Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine/antidote and testing procedures Megathread [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Approved User Assesment

El Sueño wrote: »
    If they choose to opt out for anything other than health reasons then good enough for them

The 40% is an estimate for many polls in many countries, some of that includes those who will choose to wait 6mths, 1yr or 2 before opting in.

In terms of health reasons, sure all obese people should receive a harsh penalty for their gross fatness. Being obese doubles you chance of death from the C19, no to mention the relentless strain upon all other health factors such as cancers, diabities, cardio-heart health, food resource waste and so on.

Ban obese people : half the covid death rate.
    Who's onboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

It's becoming tiresome at this stage. Even if the vaccine reduces severe disease and nothing else, there's no reason for restrictions to be kept on. Literally none.

Exactly. Keeping masks and social distancing would be ridiculous if you can only get mild symptoms. It would be like saying we should keep restrictions to stop people catching a cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

It's becoming tiresome at this stage. Even if the vaccine reduces severe disease and nothing else, there's no reason for restrictions to be kept on. Literally none.

I agree. I don’t think i’d be too cautious keeping my distance from someone else if knew they were also vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

why on earth do they come out with things like that? like i have this knawing feeling that the medical people have this fantasy world they would like society to be like. What would a medics social life be like n this fantasy world? what would people do for fun?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Approved User Assesment

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I agree. I don’t think i’d be too cautious keeping my distance from someone else if knew they were also vaccinated.

How would you know: that someone in a line behind you waiting for a double latte had taken it, would they wear a badge to say they did/didn't?

• Advertisement

How would you know: that someone in a line behind you waiting for a double latte had taken it, would they wear a badge to say they did/didn't?

At this stage i couldn’t care less to be honest. I’m on the list last for getting the vaccine. So by the time i get it most people that can get it should have had it. So it’s their problem if they won’t take it. As for the people who can’t take it maybe they should consider their position about standing in a line behind me or anyone else before getting a double latte.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BeefeaterHat

Dickie10 wrote: »
    why on earth do they come out with things like that? like i have this knawing feeling that the medical people have this fantasy world they would like society to be like. What would a medics social life be like n this fantasy world? what would people do for fun?

These very same people will then criticize the public for breaking the restrictions, not realizing the doomsaying they come out with is just pissing people off. If the government think I'm wearing a mask or social distancing or #holdingfirm once I'm vaccinated they'd better think again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

the next 10 days is crucial........

These very same people will then criticize the public for breaking the restrictions, not realizing the doomsaying they come out with is just pissing people off. If the government think I'm wearing a mask or social distancing or #holdingfirm once I'm vaccinated they'd better think again.

Then when you see the twitter link that someone posted earlier about the excitement the delivery of the first vaccines, even the comment “ end of the pandemic”. Everyone in the video happy and in good spirits. What a difference in attitude this country has :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

VG31 wrote: »
    Exactly. Keeping masks and social distancing would be ridiculous if you can only get mild symptoms. It would be like saying we should keep restrictions to stop people catching a cold.

I wouldn't say its ridiculous. I would say that social distancing, masks, more hand washing has helped reduce a vast number of illnesses, not just Covid.

Pneumonia, tonsillitis, measles, mumps, as well as the common cold. I would say even gastrointestinal illnesses have reduced as well. I havent heard of any winter vomiting/ diarrhoeal illness going around yet.

We've kind of become conditioned now to being vigilant about hygiene practices. Why go back to unhygienic actions like sharing cigarettes, glasses, touching numerous door handles, trolleys, public bathrooms etc.

I hate wearing a mask all day but I'm in favour of practices that have many benefits.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't say its ridiculous. I would say that social distancing, masks, more hand washing has helped reduce a vast number of illnesses, not just Covid.

Pneumonia, tonsillitis, measles, mumps, as well as the common cold. I would say even gastrointestinal illnesses have reduced as well. I havent heard of any winter vomiting/ diarrhoeal illness going around yet.

We've kind of become conditioned now to being vigilant about hygiene practices. Why go back to unhygienic actions like sharing cigarettes, glasses, touching numerous door handles, trolleys, public bathrooms etc.

I hate wearing a mask all day but I'm in favour of practices that have many benefits.

So you’re proposing social distancing and restrictions indefinitely?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I really don't think it's worth keeping restrictions just to suppress those diseases. We were doing ok before when these were all around.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I really don't think it's worth keeping restrictions just to suppress those diseases. We were doing ok before when these were all around.

Ahh, don't think that is what she meant though ..just a side effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

Is there any realistic concern over the virus circulating widely and a certain amount of the population being vaccinated leading to selective pressure against the parts of the virus the vaccine targets?
    I have a feeling USA is going to end up like that for a while, high number of cases and high number of vaccinations meaning lots of vaccinated people being exposed to the virus, just not sure if there is a danger in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Micky 32 wrote: »
    So you’re proposing social distancing and restrictions indefinitely?

No not restrictions on retail, travel or social situations, but I think sand sanitizer stations should still be everywhere and some vulnerable people may still choose to wear masks in crowded places, on planes etc and people will become more aware of their hygiene practices as a result of all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

No not restrictions on retail, travel or social situations, but I think sand sanitizer stations should still be everywhere and some vulnerable people may still choose to wear masks in crowded places, on planes etc and people will become more aware of their hygiene practices as a result of all this.

No one's going to stop people from wearing masks if they want. But I don't think they should be normalised as a basic hygiene measure long-term.

Better hand washing, cough etiquette and not going into work if you're sick are different matters. These are simple positives that should remain. Although I think hand sanitiser stations remaining everywhere is a bit OTT. People can carry it with them if they feel they need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

For some.

Unless it vanishes, the 40% who choose to opt-out of vaccines will be restricted from many jobs, travel, services or locations. Perhaps other factors such as insurance policies, fiscal offerings, loans and so on. Not forgetting a possible future UBI type policy.

It not going to vanish.
    On the plan issued by the EU commission wich was agreed by all members regarding vaccination and moving forward in regards to the covid pedemic the minimum uptake of vaccinations needed for the ending of restrictions is 40 percent per head of population of each state.
    Outside the EU who knows what will happen, but most of what you listed won't happen in the eu bloc.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

From the above posts I gather the next 2 weeks are crucial

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Cork2021

As we speak the whole plan has started leaking, just got push notification from RTE, more on morning ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Henryq.

Looks like we're slow playing the vaccine rollout

They're talking early summer before everyone is vaccinated

• Advertisement

Henryq. wrote: »
    Looks like we're slow playing the vaccine rollout

They're talking early summer before everyone is vaccinated

Doesn’t surprise me! We’ll be the last as usual. We’ll play with caution while the rest of Europe gets locked!

Cork2021 wrote: »
    Doesn’t surprise me! We’ll be the last as usual. We’ll play with caution while the rest of Europe gets locked!

Usual car crash

Doctors nurses and pharmacists are going to be trained to administer the virus lol

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1215/1184439-covid19-vaccination-plan/

Article from the examiner, I can’t see us wearing masks past June, they’ll have to lift all restrictions once we hit the 70% mark surely? Or is this a play that’ll happen every winter going forward? I hope not!

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40190799.html?fbclid=IwAR3M08X-uOiXqrZ5D9xh_8jJdmdg4i-rVDz-0CkvOi-MOo8ik9KtMDzxfh4

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I honestly think they are just being cautious so that when most people are vaccinated by late April they can say “we are ahead of schedule”! Hopefully...! :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Usual car crash

Doctors nurses and pharmacists are going to be trained to administer the virus lol

I got the flu jab from my local pharmacy only a few weeks ago, and I have to be honest, I never felt a pinch, so no issue with these lads administering the covid jab

I got the flu jab from my local pharmacy only a few weeks ago, and I have to be honest, I never felt a pinch, so no issue with these lads administering the covid jab

Got it from my GP, he came over and stood next to me and said “all done”! Didn’t even feel a pinch, like you said. The pharmacists are great too.

Usual car crash

Hopefully not, could do without getting the virus now with the vaccine on the horizon :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Level 42 wrote: »
    From the above posts I gather the next 2 weeks are crucial
    Actually, the initial post-vaccine period is. The next 2-4 weeks are just labelled with the usual stay away from people finger wagging.

leahyl wrote: »
    Got it from my GP, he came over and stood next to me and said “all done”! Didn’t even feel a pinch, like you said. The pharmacists are great too.

That was my point

What training do they need

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

VG31 wrote: »
    Although I think hand sanitiser stations remaining everywhere is a bit OTT. People can carry it with them if they feel they need it.

Universities have had hand sanitiser stations for years before covid. Why is it OTT? They should stay in high traffic areas.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement