Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine/antidote and testing procedures Megathread [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,260 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

eigrod wrote: »
    Are there any figures being published on how many daily Covid vaccinations have been administered so far in NI ?

I don't believe so. Pretty sure their initial delivery was something like 12k doses or there abouts but not fully sure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Micky 32 wrote: »
    There was no vaccine last summer. Big difference. Are you looking for excuses for not going back to normal?

No, only that I can't be so optimistic as most of others are :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

cj maxx wrote: »
    I have no symptoms, can I pay for a test with my health insurance?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

You can pay 99 yourself though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

The hospitals were empty already last summer, and we resumed a partial business as usual, with people moving a bit more, and we have seen what happened a few months later.
    Having the hospitals empty isn't a green light to a normal life.

But the high risk folks will be vaccinated this time around, the daily infection numbers are liable to be higher next year but the hospitalisations should be way down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

schmoo2k wrote: »
    But the high risk folks will be vaccinated this time around, the daily infection numbers are liable to be higher next year but the hospitalisations should be way down.

They need to stop using daily case numbers as any metric, pointless at this stage.

Metrics should all be about hospitalisation rate

• Registered Users Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

schmoo2k wrote: »

but they wont?
    what about immune compromised people?
    kids (who arent allowed get the vaccine) who have low immune systems?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭snotboogie

tom1ie wrote: »
    but they wont?
    what about immune compromised people?
    kids (who arent allowed get the vaccine) who have low immune systems?

Small demographic, what percentage of the current hospitalizations are immune compromised children? Or immune comprised under 55 in general?

snotboogie wrote: »
    Small demographic, what percentage of the current hospitalizations are immune compromised children? Or immune comprised under 55 in general?

point being 25% of the population are kids under 16.
    they wont be vaccinated.
    add in people who wont take it, immune compromised, pregnant women breastfeeding women, now you are up around 35-40% of the population.
    we need approx 70% of the popul;ation to be infected/vaccinated to reach herd immunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The hospitals were empty already last summer, and we resumed a partial business as usual, with people moving a bit more, and we have seen what happened a few months later.

What? Of course it is. I swear some people seem to want this to drag on longer than it should

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

AdamD wrote: »
    What? Of course it is. I swear some people seem to want this to drag on longer than it should

The lockdown brigade are already filtering over here from the main thread looking for excuses to justify post vaccine restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

There was no vaccine in the summer so that comparison makes zero sense

even after everyone that is allowed take the vaccine, takes the vaccine, that still leaves at least 40% maybe more who wont have had the vaccine which means the virus wont be killed off.
    if restrictions arent in place the virus still spreads among that 40% no?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

At the beginning of this there was no routine care being delivered in hospitals, only emergencies and Covid patients

even after everyone that is allowed take the vaccine, takes the vaccine, that still leaves at least 40% maybe more who wont have had the vaccine which means the virus wont be killed off.

Well the people who can’t have it will have to be careful for a while. For the people who have it won’t be restricted. In my case i’ll certainly be back travelling again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Are you absolutely sure you have no symptoms ?
    Like 100% certain ?

Well the people who can’t have it will have to be careful for a while. For the people who have it won’t be restricted. In my case i’ll certainly be back travelling again.

so if you live in a house with someone who cant have the vaccine but you take the vaccine, and you know that covid is still spreading in the wild, you wont take precautions or adhear to restrictions?

so if you live in a house with someone who cant have the vaccine but you take the vaccine, and you know that covid is still spreading in the wild, you wont take precautions or adhear to restrictions?

Firstly i don’t live in a house with someone that can’t have it, or do i know anyone that can’t have it. So no i won’t be adhering to any restrictions. Like i said i’ll be travelling again once inoculated. As the Tanaiste pointed out the pandemic will be over in 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

No where in the eu commission public health in relation to the vaccination process and program does it say or intend to kill off virus.
    There aiming for a 40 percent uptake and this appears to be sufficient in the process of eased restrictions.
    Covid is here and here to stay whether we like it or not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

ZX7R wrote: »
    Covid is here and here to stay whether we like it or not

Like all viruses and coronaviruses we have seen in the past centuries. They are still around us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Happy Friday everyone:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.12.09.20245175v1.full.pdf+html

The RBD mutants can go $&*% themselves (Fig 1d).

The T cell data is worth having a look at, it's among the most comprehensive studies I've seen so far on vaccine induced T cells.

To my eye the 30ug looks almost unnecessary at this point in time, the 10ug and 20ug doses don't look any different at the last two follow up points to the 30ug dose.

Edit: btw. this is the Pfizer/BNT vaccine.

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Happy Friday everyone:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.12.09.20245175v1.full.pdf+html

The RBD mutants can go $&*% themselves (Fig 1d).

The T cell data is worth having a look at, it's among the most comprehensive studies I've seen so far on vaccine induced T cells.

To my eye the 30ug looks almost unnecessary at this point in time, the 10ug and 20ug doses don't look any different at the last two follow up points to the 30ug dose.

Edit: btw. this is the Pfizer/BNT vaccine.

Had a quick look through the New England journal yesterday, will take a look at this later tonight, but just on the NEJ it was very impressive.

Its an exceptional set of data that stands up to scrutiny. A really superb piece of science

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

My 85 year old Uncle got the Pfizer jab in the UK today, and my aunt did too. No reactions in the short term, so hopefully they'll stay well.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Has Oxford/AZ been authorised anywhere?

It feels like they are in no mans land at the moment. Talk of combining it with the Russian one but that would mean going back to the start of trials surely.

It feels like they are in no mans land at the moment. Talk of combining it with the Russian one but that would mean going back to the start of trials surely.

Nope not yet. They haven't submitted final phase 3 data. MHRA have started getting data recently. EMA have a rolling review. Everything recently was preliminary data so they still had a way to go there yet.

That would be another arm of the trials, separate from what they would submit

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Having them empty of COVID patients is, for the hospital system. That's the first step in the process. As others have said, and depending where you are, we should see effects well before the end of Spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There's already a UK proposal to do that with the Pfizer one.

Firstly i don’t live in a house with someone that can’t have it, or do i know anyone that can’t have it. So no i won’t be adhering to any restrictions. Like i said i’ll be travelling again once inoculated. As the Tanaiste pointed out the pandemic will be over in 2021.

So screw everyone else that can’t take the vaccine basically including people that could take will take the vaccine but live in fear of passing it on to a family member that is immuno Compromised? Is that it yeah?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

So screw everyone else that can’t take the vaccine basically including people that could take will take the vaccine but live in fear of passing it on to a family member that is immuno Compromised? Is that it yeah?

What’s your alternative? Another year like 2020? No thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement