Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine/antidote and testing procedures Megathread [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BeefeaterHat

Goldengirl wrote: »
    I have already pointed out / quoted three of your posts that are just bashing for the sake of it . Where are they backed up ?
    There is no data until we know what the vaccine task force have recommended ,so I merely suggest you wait for that before you give out about it . And that you cutthe Irishresponse the same slack you so generously cut the truly awful UK government.
    No fit just responding to some very unbalanced comments .

I also pointed out what Japan are planning by the summer, which you conveniently ignored. Also its not bashing for the sake of it unless you consider any and all criticism 'bashing.' In which case I'd advise you maybe avoid internet discussions if you react so strongly to differing opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Henryq.

jackboy wrote: »
    It’s a bit worrying alright.

However, look at Germany. They had a detailed plan in place to start rolling out the vaccine this week. Now no vaccine ready and their Covid management strategy has failed.

Lol you're kidding right?

It wasn't their fault the vaccine didn't arrive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

Henryq. wrote: »
    Lol you're kidding right?

It wasn't their fault the vaccine didn't arrive

Never said it was. My point is they are exceptional planners and organisers by European standards and they are still in the sh1t.

What worries me is the particular storage methods for the moderna vaccine. The low temperatures just leave it open for error.

Moderna updated their storage requirements, they've confirmed it's stable at fridge temps for up to 30 days after thawing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Henryq.

Has Michael Martin or Leo VarDkar agreed to take the vaccine yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

You’re clutching at straws now trying to make a point

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I also pointed out what Japan are planning by the summer, which you conveniently ignored. Also its not bashing for the sake of it unless you consider any and all criticism 'bashing.' In which case I'd advise you maybe avoid internet discussions if you react so strongly to differing opinions.

Of course Japan are planning so that must mean Ireland aren't ? Is that what you are implying ?
    Every country in the world are planning , but just because ours are cautious and careful in what they are saying does not mean that the plans for rollout aren't just as developed .
    I would trust ours more than the UK ,and think that they are correct not to be sxxxing on before the taskforce have discussed the rollout and the report has been published .
    No problem with different opinions , but people constantly ranting with no evidence to back their rants ..well , your posts really come across as just anti and nothing else really .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yep they have and are likely to do so in public. I'd assume ministers will too.

Of course Japan are planning so that must mean Ireland aren't ? Is that what you are implying ?
    Every country in the world are planning , but just because ours are cautious and careful in what they are saying does not mean that the plans for rollout aren't just as developed .
    I would trust ours more than the UK ,and think that they are correct not to be sxxxing on before the taskforce have discussed the rollout and the report has been published .
    No problem with different opinions , but people constantly ranting with no evidence to back their rants ..well , your posts really come across as just anti and nothing else really .

Look I'm not wasting any more time trying to break down my points so you can understand them. If you have a problem with my posts or their content, flag them for the mods rather than following me around complaining because you don't agree with me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Cork2021

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,357 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Fantastic news. Hopefully will go the distance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

Cork2021 wrote: »

Are they challenge trials or just normal ones ? The article mentions a quarantine facility.

Russman wrote: »
    Are they challenge trials or just normal ones ? The article mentions a quarantine facility.

Normal trials, participants may have to quarantine as they will using live attenuated virus so there is a tiny chance the vaccine may make you infectious.

Look I'm not wasting any more time trying to break down my points so you can understand them. If you have a problem with my posts or their content, flag them for the mods rather than following me around complaining because you don't agree with me

Hardly following you around . You post on the thread you can expect a response . You were replying to me also so how would you.
    I am not " complaining ." Or is it your opinion that anyone disagreeing with you is complaining?

I disagree with the way you were repeatedly saying that the response was inadequate when it hadn't been published yet .
    AND as I said and you ignored, that just because other countries like the UK were better at their PR , it doesn't mean that they are likely to be any better at dealing with this than they have shown themselves, heretofore. Or that our rollout will be as disastrous as you keep saying.

If you have something constructive to say, let's hear it , for a change .
    I am tired of you playing the man ,so to speak, and not the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Normal trials, participants may have to quarantine as they will using live attenuated virus so there is a tiny chance the vaccine may make you infectious.

If so.....it might not be an effective treatment for people in Nursing Homes or residential care setting or Hospital Staff

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

If so.....it might not be an effective treatment for people in Nursing Homes or residential care setting

No, but I'm guessing the hope with this would be it might be one to use on young people and possibly eventually achieve eradication of the virus. These vaccine types tend to give long term protection for other viruses.

Given it's only just starting out I don't think it will play any part in ending the pandemic but might be a useful tool long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

If so.....it might not be an effective treatment for people in Nursing Homes or residential care setting or Hospital Staff

Live attenuated vaccine have historically been among the most effective for full long term protection. Even for the flu the nasal spray live versions can get over 80% efficacy while the inactivated ones are lucky to get 50% on matched strains.

Live virus vaccines are usually for children and healthy adults to stop them being carriers. The polio and flu vaccines can be contagious.

Btw. Viral vectors and mRNA are trying to get the same effect but without the replicating bit as they also work from within the cell.

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Live attenuated vaccine have historically been among the most effective for full long term protection. Even for the flu the nasal spray live versions can get over 80% efficacy while the inactivated ones are lucky to get 50% on matched strains.

Live virus vaccines are usually for children and healthy adults to stop them being carriers. The polio and flu vaccines can be contagious.

Btw. Viral vectors and mRNA are trying to get the same effect but without the replicating bit as they also work from within the cell.

Yes. The hVivo nasal vaccine requesting to be trialled in UK is being discussed on the main thread .
    Would not be for anyone high risk or older but would be ideal for healthy younger people and children if it works and gets approval .

Hardly following you around . You post on the thread you can expect a response . You were replying to me also so how would you.
    I am not " complaining ." Or is it your opinion that anyone disagreeing with you is complaining?

I disagree with the way you were repeatedly saying that the response was inadequate when it hadn't been published yet .
    AND as I said and you ignored, that just because other countries like the UK were better at their PR , it doesn't mean that they are likely to be any better at dealing with this than they have shown themselves, heretofore. Or that our rollout will be as disastrous as you keep saying.

If you have something constructive to say, let's hear it , for a change .
    I am tired of you playing the man ,so to speak, and not the ball.

You threw a fit and accused me of ranting. I asked you to back it up and all you did was essentially say you didn't like what I was saying. The HSE is a mess. I can refer to debacles, scandals and errors aplenty to back up my argument. I don't believe for a second that they'll suddenly get their act together for covid or the vaccine so I'm allowed to state my opinion. You might get suckered hook line and sinker by the feel good ads on the telly but i don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

I think this has relevance to vaccines in regards to how they might limit spread.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2774102

The surprising finding for me there was the asymptomatic household attack rate - 0.7%
    While the symptomatic household attack rate was found to be 18%
    That's a 20x difference in viral spread. Even if you take the worst case CI values it still is multiples less spread from an asymptomatic person.

Even if there is some vaccine candidate out there that does nothing else but reduce symptoms then it will help reducing spread.

• Advertisement

You threw a fit and accused me of ranting. I asked you to back it up and all you did was essentially say you didn't like what I was saying. The HSE is a mess. I can refer to debacles, scandals and errors aplenty to back up my argument. I don't believe for a second that they'll suddenly get their act together for covid or the vaccine so I'm allowed to state my opinion. You might get suckered hook line and sinker by the feel good ads on the telly but i don't.

Where did I throw a fit ?;))
    Looks like you are ranting again ....

I know all about the HSE, just don't see why you are having a go about the vaccine rollout that hasn't even been approved by the EMA yet!
    You should not let yourself get so angry about things you cannot control , lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Vaccines won't end the pandemic. But will end the restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

irishgeo wrote: »

According to that one with the glasses social distancing, masks etc are here to stay, that’s the impression she gives.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Approved User Assesment

irishgeo wrote: »
    For some.

Unless it vanishes, the 40% who choose to opt-out of vaccines will be restricted from many jobs, travel, services or locations. Perhaps other factors such as insurance policies, fiscal offerings, loans and so on. Not forgetting a possible future UBI type policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭irishgeo

For some.

Unless it vanishes, the 40% who choose to opt-out of vaccines will be restricted from many jobs, travel, services or locations. Perhaps other factors such as insurance policies, fiscal offerings, loans and so on. Not forgetting a possible future UBI type policy.

40% you get a source for that number.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

For some.

If they choose to opt out for anything other than health reasons then good enough for them

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Micky 32 wrote: »
    According to that one with the glasses social distancing, masks etc are here to stay, that’s the impression she gives.

If social distancing is here to stay indefinitely, how is the next generation of the human race to be procreated?

Just wondering.:confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Where did I throw a fit ?;))
    Looks like you are ranting again ....

I know all about the HSE, just don't see why you are having a go about the vaccine rollout that hasn't even been approved by the EMA yet!
    You should not let yourself get so angry about things you cannot control , lol.

Stop the bickering the pair of ye, don't interact with one another again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Roger_007 wrote: »
    If social distancing is here to stay indefinitely, how is the next generation of the human race to be procreated?

Just wondering.:confused:

I’m wondering the exact same. She wasn’t very clear but she stated that the vaccine is only a tool and the measures will have to remain in place to tackle the pandemic that the vaccine won’t end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I’m wondering the exact same. She wasn’t very clear but she stated the vaccine only a tool and the measure will have to remain to tackle the pandemic that the vaccine won’t end.

It's becoming tiresome at this stage. Even if the vaccine reduces severe disease and nothing else, there's no reason for restrictions to be kept on. Literally none.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement