Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine/antidote and testing procedures Megathread [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BeefeaterHat

Sky King wrote: »
    "Vaccines will not bring an end to the pandemic" according to an RTE broadcast this evening.

https://mobile.twitter.com/rtenews/status/1338546966125547527

Here was me thinking that having the vast majority of the population immune to covid would end the pandemic. Ffs.

There preparing us for another 6 months of excuses, finger pointing and arse covering while the HSE put on a modern day three stooges routine with rolling out the vaccine. Someone suggested early, very correctly that there should be press conferences dedicated to the vaccine rollout. That ain't happening because they'd expose how hopeless they truly are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭snotboogie

"Vaccines will not bring an end to the pandemic" according to an RTE broadcast this evening.

Here was me thinking that having the vast majority of the population immune to covid would end the pandemic. Ffs.

In fairness that's not Rte's fault, they are reporting what was said. She clearly says that the vaccine will not end social distancing, madness... I don't know if its covid institutionalisation in the public service here or I've gotten everything about this vaccine wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

If a vaccine doesn't bring an end to this, then quite frankly, wtf will then?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

snotboogie wrote: »
    In fairness that's not Rte's fault, they are reporting what was said. She clearly says that the vaccine will not end social distancing, madness... I don't know if its covid institutionalisation in the public service here or I've gotten everything about this vaccine wrong
    It sounds more like another let's not drop our guard speech. They will not keep people on board if a good portion of the populace have taken new vaccines and are still expected to do what we've been doing. There's unlikely to be much more than 6 months compliance with these guidelines and we continue to be subjected to Levels of living with the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Well the UK reckon that measures will be done away with there by the spring so maybe its time Glynn and co. pulled the finger out and hold up their end of the bargain.

You do realise it's not their fault ( if any exists) that the vaccine is not approved yet ?

• Advertisement

There preparing us for another 6 months of excuses, finger pointing and arse covering while the HSE put on a modern day three stooges routine with rolling out the vaccine. Someone suggested early, very correctly that there should be press conferences dedicated to the vaccine rollout. That ain't happening because they'd expose how hopeless they truly are.

How about waiting to see if that happens before you start giving out ?

Why would wasting time at dedicated press conferences improve the rollout of the vaccine , Ffs?

Well the UK reckon that measures will be done away with there by the spring so maybe its time Glynn and co. pulled the finger out and hold up their end of the bargain.
    I'd be wary of the UK thoughts on any of this as they've been wrong so many times this year!

Goldengirl wrote: »
    You do realise it's not their fault ( if any exists) that the vaccine is not approved yet ?

I do realize that thanks. What i mean is them dragging out the distribution of a vaccine when the time comes. Japan plan on vaccinating everyone by the summer and the UK are ending restrictions by spring. Here, Martin is already giving us the 'we hope to...' routine. It's not good enough.

is_that_so wrote: »
    I'd be wary of the UK thoughts on any of this as they've been wrong so many times this year!

What about Japan? It can't be a case of everyone else getting it wrong and ireland being right.

Why would wasting time at dedicated press conferences improve the rollout of the vaccine , Ffs?

It would provide the public with a tangible timeline and a framework for how it's going to work. How is that a waste of time? Ffs

• Advertisement

It's just a commentary on what was said and it was pretty underwhelming stuff. They will lose a lot of people if that is the continued message through 2021, never mind the aim of the vaccine strategy in the first place. As has been hinted by the Government good communication is vital in this next phase. On that basis they are off to a bad start.

It's just a commentary on what was said and it was pretty underwhelming stuff. They will lose a lot of people if that is the continued message through 2021, never mind the aim of the vaccine strategy in the first place. As has been hinted by the Government good communication is vital in this next phase. On that basis they are off to a bad start.

That's exactly my point. The tone regarding the vaccine compared to other countries is dreadful. They seem almost afraid to acknowledge it's existence. But I guess some people feel we should just choke down any crap the government and HSE dish up.

What about Japan? It can't be a case of everyone else getting it wrong and ireland being right.
    Eh, how did Japan get into this? The UK have got strategies wrong, failed miserably on contact tracing and I've lost track of how many "game changers" they've had. In short they've spoofed a lot and Spring really means early Autumn!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

That's exactly my point. The tone regarding the vaccine compared to other countries is dreadful. They seem almost afraid to acknowledge it's existence. But I guess some people feel we should just choke down any crap the government and HSE dish up.

There is a bit of that (not wanting to acknowledge it exists) for some reason alright

Eh, how did Japan get into this? The UK have got strategies wrong, failed miserably on contact tracing and I've lost track of how many "game changers" they've had. In short they've spoofed a lot and Spring really means early Autumn!

Japan have said they plan on vaccinating everyone by the summer. A country of 120 million people. Fair enough the uk have had their mishaps and disasters but so have we and at least the government there are making amends with the vaccine rollout.

Absolutely not, but the continued bashing is getting just a bit tiresome.
    From tomorrow we will all know what , where AND when, and ranting about public health and how terrible the HSE surely can wait until there actually is something to give out about .

Edit . I note that the UK covid management gets given the benefit of the doubt by you, despite the fact that they have been one of the worst countries through this, but always with the bashing of the Irish response .

Japan have said they plan on vaccinating everyone by the summer. A country of 120 million people. Fair enough the uk have had their mishaps and disasters but so have we and at least the government there are making amends with the vaccine rollout.
    I'd believe Japan but not the UK until they actually do it! Bear in mind only one vaccine is in play and they desperately need the Oxford one, to get anywhere near their planned numbers.

Absolutely not, but the continued bashing is getting just a bit tiresome.
    From tomorrow we will all know what , where AND when, and ranting about public health and how terrible the HSE surely can wait until there actually is something to give out about .

It's not ranting or bashing it's valid criticism of an important issue. If you cant see why it's important that we roll out a vaccine as quickly as possible for economic, health and social reasons then I give up

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

It's not ranting or bashing it's valid criticism of an important issue. If you cant see why it's important that we roll out a vaccine as quickly as possible for economic, health and social reasons then I give up

I never said any of that .
    Of course you would twist and deflect.
    You just continue ranting ....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Why do people think the HSE will mess up the roll out of the vaccine?

It’s not as if we are rolling out 100,000s of vaccine doses each year and have been doing it for decades.

What I’ve learned during this pandemic is that there are a large portion of thick people in this country.

It will be this huge group of people who have difficulty following the most basic simplest instructions around their first and second appointments.

The amount of doses that will be wasted due to incompetence within the public will be amazing

I never said any of that .
    Of course you would twist and deflect.
    You just continue ranting ....

Point out where I'm ranting please? Everything I have said I've backed up. Is it a matter of you simply throwing a fit because you don't like what's being said?

It’s not as if we are rolling out 100,000s of vaccine doses each year and have been doing it for decades.

What I’ve learned during this pandemic is that there are a large portion of thick people in this country.

It will be this huge group of people who have difficulty following the most basic simplest instructions around their first and second appointments.

What worries me is the particular storage methods for the moderna vaccine. The low temperatures just leave it open for error.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Henryq.

That was me

We should be talking vaccine rollout now

At the moment the government are throwing out soundbytes about the vaccine

Indeed they took care of over 1m flu' shots this year. It's all the other issues that exist in the HSE that are conflated for this. We will see tomorrow or the next day anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

Henryq. wrote: »
    That was me

It’s a bit worrying alright.

However, look at Germany. They had a detailed plan in place to start rolling out the vaccine this week. Now no vaccine ready and their Covid management strategy has failed.

That was me

We can't roll out what is not approved. The plan will be published tomorrow or the next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

What worries me is the particular storage methods for the moderna vaccine. The low temperatures just leave it open for error.

Yes. The thick sh1ts not turning up for appointment because they are delayed in the hairdressers or “forget”

That’s what will mess up the lifespan of doses.

That was me

Exactly it's pure fluff. If I answered questions the way Micheal Martin does at work I'd be kicked out the door

• Advertisement

Point out where I'm ranting please? Everything I have said I've backed up. Is it a matter of you simply throwing a fit because you don't like what's being said?

I have already pointed out / quoted three of your posts that are just bashing for the sake of it . Where are they backed up ?
    There is no data until we know what the vaccine task force have recommended ,so I merely suggest you wait for that before you give out about it . And that you cut the Irish response the same slack you so generously cut the truly awful UK government.
    No fit just responding to some very unbalanced comments .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement