Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine/antidote and testing procedures Megathread [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

paw patrol wrote: »
    personal autonomy is overridden cos the stranger may get sick . If legally enforced that is tyranny. I'd consider the point is this was ebola-esque but it is not

Wrong. Personal autonomy/freedoms stop when they impinge on other individuals personal autonomy/freedoms. You do not live in a vacuum, public health and safety measuers are absolutelly enforcable by law.

P.S. Apologies for weering off topic. Will try and make up for it now.

hmmm wrote: »
    Another interesting vaccine candidate, but at a much earlier stage than the ones we've been discussing so far. What's interesting about this one is that it is showing good results, and uses the same processes as the Flu vaccine for manufacture - so could have large-scale manufacturing relatively quickly.

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.07.26.221861v1.full.pdf

"The NDV vector vaccine against SARS-CoV-2 described in this study has advantages similar to those of
    48 other viral vector vaccines. But the NDV vector can be amplified in embryonated chicken eggs, which
    49 allows for high yields and low costs per dose. Also, the NDV vector is not a human pathogen, therefore
    50 the delivery of the foreign antigen would not be compromised by any pre-existing immunity in humans.
    51 Finally, NDV has a very good safety record in humans, as it has been used in many oncolytic virus trials.
    52 This study provides an important option for a cost-effective SARS-CoV-2 vaccine."

This is a very intersting candidate, the data looks very much on par with ChAdOx1, maybe the prime is a bit better even. The really great thing about the production platform is that everyone and their uncle knows how to do it. Growing viruses in eggs has been done for ages, at scale, with good reliability.

There is one other tidbit of information in the data that I found curious. If you look at the nAB titers ir figure 3, they are a bit higher for the stabilised S protein, not a lot, but certainly noticeable. This to me looks like a further confirmation to the paper (from last week I think) that found that the 614G version of the spike is more sensitive to neutralisation. Since that mutation made the S protein more stable, it looks to have become an easier target for antibodies. And here in the vaccine data, similar observations could be made, the more stable the S, the easier it is to target by nABs.

Moderna's NHP challenge data:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2024671?query=featured_home

Apart from the lacking CD8 T cell response it's looking excellent. No viral replication in the nose and near nothing in the lungs at day 2. Lung images look clean as well. Possibly the closest to a sterilising immunity from the current front runners. Now we just need to see Pfizer/BioNTech's NHP challenge data for a full set.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Brazilian government orders 100 million doses of the Oxford vaccine.
    https://conexaopolitica.com.br/ultimas/governo-bolsonaro-encomenda-100-milhoes-de-unidades-da-vacina-de-oxford-1o-lote-chega-em-dezembro/

15 million in December & January, and remainder to start arriving in March. Local production.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but this is potentially good news I think. Brazil is one of the first locations that the Phase 3 trials are taking place in, and while I know these trials don't report data in advance let's hope that the Brazilian government has had some insider information.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,619 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

polesheep wrote: »
    They're not normally done simultaneously because each procedure informs the next. But look, this is a good thread and I wouldn't like to derail it. Here's hoping we get an effective and safe vaccine as soon as possible.

Each procedure informing the next is used to decrease the costs of the process, especially if there is a lack of urgency, what they are doing now consumes more resources (as they basically have to verify every possible outcome from previous stage at the same time).

• Advertisement

astrofool wrote: »
    Each procedure informing the next is used to decrease the costs of the process, especially if there is a lack of urgency, what they are doing now consumes more resources (as they basically have to verify every possible outcome from previous stage at the same time).
    That's just it. Multiple phases are being run in parallel, and governments/CEPI are subsidising the costs (spending billions).

I wish I could find it again, but one of the news sites had an online tool which showed the typical phases of vaccine development, and also showed how combining phases could drastically reduce the total time required without changing the length of any phase or compromising on safety. Starting work on manufacturing and scaling up before the trials were complete shaved years alone off the typical time required.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Some good news on the Moderna vaccine. Although I expect the will prioritise the US for supply

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Professor Harvey Risch of Yale university is arguing that hydroxychloroquine should be given to patients at early diagnostic detection stage without the implementation of long term double blind studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DesignerDublin

Fever is a common symptom but it's not always there and seems to happen later when people are already sick.
    Still, keeping track of temperature to try and pick up fever as early as possible is better than nothing I guess?

Are many workplaces doing this? I'm not back in the office yet but I don't think this is planned for us.

Fever is a common symptom but it's not always there and seems to happen later when people are already sick.
    Still, keeping track of temperature to try and pick up fever as early as possible is better than nothing I guess?

Are many workplaces doing this? I'm not back in the office yet but I don't think this is planned for us.

We check ours every morning in here.

• Advertisement

Head of Chinese CDC reveals he has been injected with a vaccine.

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/head-china-cdc-injected-experimental-vaccine-72024365

Believed to the SinoPharm vaccine.

Summary of a paper which was mentioned earlier in the thread. All summaries are not equal, particularly when it's from the foremost public health agency in the US :)

https://directorsblog.nih.gov/2020/07/28/immune-t-cells-may-offer-lasting-protection-against-covid-19/
    Next, they looked at blood samples from 23 people who’d survived SARS. Their studies showed that those individuals still had lasting memory T cells today, 17 years after the outbreak. Those memory T cells, acquired in response to SARS-CoV-1, also recognized parts of SARS-CoV-2.

Finally, Bertoletti’s team looked for such T cells in blood samples from 37 healthy individuals with no history of either COVID-19 or SARS. To their surprise, more than half had T cells that recognize one or more of the SARS-CoV-2 proteins under study here. It’s still not clear if this acquired immunity stems from previous infection with coronaviruses that cause the common cold or perhaps from exposure to other as-yet unknown coronaviruses.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Hopefully more than one vaccine is approved and this will reduce the time needed to roll it out. Might stop these anti vaccine idiots spouting rubbish that's it's for control of your mind. If there are multiple ones available from different companies with different methods of fighting it should stop the nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

irishgeo wrote: »
    Hopefully more than one vaccine is approved and this will reduce the time needed to roll it out. Might stop these anti vaccine idiots spouting rubbish that's it's for control of your mind. If there are multiple ones available from different companies with different methods of fighting it should stop the nonsense.

Some hope. These are the morons who think a vitamin-K injection is a vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Most anti vaxxers in my experience are happy enough to let other people take the vaccines and build immunity before claiming that they survived perfectly well without it.
    Apologies,I swore I wouldn't get drawn on the rights or wrongs of vaccines but your predecessor in the posting order drove me to it, no doubt he/she believes their own username.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The Russian vaccine produced by the Gamaleya Institute is being approved within the next 2 weeks. Somehow I don't think there'll be a large take-up.
    https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/28/europe/russia-coronavirus-vaccine-approval-intl/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

The Russian vaccine produced by the Gamaleya Institute is being approved within the next 2 weeks. Somehow I don't think there'll be a large take-up.
    https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/28/europe/russia-coronavirus-vaccine-approval-intl/index.html
    But they may get there first, which is all that matters to Putin.

Russia has a lot of expertise in this area.

Phase 1 and 2 trials can happen quickly. I'd say they are simply including high-risk populations (e.g. ICU staff) in what is a phase 3 trial, and calling it emergency approval. If I was a doctor on the frontlines, I'd probably be happy to take a jab at that point. If there's long-term implications of a vaccine, which is unlikely but possible, it's probably less of a risk than the immediate risk of getting the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

The only hope I'm holding onto is that the internet has just amplified the noise from anti-vaxxers and that their numbers are smaller than appear. I know it's not a direct comparison, but even with the tracing app, I saw a lot of concern within the bubble of social media that no one would download it, yet it got to 1.4 million downloads very quickly. Hoping the vast majority will accept and take the vaccine. My daughter will probably not be able to get it so I am biased in hoping many will.

As said above though, plenty will 'get away' with not getting it and rely on others for immunity, just like plenty have been living their lives like nothing is happening and they'll get away with that too "sure it was nothing to worry about, I was fine and I never followed guidelines.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭FutureTeashock

The only hope I'm holding onto is that the internet has just amplified the noise from anti-vaxxers and that their numbers are smaller than appear. I know it's not a direct comparison, but even with the tracing app, I saw a lot of concern within the bubble of social media that no one would download it, yet it got to 1.4 million downloads very quickly. Hoping the vast majority will accept and take the vaccine. My daughter will probably not be able to get it so I am biased in hoping many will.

As said above though, plenty will 'get away' with not getting it and rely on others for immunity, just like plenty have been living their lives like nothing is happening and they'll get away with that too "sure it was nothing to worry about, I was fine and I never followed guidelines.

From what I've read, approximately 66% will take the rushed vaccine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

That's just it. Multiple phases are being run in parallel, and governments/CEPI are subsidising the costs (spending billions).

I wish I could find it again, but one of the news sites had an online tool which showed the typical phases of vaccine development, and also showed how combining phases could drastically reduce the total time required without changing the length of any phase or compromising on safety. Starting work on manufacturing and scaling up before the trials were complete shaved years alone off the typical time required.

Was this it ?

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-tracking-every-global-effort-to-find-a-covid-19-vaccine-12030675

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Now XPrize are getting in on the act for improved rapid testing.
    XPrize has launched a contest to develop new and improved testing methods for COVID-19.

https://newatlas.com/medical/covid-19-test-xprize-competition/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Russia has a lot of expertise in this area.

Phase 1 and 2 trials can happen quickly. I'd say they are simply including high-risk populations (e.g. ICU staff) in what is a phase 3 trial, and calling it emergency approval. If I was a doctor on the frontlines, I'd probably be happy to take a jab at that point. If there's long-term implications of a vaccine, which is unlikely but possible, it's probably less of a risk than the immediate risk of getting the virus.

Well it'll surely have a less harmful outcome than what the Russians are usually injecting into people. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

From what I've read, approximately 66% will take the rushed vaccine.

I’d take the Oxford one but not this one in Russia

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭FutureTeashock

Gael23 wrote: »
    I’d take the Oxford one but not this one in Russia

I wouldn't take any of them, not if you put a gun to my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,548 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yeah we've established what you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Just in case we'd forgotten that you told us yesterday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

El Sueño wrote: »
    Just in case we'd forgotten that you told us yesterday?

He seems to be under the impression that the whole country's going to be begging him to take the shot. Him and the anti vax crowd can do as they please. I'll do what's right for me, my family and the public.

• Advertisement

Unusually bullish statements from the Pfizer CEO. They've now caught Moderna by entering phase 3 testing on the same day, and I expect with their greater experience in running trials like these they will be out of testing much faster.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement