Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine/antidote and testing procedures Megathread [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

leahyl wrote: »
    I honestly think they are just being cautious so that when most people are vaccinated by late April they can say “we are ahead of schedule”! Hopefully...! :-P
    It's doubtful we'll get that far by April, by June or July absolutely, but along with some level of restrictions. That said, they need a far more sophisticated level of communication than one that sounds like vaccines are not the end of this. That's not the way to encourage people to sign up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,486 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The training to administer the vaccine has little to do with the actual administration of the injection. Doctors, nurses and pharmacists already have that skill.

It'll be more to do with handling and preparation of the vaccine - few of them will have experience of how to deal with a drug that is stored at -70, or that needs to be diluted with normal saline before administration, like the Pfizer BioNTech vaccine - and also with answering people's questions about the risks and benefits of the vaccine, possible side effects, longevity of protection, etc. It's going to be particularly important that that last aspect is handled well, because anti-vaxxer hysteria has the potential to become a huge public health hazard if not countered by honest, responsible, reliable, trustworthy and credible information.

(And of course both the training on handling and preparation, and the training on information and communication, is going to have to cover different vaccines, as soon as we have more than one approved vaccine available.)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Henryq. wrote: »
    Usual car crash

Doctors nurses and pharmacists are going to be trained to administer the virus lol

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1215/1184439-covid19-vaccination-plan/

Sorry ? Why is that a car crash ? I got my flu vaccine in the pharmacy and she was trained , efficient . kind and I felt nothing at all .
    Although in fairness I would be happier if she administered a vaccine and not a virus

Peregrinus wrote: »
    The training to administer the vaccine has little to do with the actual administration of the injection. Doctors, nurses and pharmacists already have that skill.

It'll be more to do with handling and preparation of the vaccine - few of them will have experience of how to deal with a drug that is stored at -70, or that needs to be diluted with normal saline before administration, like the Pfizer BioNTech vaccine
    Nurses and pharmacists have been diluting IM and IV medications with saline for years .

Universities have had hand sanitiser stations for years before covid. Why is it OTT? They should stay in high traffic areas.

I think airports and rail stations etc should have hand sanitizers as a norm .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Looks like we're slow playing the vaccine rollout

They're talking early summer before everyone is vaccinated

I dont think anyone expects it to be sooner than that.

It all depends on how many vaccines candidates get through the trials.

I think it's very likely to say that Pfizer and Moderna will.

I'm not sure about AstraZeneca as there was a tiny amount of people doing the trial of the better dosage regimen. They may need to redo trials which could take a long time to get enough results.

As to the others we are still waiting for results.

If it's just Pfizer and Moderna it will take the full year to get through the population.

I dont think anyone expects it to be sooner than that.

It all depends on how many vaccines candidates get through the trials.

I think it's very likely to say that Pfizer and Moderna will.

I'm not sure about AstraZeneca as there was a tiny amount of people doing the trial of the better dosage regimen. They may need to redo trials which could take a long time to get enough results.

As to the others we are still waiting for results.

If it's just Pfizer and Moderna it will take the full year to get through the population.
    Johnson and Johnson may report Phase 3 trial data in January and if it's good would move to get approval. If the Oxford anomalies can be resolved that will be ready too. There's also CureVac in Phase 3 in Germany, plus a Novavax Phase 3 trial expected to start this month in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Cork2021

is_that_so wrote: »
    Johnson and Johnson may report Phase 3 trial data in January and if it's good would move to get approval. If the Oxford anomalies can be resolved that will ready too. There's also CureVac in Phase 3 in Germany, plus a Novavax Phase 3 trial expected to start this month in the US.

It’s probably the oxford vaccine that’ll push us over the line by summer, moderna and Pfizer for the HCW, nursing homes and over 65’s

Johnson and Johnson may report Phase 3 trial data in January and if it's good would move to get approval. If the Oxford anomalies can be resolved that will ready too. There's also CureVac in Phase 3 in Germany, plus a Novavax Phase 3 trial expected to start this month in the US.

J&J due in january is great news. Reporting trial data probably means we are talking about Fenruary or March approval. It will slowly feed into vaccine supply at that time.

Oxford as I say above I'm 50/50 on whether it gets approved or stalled for 6 months while they redo trials at the preferred dosage.

Cure vac and Novavax are great news of course that they are in or starting case 3 but they wont contribute much to the numbers before the summer.

The previous poster suggested it would be summer before everyone is vaccinated and that was slow.

In my opinion if everyone who wants a vaccine is vaccinated by summer it would mean that we get good news for more vaccines faster than I would expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,486 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Nurses and pharmacists have been diluting IM and IV medications with saline for years .
    Nurses, yes. But anything that was administered to you at a pharmacy (and, NB, the person who adminstered it to you there was almost certainly not the pharmacist) probably arrived in a pre-prepared sealed package - the administration protocol was swab the area, open the package, administer the injection, end of story. They'll definitely have to trained in a wider range of skills than they have hitherto needed in order to handle and prepare the Pfizer BioNTech vaccine.

(This isn't a trivial matter. There's a real concern that if this aspect of the distribution programme isn't handled well, a fair proportion of the early batches of the Pfizer vaccine may end up spoilt. Which is a problem if it means that some people's vaccination gets delayed, but an even bigger problem if it means that some people get a vaccine which is or may be spoilt, and therefore may provide an uncertain level of protection.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I think airports and rail stations etc should have hand sanitizers as a norm .

What I love are the new door openers some places have installed where you can open the door with your foot or elbow instead of using your hand. I've been doing (or at least trying to do) this for years with my foot, knee or sleeve pulled over my hand. Hopefully these door openers become the 'new norm'.

Nothing I hate more than washing my hands and then having to open the door of the jacks using a mouldey piss-soaked handle. I've been saying for years that all jacks doors should open out so that you can just push them open with your foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

It's doubtful we'll get that far by April, by June or July absolutely, but along with some level of restrictions. That said, they need a far more sophisticated level of communication than one that sounds like vaccines are not the end of this. That's not the way to encourage people to sign up for it.

Like, I’m curious, was this always the way it was going to be, that we will still need restrictions even after most people are vaccinated because if so, what is the point of the vaccine??! This is what I just don’t understand! It’s like some medical professionals want it to keep going; depressing stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

This vaccine . I tell you.?tghis is our salvation. Mother blots. Ohhhh yes it is.

If you are African you would have to be crazy not to get your JaB. Do what the city of London says

Like, I’m curious, was this always the way it was going to be, that we will still need restrictions even after most people are vaccinated because if so, what is the point of the vaccine??! This is what I just don’t understand! It’s like some medical professionals want it to keep going; depressing stuff
    I think we were always going to see them for some of 2021, until we see cases fall off completely and most people vaccinated. It's hard to say when exactly that will be but personally hoping it will be from March/April onwards. I think the message on vaccines at present is understandable, a poor one IMO, but ultimately counterproductive as it will make people ask why bother with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I think we were always going to see them for some of 2021, until we see cases fall off completely and most people vaccinated. It's hard to say when exactly that will be but personally hoping it will be from March/April onwards. I think the message on vaccines at present is understandable, a poor one IMO, but ultimately counterproductive as it will make people ask why bother with them.

I completely understand we can’t just drop them as soon as the first person is vaccinated but like there was a doctor on tv the other day and she was saying that restrictions would be there throughout the whole of 2021....I mean, give us a break!

Don’t lecture any good friend on your he square about what may happen in 2011 when you had less than a knackers notion what’s happened since.

To the rest of the livestock.. I’d like to share this tune

In the tones of Vincent brown I find everything slightly amusing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

Oxford vaccine is complete car crash bunch of amateurs imagine mixing up the doses.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Early Summer would be considerably ahead of schedule. Most western countries aren't expecting effective 100% coverage before the end of 2021.

What you might have heard is that the main priority groups will be done by early Summer.
    I honestly think they are just being cautious so that when most people are vaccinated by late April they can say “we are ahead of schedule”! Hopefully...! :-P
    There are two things going on here;

- "The vaccine is not the end of Covid" means that the start of vaccinations does not mean the end of restrictions. We will still be working with level 3-5 restrictions for 8-16 weeks after vaccinations start. They're trying to get it into peoples' heads that vaccine approval doesn't mean binning the masks and having granny over for a party.

- "We will still have restrictions until <some far off date>" is sand-bagging for the most part. We can make educated guesses at where we will be as the year progresses, but politicians are wary of over-promising. If you tell people you expect to be near the end of restrictions in May, then you'll be crucified if something unexpected happens and you still have restrictions in August. Instead, tell people it could be July and they'll be glad when it's May.
    Universities have had hand sanitiser stations for years before covid. Why is it OTT? They should stay in high traffic areas.
    I would hope so. When you go into a hospital it is dead simple and no effort at all to sanitise your hands as you move through it.
    There's no reason we can't do the same in every building on an ongoing basis. Why wouldn't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

If people see that restrictions remain after they get the vaccine they just wont bother with it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Gael23 wrote: »
    If people see that restrictions remain after they get the vaccine they just wont bother with it

MM seems to be a bit more optimistic than Tony’s best buddies :

But we have a plan in place now. We have a plan to roll out and it will be a collective national effort as a very significant additional tool to deal with Covid-19 and getting people's lives back to normal again," Mr Martin added.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 199 ✭✭Morries Wigs

will the oxford vaccine be dosed out in the small dose followed by a larger dose when its rolled out in the uk next few weeks

Micky 32 wrote: »
    MM seems to be a bit more optimistic than Tony’s best buddies :

But we have a plan in place now. We have a plan to roll out and it will be a collective national effort as a very significant additional tool to deal with Covid-19 and getting people's lives back to normal again," Mr Martin added.
    No date in that quote.

He could mean christmas 2021 there for all you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

No date in that quote.

He could mean christmas 2021 there for all you know.

He has already said the summer in other interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Italy is planning to make the vaccine mandatory, so it won't matter whether people bother or not. If other European countries follow the example, there will be no big issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Thats not slow playing anything, that's going by when supplies are due into the country.

It was always said vulnerable and frontline workers first and everyone else will follow after.

We don't get our supply in one big bang.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Why wouldn't they ?

You know its not as simple as right your vaccinated back to normal life you go. Needs to be a certain amount vaccinated.

Now you know that its been explained time and time again

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement