Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine/antidote and testing procedures Megathread [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭FutureTeashock

El Sueño wrote: »
    This disease has pretty much shut down the entire world, if there was ever a time for mandatory vaccines it's now.

Forget about the "it's against my human rights" bull****, this is unprecedented and drastic measures are required.

You just try and vaccinate me against my will! Covid-19 will be the least of your worries!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

El Sueño wrote: »
    Forget about the "it's against my human rights" bull****, this is unprecedented and drastic measures are required.
    A simpler solution is to deny opt outs access to social venues, planes, buses etc. If they want to opt out of protecting society well and good, but they shouldn't then get the benefits of society or risk infecting vulnerable people. There are countries who will deny travellers access without evidence of specific vaccinations, it's just new to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

You just try and vaccinate me against my will! Covid-19 will be the least of your worries!:mad:

I hope anyone who won’t take it will have strict restrictions put on them. Hopefully they’ll be banned from travelling etc.

hmmm wrote: »
    A simpler solution is to deny opt outs access to social venues, planes, buses etc. If they want to opt out of protecting society well and good, but they shouldn't then get the benefits of society or risk infecting vulnerable people. There are countries who will deny travellers access without evidence of specific vaccinations, it's just new to us.

Totally agree!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I hope anyone who won’t take it will have strict restrictions put on them. Hopefully they’ll be banned from travelling etc.

What difference does it make - people who want a vaccine won’t be able to get it off them. The non vaccinated people can only give it to other non vaccinated people, their choice!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

There are human rights issues around compelling people to take a vaccine by passing laws. I don't think it'll be necessary. I think enough people will be willing to take it voluntarily, in this country anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if many countries only allow access to those who are vaccinated.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    What difference does it make - people who want a vaccine won’t be able to get it off them. The non vaccinated people can only give it to other non vaccinated people, their choice!

They want to punish people, it's that simple.

Bit of an anti vaxxer there? It does make a difference. For it to be fully effective you need a good percentage of the population to take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

That's a sh1tty and dangerous attitude and reflects the problem with anti-vaxxers not getting their children vaccinated for measles. Chances are if their little Johnny gets measles he will be fine, but some other poor kid (who could not be vaccinated for health reasons) could die as a result.

There will always be a percentage of the population that cannot get vaccinated for health reasons, these are usually the same people that a corresponding infection would be deadly for.

By not getting vaccinated you are increasing the risk of the vulnerable person getting infected and dying. I would say there is a good chance, for example, that the vaccines will not work for immuno-comprimised people. What about them? should they have to suffer the rest of their lives because a bunch of luddites are not willing to get vaccinated?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Although I will have it myself when available, I wouldn't be in favour of mandatory vaccination, it's not as if the world hasn't had experience of vaccinations that have gone wrong and it's not as if the developers can cater for every eventuality in their tests, so really a full account of known pros and cons of having the vaccine should be provided as usual to the prospective recipient and an informed decision made.
    Imagine the catastrophe if the cure happened to be worse than the disease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

When employers and schools insist on proof of vaccination before you or your child enter the premises it will be as good as mandatory

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Although I will have it myself when available, I wouldn't be in favour of mandatory vaccination, it's not as if the world hasn't had experience of vaccinations that have gone wrong and it's not as if the developers can cater for every eventuality in their tests, so really a full account of known pros and cons of having the vaccine should be provided as usual to the prospective recipient and an informed decision made.
    anyone with couple brains cells would google how long do drug trials take, if same steps are taken vaccine will be ready in 2030, by then prob no one will care much about this virus. some talk as it will be rolled out tomorrow, crap which wont happen, proving drug or vaccine works any company could claim that today, but theres a reason trials are in place and nothing comes out next day as most imagine.

So the hype that someone is near finding one that works is a load of fluff many carry on, which has no bearing for any close future.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,548 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Gael23 wrote: »
    When employers and schools insist on proof of vaccination before you or your child enter the premises it will be as good as mandatory

Thankfully. Let antivaxxers teach their own spawn. Besides schools would probably teach the kid science anyway which would be unacceptable to the anti-vax crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Marhay70 wrote: »
    In all likelihood it'll be distributed to those who would be high risk first. I agree on mandatory, it'll be off the back of strong health messages. I don't think they'll find it too tough a sell with this anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Oh, that's a court case in the making and lots of compo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

is_that_so wrote: »
    In all likelihood it'll be distributed to those who would be high risk first. I agree on mandatory, it'll be off the back of strong health messages. I don't think they'll find it too tough a sell with this anyway.

No, I don't think it'll be hard to sell while there isn't a successful treatment for it but things are moving apace on that front too and while there is the prospect of effective therapy then forcing everybody to have a vaccine would be unnecessary and possibly unethical and would certainly lead to legal and constitutional challenges which could possibly hold up the implementation of a voluntary vaccination campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

What a messed up society that would be for a virus that isn't very harmful for the working and school going population. Good thing you're just a keyboard warrior and not a dictator of our country!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

I doubt they will. I had to provide proof of my toddlers vaccines to the Montessori and it noted non vaccinated children Is at their own risk- whatever way it was worded it didn’t suggest they’d be refused a place because they’re not vaccinated.

In the early days of this I was a bit concerned about the rush and whether I’d be willing to take a fast tracked vaccine myself. I’m certainly no anti vaxxer, I even paid for my kids chicken pox ones which aren’t on the list, but what I read about the oxford vaccine safety and the form being previously used for other trials seems very reassuring. I can’t imagine we’ll have a problem with too many people refusing it here. The big problem will be if it’s an annual or biannual shot people will get lazy

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Ce he sin

What a messed up society that would be for a virus that isn't very harmful for the working and school going population. Good thing you're just a keyboard warrior and not a dictator of our country!

Oh, if only we could convince the virus to infect only the working and schoolgoing population!

The problem is if no one took the vaccine we’ll be stuck with slogans like “ Do your part stay apart” and stuck with restrictions and stupid green lists

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Bit of an anti vaxxer there? It does make a difference. For it to be fully effective you need a good percentage of the population to take it.

No - I would get the vaccine and would get it for my kids.

I take the point about impacting kids who can’t get it for medical reasons, that’s very true and I hadn’t thought of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Well, this thread escaled rather quickly.

Anyway, Moderna has started jabbing people in their phase III trial.

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/phase-3-clinical-trial-investigational-vaccine-covid-19-begins

May it all go smoothly for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Hmmzis wrote: »

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/phase-3-clinical-trial-investigational-vaccine-covid-19-begins

Excellent news.. a few threads have gone a bit mad, well more mad then usual...

Hmmzis wrote: »

They're saying October for first results and production is running concurrently, that's kinda mad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

https://www.statnews.com/2020/07/27/covid-19-vaccines-may-cause-mild-side-effects-experts-say-stressing-need-for-education-not-alarm/

"But experts say it makes sense to prepare people now for the possibility that Covid-19 vaccines may be reactogenic.

“I think one of the things we’re going to have to realize is that all of these vaccines are going to be reactogenic…. They’re all going to be associated with reactions,” said Kathryn Edwards, scientific director of the Vanderbilt Vaccine Research Program in Nashville, Tenn."

hmmm wrote: »
    https://www.statnews.com/2020/07/27/covid-19-vaccines-may-cause-mild-side-effects-experts-say-stressing-need-for-education-not-alarm/

"But experts say it makes sense to prepare people now for the possibility that Covid-19 vaccines may be reactogenic.

“I think one of the things we’re going to have to realize is that all of these vaccines are going to be reactogenic…. They’re all going to be associated with reactions,” said Kathryn Edwards, scientific director of the Vanderbilt Vaccine Research Program in Nashville, Tenn."

Yet another reason not to take it.

So what do you think could be worse? A hot flush with a slight headache or a more dangerous illness that you can spread? Are you looking for reasons not to take it?

God forbid you might need to take paracetemol afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

God forbid you might need to take paracetemol afterwards.

Paracetamol seems to be the worst you'll have to take if you're under 65 and you contract covid for the vast majority of those who get it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement