suppressant medication but I fall into categoty 7.

Number 6will be highly abused

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

We should start seen the benefits of this pretty quickly when rolled out.

Hard to believe the end game is here

Yeah, realistically once the first few bands are done there's little need for restrictions, it'll cover an awful lot of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Around the middle of page 2 is where we'll start seeing the move towards the full end of restrictions. That'll be 3 months or so.

If it seems like a lot of categories to get through before we get to the "end", remember that it's not about categories it's about the number in each. The first 2 pages make up about 50% of the population, the last page is 50%.

The "All adults who don't fit in any other category" is the largest single category.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Russman

Gael23 wrote: »

Absolutely. Unless the further refining of it leads to a proper definition.
    For the sake of fairness you'd hope it needs more than a letter written to yourself saying you're essential, like in the lockdowns !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Second from last myself too. Parents, parents in law and girlfriend are up near the very start.

Normality will resume momentarily, please hold... :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭snotboogie

My friend is in the same position, Im very surprised that group is so far down the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Sorry if it's been asked before but will it be possible to pay for it if you need it sooner than when your category comes up?

I'd be doubtful you'll fall into category 7 to be honest unless you've one of the pre defined underlying conditions which are in the document, then you would.

No it won't because it'll be clearly defined and many would fall into other categories.

Sorry if it's been asked before but will it be possible to pay for it if you need it sooner than when your category comes up?

Nope it won't.

Theres no deals with private companies from the manufacturers. Everything is currently being done through governments for health services.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

seamus wrote: »
    The "All adults who don't fit in any other category" is the largest single category.
    Interesting that there's a caveat in there that if the vaccine is show to reduce/prevent transmission then the 18-35 will get priority within the 18-55 category.
    I wonder how this will fare as it won't take into account a lot of parents with kids and the social angle there.

I would expect that All Categories will be clearly defined. In particular #6

• Advertisement

Seems a little muddled. UK list had a more logical flow.

If they want "key workers" ahead of medical conditions it should be key workers over a certain age.

Also seems they might prioritise 18-34 over 35-54... because they're more social. Hospitalisation rates spike after the 45+ point so that wouldn't make huge sense to me, along with the fact the 35 - 54 group are more likely to have kids of school age.

You'd hope by the point you get to those groups supply won't be an issue and you won't have to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

Hopefully CIE and Bus Eireann will be on board soon to help distribute the vaccine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Pasteur. wrote: »
    Hopefully CIE and Bus Eireann will be on board soon to help distribute the vaccine

They'd be a few weeks late :pac:

Pasteur. wrote: »

Wait for 1 vaccine and then 3 come along at once

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

You're losing more people every week longer, to be fair. Can't really use the 'it wont save lives' line when it will.

There is a reason for the red tape and it is to not endanger lives...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

IMO for key workers it’d be even more beneficial for them if the vaccine was shown to prevent transmission. If it’s preventing severe disease only it would make more sense for those who have medical conditions which are proven to be affected by the virus to be vaccinated first.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

pre defined underlying conditions which are in the document

Has this document been published yet?

I'd be doubtful you'll fall into category 7 to be honest unless you've one of the pre defined underlying conditions which are in the document, then you would.

Not sure what they're at really with putting "key workers" ahead of that group. I'd have thought cancer patients and people on heavy duty immunosuppression would have been higher.

Suppose I'll just have to trust they know better than a random lad on the internet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

brisan wrote: »
    funnydoggy wrote: »

Dream scenario for Bill and Melinda:D

I don't understand this comment?

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Has this document been published yet?

Yup link below
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/39038-provisional-vaccine-allocation-groups/

So vaccine news just keeps coming today.

FDA have just released a briefing document ahead of its meeting on Thursday in relation to Pfizer & BioNTech

In it they state theres no specific concerns that would preclude EUA approval, they're happy with the safety data.

On efficency, after the first dose there is an immune response with around 52% seen after 10 days.

After second dose in those aged 16 to 55 efficency is seen as 95.6% and over 55 94%.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

So vaccine news just keeps coming today.

FDA have just released a briefing document ahead of its meeting on Thursday in relation to Pfizer & BioNTech

In it they state theres no specific concerns that would preclude EUA approval, they're happy with the safety data.

On efficency, after the first dose there is an immune response with around 52% seen after 10 days.

After second dose in those aged 16 to 55 efficency is seen as 95.6% and over 55 94%.

Sounds like they are close to approval no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭BrianD3

marno21 wrote: »
    Here we go:

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1336283483799490561

Looking forward to this getting underway. I am in the 2nd from last group so it will be sometime before I see one, but the comfort and security for those in the initial groups once they receive this and the population as a whole starts getting it will be wonderful.
    Am I missing something or is there not one mention of family carers in there. In particular sole carers such as myself.

Absolute rubbish in that case and shows what the state thinks of us. Family carers are the very people who through unpaid work, kept many elderly and vulnerable people out of nursing homes and hospitals, preventing deaths and reducing pressure on service. Also the people who must have close contact with a vulnerable person yet who can't afford to bring Covid into the residence. Also the people who, if, they themselves are hospitalised with Covid, have little or no backup from anyone to help with caring for their care recipient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Something does not seem right about this list me....someone with cystic fibrosis (for example) that is under 65 will be in the 7th group, even though they are stuck cucooning for months and at a much greater than risk than a healthy 65 year old.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Eye catching comment on Reddit Ireland, telling it like it is

Hmmmm and Hmmzzzz: would love your thoughts
    The EMA is reviewing all the data, now, and approving it for general use in humans. Once it is fully approved, that's it.

The MHRA has chosen to give an Emergency Use Authorisation, which means they have not yet reviewed all the data, nor satisfied themselves as to either the safety or efficacy of the vaccine. It will still have to get authorisation for general use.

I would far rather be in the European Union than the United Kingdom just now.

The EMA is prioritising safety. The MHRA prioritised speed.
    Let's be clear about two things:
    1. In the next few weeks, the vaccine will be assessed as entirely safe for use in the European Union and vaccinations will begin. It uses fundamentally pre-existing knowledge and technology and has passed increasingly rigorous pre-clinical, phase I, phase II, and phase III trials. It has undergone internal analysis and review, and for the regulator to catch something at this stage that Pfizer did not would be virtually unprecedented.
    2. The British did not and do not care if it is safe or not. They wanted their retard Minister to be able to go on television and dribble about how the vaccine developed by joint American/Turko-German efforts somehow proved that the UK was "better than all the other countries". For them, being first mattered more than being safe.
    We prioritise safety. They prioritised PR.

At first glance, that doesn't seem to include all the groups listed on HSE's high risk group

Sconsey wrote: »
    Something does not seem right about this list me....someone with cystic fibrosis (for example) that is under 65 will be in the 7th group, even though they are stuck cucooning for months and at a much greater than risk than a healthy 65 year old.

Yeah it's the least logical aspect of this, "key workers" could be huge numbers too.

Stheno wrote: »
    Sounds like they are close to approval no?

Independent review this Thursday, thats live steamed, data literally will be gone through to a very low level.

After that then FDA expected to give EUA

Hardyn wrote: »

Amazing

Have they all gone through as vigorous trials as Pfizer?

For example; I haven't a notion who CureVac are not sure I'd be in the queue for that one

I remember when the Swine Flu Vaccine was rolled out, that my Husband and I plus our eldest child were vaccinated in one of the first categories because of our infant daughter (less than 6 mths old) was too young to get the vaccine.

I wonder will they do something similar for children with underlying health issues? Vaccinate the household ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

If the gov can't manage to get enough Flu vaccine then how do we expect them to get enough covid vaccine?

If the gov can't manage to get enough Flu vaccine then how do we expect them to get enough covid vaccine?

Cause it's out of their hands! EU does the deal, we sign off on the money and we get a per capita allocation.

That said I think we should aim for bilateral deals once the priority groups are done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Am I missing something or is there not one mention of family carers in there. In particular sole carers such as myself.

Absolute rubbish in that case and shows what the state thinks of us. Family carers are the very people who through unpaid work, kept many elderly and vulnerable people out of nursing homes and hospitals, preventing deaths and reducing pressure on service. Also the people who must have close contact with a vulnerable person yet who can't afford to bring Covid into the residence. Also the people who, if, they themselves are hospitalised with Covid, have little or no backup from anyone to help with caring for their care recipient.

I'd sort of assume you might be in the group of other HCWs in contact with patients. I'm assuming that group is the most logical fit and would also include likes of porters, maintenance staff in hospitals etc

• Advertisement

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Amazing

Have they all gone through as vigorous trials as Pfizer?

For example; I haven't a notion who CureVac are not sure I'd be in the queue for that one

Well Johnson and Johnson have over 60,000 participants in their trial which makes it the largest one so far. It also includes the 12-18 age group.

CureVac are still only in Phase II so they're a ways behind the rest. Be next spring/summer at the earliest before we see anything from them. That said they've had some very impressive results so far so worth keeping an eye on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Also, how are teachers not in the key workers section, or even in the Key workers in essential jobs who cannot avoid a high risk of exposure to COVID-19. That seems stupid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Cause it's out of their hands! EU does the deal, we sign off on the money and we get a per capita allocation.

That said I think we should aim for bilateral deals once the priority groups are done.
    so they haven't bought enough vaccine for everyone yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

I'm in the second group working with direct patient contact, hoping for February maybe.

A little suprised to see teachers so far down the list, can imagine the unions making a fuss over that?

Has anyone got a link to the list?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Has anyone got a link to the list?

Its linked a few posts up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Pfizer/BioNtech vaccine gives a high level of immunity 10 days after the first injection;
    'Noah Weiland and Carl Zimmer at the New York Times bring us this rapid analysis of what is in the FDA’s assessment of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine:

The coronavirus vaccine made by Pfizer and BioNTech provides strong protection against Covid-19 within about 10 days of the first dose, according to documents published by the Food and Drug Administration before a meeting of its vaccine advisory group.' Guardian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

15 groups in the list wonder are we looking at 15 months to get through it or a group weekly/bi-weekly?

No it won't because it'll be clearly defined and many would fall into other categories.

As far as I can see under 65 with pre existing illness is category 7. Do you think I should fall into a higher category?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Eye catching comment on Reddit Ireland, telling it like it is

Hmmmm and Hmmzzzz: would love your thoughts
    The details are not correct. The application to the EU & FDA is also for the equivalent of a conditional emergency authorisation, it's not for general release.

There was a lady interviewed on US TV, I think she was an ex-FDA commissioner, explaining the general difference between the UK & MHRA processes. The MHRA get the data from the companies, along with the company model interpreting the result, and audits the processes used to generate the model. The FDA gets the data, and regenerates the models using its own processes. I'm not qualified to say which is better, but the latter approach sounds much more time-consuming. I don't know how the EMA does it.

Either way it can be seen as a positive as different regulators take different approaches to reviewing the data, and it will be interesting to see if they come to the same result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,296 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This is the list of what's considered pre-existing condition e.g. it is specific enough not just 'asthma':
    • Chronic heart disease, including hypertension with cardiac involvement;
    • chronic respiratory disease, including asthma requiring continuous or repeated use of systemic steroids or with previous exacerbations requiring hospital admission;
    • Type 1 and 2 diabetes;
    • chronic neurological disease;
    • chronic kidney disease;
    • body mass index >40;
    • immunosuppression due to disease or treatment;
    • chronic liver disease.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/39038-provisional-vaccine-allocation-groups/

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement