Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

COVID-19: Vaccine/antidote and testing procedures Megathread [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BeefeaterHat

Goldengirl wrote: »
    I have already pointed out / quoted three of your posts that are just bashing for the sake of it . Where are they backed up ?
    There is no data until we know what the vaccine task force have recommended ,so I merely suggest you wait for that before you give out about it . And that you cutthe Irishresponse the same slack you so generously cut the truly awful UK government.
    No fit just responding to some very unbalanced comments .

I also pointed out what Japan are planning by the summer, which you conveniently ignored. Also its not bashing for the sake of it unless you consider any and all criticism 'bashing.' In which case I'd advise you maybe avoid internet discussions if you react so strongly to differing opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Henryq.

jackboy wrote: »
    It’s a bit worrying alright.

However, look at Germany. They had a detailed plan in place to start rolling out the vaccine this week. Now no vaccine ready and their Covid management strategy has failed.

Lol you're kidding right?

It wasn't their fault the vaccine didn't arrive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭jackboy

Henryq. wrote: »
    Lol you're kidding right?

It wasn't their fault the vaccine didn't arrive

Never said it was. My point is they are exceptional planners and organisers by European standards and they are still in the sh1t.

What worries me is the particular storage methods for the moderna vaccine. The low temperatures just leave it open for error.

Moderna updated their storage requirements, they've confirmed it's stable at fridge temps for up to 30 days after thawing.

Has Michael Martin or Leo VarDkar agreed to take the vaccine yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

You’re clutching at straws now trying to make a point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,213 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I also pointed out what Japan are planning by the summer, which you conveniently ignored. Also its not bashing for the sake of it unless you consider any and all criticism 'bashing.' In which case I'd advise you maybe avoid internet discussions if you react so strongly to differing opinions.

Of course Japan are planning so that must mean Ireland aren't ? Is that what you are implying ?
    Every country in the world are planning , but just because ours are cautious and careful in what they are saying does not mean that the plans for rollout aren't just as developed .
    I would trust ours more than the UK ,and think that they are correct not to be sxxxing on before the taskforce have discussed the rollout and the report has been published .
    No problem with different opinions , but people constantly ranting with no evidence to back their rants ..well , your posts really come across as just anti and nothing else really .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yep they have and are likely to do so in public. I'd assume ministers will too.

Of course Japan are planning so that must mean Ireland aren't ? Is that what you are implying ?
    Every country in the world are planning , but just because ours are cautious and careful in what they are saying does not mean that the plans for rollout aren't just as developed .
    I would trust ours more than the UK ,and think that they are correct not to be sxxxing on before the taskforce have discussed the rollout and the report has been published .
    No problem with different opinions , but people constantly ranting with no evidence to back their rants ..well , your posts really come across as just anti and nothing else really .

Look I'm not wasting any more time trying to break down my points so you can understand them. If you have a problem with my posts or their content, flag them for the mods rather than following me around complaining because you don't agree with me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭Cork2021

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Fantastic news. Hopefully will go the distance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭Russman

Cork2021 wrote: »

Are they challenge trials or just normal ones ? The article mentions a quarantine facility.

Russman wrote: »
    Are they challenge trials or just normal ones ? The article mentions a quarantine facility.

Normal trials, participants may have to quarantine as they will using live attenuated virus so there is a tiny chance the vaccine may make you infectious.

Look I'm not wasting any more time trying to break down my points so you can understand them. If you have a problem with my posts or their content, flag them for the mods rather than following me around complaining because you don't agree with me

Hardly following you around . You post on the thread you can expect a response . You were replying to me also so how would you.
    I am not " complaining ." Or is it your opinion that anyone disagreeing with you is complaining?

I disagree with the way you were repeatedly saying that the response was inadequate when it hadn't been published yet .
    AND as I said and you ignored, that just because other countries like the UK were better at their PR , it doesn't mean that they are likely to be any better at dealing with this than they have shown themselves, heretofore. Or that our rollout will be as disastrous as you keep saying.

If you have something constructive to say, let's hear it , for a change .
    I am tired of you playing the man ,so to speak, and not the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Normal trials, participants may have to quarantine as they will using live attenuated virus so there is a tiny chance the vaccine may make you infectious.

If so.....it might not be an effective treatment for people in Nursing Homes or residential care setting or Hospital Staff

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

If so.....it might not be an effective treatment for people in Nursing Homes or residential care setting

No, but I'm guessing the hope with this would be it might be one to use on young people and possibly eventually achieve eradication of the virus. These vaccine types tend to give long term protection for other viruses.

Given it's only just starting out I don't think it will play any part in ending the pandemic but might be a useful tool long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

If so.....it might not be an effective treatment for people in Nursing Homes or residential care setting or Hospital Staff

Live attenuated vaccine have historically been among the most effective for full long term protection. Even for the flu the nasal spray live versions can get over 80% efficacy while the inactivated ones are lucky to get 50% on matched strains.

Live virus vaccines are usually for children and healthy adults to stop them being carriers. The polio and flu vaccines can be contagious.

Btw. Viral vectors and mRNA are trying to get the same effect but without the replicating bit as they also work from within the cell.

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Live attenuated vaccine have historically been among the most effective for full long term protection. Even for the flu the nasal spray live versions can get over 80% efficacy while the inactivated ones are lucky to get 50% on matched strains.

Live virus vaccines are usually for children and healthy adults to stop them being carriers. The polio and flu vaccines can be contagious.

Btw. Viral vectors and mRNA are trying to get the same effect but without the replicating bit as they also work from within the cell.

Yes. The hVivo nasal vaccine requesting to be trialled in UK is being discussed on the main thread .
    Would not be for anyone high risk or older but would be ideal for healthy younger people and children if it works and gets approval .

Hardly following you around . You post on the thread you can expect a response . You were replying to me also so how would you.
    I am not " complaining ." Or is it your opinion that anyone disagreeing with you is complaining?

I disagree with the way you were repeatedly saying that the response was inadequate when it hadn't been published yet .
    AND as I said and you ignored, that just because other countries like the UK were better at their PR , it doesn't mean that they are likely to be any better at dealing with this than they have shown themselves, heretofore. Or that our rollout will be as disastrous as you keep saying.

If you have something constructive to say, let's hear it , for a change .
    I am tired of you playing the man ,so to speak, and not the ball.

You threw a fit and accused me of ranting. I asked you to back it up and all you did was essentially say you didn't like what I was saying. The HSE is a mess. I can refer to debacles, scandals and errors aplenty to back up my argument. I don't believe for a second that they'll suddenly get their act together for covid or the vaccine so I'm allowed to state my opinion. You might get suckered hook line and sinker by the feel good ads on the telly but i don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

I think this has relevance to vaccines in regards to how they might limit spread.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2774102

The surprising finding for me there was the asymptomatic household attack rate - 0.7%
    While the symptomatic household attack rate was found to be 18%
    That's a 20x difference in viral spread. Even if you take the worst case CI values it still is multiples less spread from an asymptomatic person.

Even if there is some vaccine candidate out there that does nothing else but reduce symptoms then it will help reducing spread.

• Advertisement

You threw a fit and accused me of ranting. I asked you to back it up and all you did was essentially say you didn't like what I was saying. The HSE is a mess. I can refer to debacles, scandals and errors aplenty to back up my argument. I don't believe for a second that they'll suddenly get their act together for covid or the vaccine so I'm allowed to state my opinion. You might get suckered hook line and sinker by the feel good ads on the telly but i don't.

Where did I throw a fit ?;))
    Looks like you are ranting again ....

I know all about the HSE, just don't see why you are having a go about the vaccine rollout that hasn't even been approved by the EMA yet!
    You should not let yourself get so angry about things you cannot control , lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Vaccines won't end the pandemic. But will end the restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Micky 32

irishgeo wrote: »

According to that one with the glasses social distancing, masks etc are here to stay, that’s the impression she gives.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Approved User Assesment

irishgeo wrote: »
    For some.

Unless it vanishes, the 40% who choose to opt-out of vaccines will be restricted from many jobs, travel, services or locations. Perhaps other factors such as insurance policies, fiscal offerings, loans and so on. Not forgetting a possible future UBI type policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

For some.

Unless it vanishes, the 40% who choose to opt-out of vaccines will be restricted from many jobs, travel, services or locations. Perhaps other factors such as insurance policies, fiscal offerings, loans and so on. Not forgetting a possible future UBI type policy.

40% you get a source for that number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

For some.

If they choose to opt out for anything other than health reasons then good enough for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Micky 32 wrote: »
    According to that one with the glasses social distancing, masks etc are here to stay, that’s the impression she gives.

If social distancing is here to stay indefinitely, how is the next generation of the human race to be procreated?

Just wondering.:confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Where did I throw a fit ?;))
    Looks like you are ranting again ....

I know all about the HSE, just don't see why you are having a go about the vaccine rollout that hasn't even been approved by the EMA yet!
    You should not let yourself get so angry about things you cannot control , lol.

Stop the bickering the pair of ye, don't interact with one another again

Roger_007 wrote: »
    If social distancing is here to stay indefinitely, how is the next generation of the human race to be procreated?

Just wondering.:confused:

I’m wondering the exact same. She wasn’t very clear but she stated that the vaccine is only a tool and the measures will have to remain in place to tackle the pandemic that the vaccine won’t end.

• Advertisement

I’m wondering the exact same. She wasn’t very clear but she stated the vaccine only a tool and the measure will have to remain to tackle the pandemic that the vaccine won’t end.

It's becoming tiresome at this stage. Even if the vaccine reduces severe disease and nothing else, there's no reason for restrictions to be kept on. Literally none.

El Sueño wrote: »
    If they choose to opt out for anything other than health reasons then good enough for them

The 40% is an estimate for many polls in many countries, some of that includes those who will choose to wait 6mths, 1yr or 2 before opting in.

In terms of health reasons, sure all obese people should receive a harsh penalty for their gross fatness. Being obese doubles you chance of death from the C19, no to mention the relentless strain upon all other health factors such as cancers, diabities, cardio-heart health, food resource waste and so on.

Ban obese people : half the covid death rate.
    Who's onboard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭VG31

It's becoming tiresome at this stage. Even if the vaccine reduces severe disease and nothing else, there's no reason for restrictions to be kept on. Literally none.

Exactly. Keeping masks and social distancing would be ridiculous if you can only get mild symptoms. It would be like saying we should keep restrictions to stop people catching a cold.

I agree. I don’t think i’d be too cautious keeping my distance from someone else if knew they were also vaccinated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Dickie10

why on earth do they come out with things like that? like i have this knawing feeling that the medical people have this fantasy world they would like society to be like. What would a medics social life be like n this fantasy world? what would people do for fun?

I agree. I don’t think i’d be too cautious keeping my distance from someone else if knew they were also vaccinated.

How would you know: that someone in a line behind you waiting for a double latte had taken it, would they wear a badge to say they did/didn't?

• Advertisement

How would you know: that someone in a line behind you waiting for a double latte had taken it, would they wear a badge to say they did/didn't?

At this stage i couldn’t care less to be honest. I’m on the list last for getting the vaccine. So by the time i get it most people that can get it should have had it. So it’s their problem if they won’t take it. As for the people who can’t take it maybe they should consider their position about standing in a line behind me or anyone else before getting a double latte.

Dickie10 wrote: »
    why on earth do they come out with things like that? like i have this knawing feeling that the medical people have this fantasy world they would like society to be like. What would a medics social life be like n this fantasy world? what would people do for fun?

These very same people will then criticize the public for breaking the restrictions, not realizing the doomsaying they come out with is just pissing people off. If the government think I'm wearing a mask or social distancing or #holdingfirm once I'm vaccinated they'd better think again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭Dickie10

the next 10 days is crucial........

These very same people will then criticize the public for breaking the restrictions, not realizing the doomsaying they come out with is just pissing people off. If the government think I'm wearing a mask or social distancing or #holdingfirm once I'm vaccinated they'd better think again.

Then when you see the twitter link that someone posted earlier about the excitement the delivery of the first vaccines, even the comment “ end of the pandemic”. Everyone in the video happy and in good spirits. What a difference in attitude this country has :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

VG31 wrote: »
    Exactly. Keeping masks and social distancing would be ridiculous if you can only get mild symptoms. It would be like saying we should keep restrictions to stop people catching a cold.

I wouldn't say its ridiculous. I would say that social distancing, masks, more hand washing has helped reduce a vast number of illnesses, not just Covid.

Pneumonia, tonsillitis, measles, mumps, as well as the common cold. I would say even gastrointestinal illnesses have reduced as well. I havent heard of any winter vomiting/ diarrhoeal illness going around yet.

We've kind of become conditioned now to being vigilant about hygiene practices. Why go back to unhygienic actions like sharing cigarettes, glasses, touching numerous door handles, trolleys, public bathrooms etc.

I hate wearing a mask all day but I'm in favour of practices that have many benefits.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't say its ridiculous. I would say that social distancing, masks, more hand washing has helped reduce a vast number of illnesses, not just Covid.

Pneumonia, tonsillitis, measles, mumps, as well as the common cold. I would say even gastrointestinal illnesses have reduced as well. I havent heard of any winter vomiting/ diarrhoeal illness going around yet.

We've kind of become conditioned now to being vigilant about hygiene practices. Why go back to unhygienic actions like sharing cigarettes, glasses, touching numerous door handles, trolleys, public bathrooms etc.

I hate wearing a mask all day but I'm in favour of practices that have many benefits.

So you’re proposing social distancing and restrictions indefinitely?

I really don't think it's worth keeping restrictions just to suppress those diseases. We were doing ok before when these were all around.

I really don't think it's worth keeping restrictions just to suppress those diseases. We were doing ok before when these were all around.

Ahh, don't think that is what she meant though ..just a side effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

Is there any realistic concern over the virus circulating widely and a certain amount of the population being vaccinated leading to selective pressure against the parts of the virus the vaccine targets?
    I have a feeling USA is going to end up like that for a while, high number of cases and high number of vaccinations meaning lots of vaccinated people being exposed to the virus, just not sure if there is a danger in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

So you’re proposing social distancing and restrictions indefinitely?

No not restrictions on retail, travel or social situations, but I think sand sanitizer stations should still be everywhere and some vulnerable people may still choose to wear masks in crowded places, on planes etc and people will become more aware of their hygiene practices as a result of all this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭VG31

No not restrictions on retail, travel or social situations, but I think sand sanitizer stations should still be everywhere and some vulnerable people may still choose to wear masks in crowded places, on planes etc and people will become more aware of their hygiene practices as a result of all this.

No one's going to stop people from wearing masks if they want. But I don't think they should be normalised as a basic hygiene measure long-term.

Better hand washing, cough etiquette and not going into work if you're sick are different matters. These are simple positives that should remain. Although I think hand sanitiser stations remaining everywhere is a bit OTT. People can carry it with them if they feel they need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

For some.

It not going to vanish.
    On the plan issued by the EU commission wich was agreed by all members regarding vaccination and moving forward in regards to the covid pedemic the minimum uptake of vaccinations needed for the ending of restrictions is 40 percent per head of population of each state.
    Outside the EU who knows what will happen, but most of what you listed won't happen in the eu bloc.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

From the above posts I gather the next 2 weeks are crucial

• Registered Users Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭Cork2021

As we speak the whole plan has started leaking, just got push notification from RTE, more on morning ireland

Looks like we're slow playing the vaccine rollout

They're talking early summer before everyone is vaccinated

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement