Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine/antidote and testing procedures Megathread [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Adrian Hill (from Dublin) of Oxford/Jenner Institute was hopeful of having the vaccine by late autumn early winter. So I’m confident and once it is available I’ll be one of the first ones in the queue once it’s available to all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Marhay70 wrote: »
    I listen to Prof. Luke O'Neill on radio regularly and find him a breath of fresh air. He regularly discusses vaccines and treatments which he considers have merit in the fight against Covid-19 but apart from the Oxford Vaccine and maybe one or two others, I have never heard any of the rest discussed here in Ireland, apart from present company. Only last week he was discussing four currently tried and tested treatments for other diseases which have shown to have a remarkable effect on Covid in higher mammals but have never been mentioned , to my knowledge, on Irish media. I often wonder if they don't want to give us any hope, bad news sells papers, says the cynic in me.

The Irish media has had a very short term outlook since the start of Covid. When it broke in China it was far away and exotic, shur it'll never come here. When it broke in Italy, Rte Radio 1 were advising those with skiing trips booked to Northern Italy to "gwan way and enjoy your holidays". During the initial lockdown it was rarely discussed what would happen in the weeks and months after it ended. New Normal was an empty phrase, almost cheerfully recited without any substantial detail on what "new normal" actually meant. It certainly didn't mean rolling regional lockdowns into the autumn. Same with the vaccine, the media struggle to think beyond 4 to 6 weeks in the future or that is outside of the status quo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

mr zulu wrote: »
    Colm Hendry on the radio during the week said none of the experts believe that a vaccine will be availbe for 12 to 18 months, since this whole thing kicked off all I hear is 12 to 18 months.

They are now saying its only going to be 50% effective and even less so with immune compromised and the old, the people we are in lockdown for

Dr Fauci doesn't instill confidence in yesterdays articles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Colm Hendry on the radio during the week said none of the experts believe that a vaccine will be availbe for 12 to 18 months, since this whole thing kicked off all I hear is 12 to 18 months.

There are several vaccines at advanced Phase three trial, the stage at which large scale testing of human volunteers begins. These usually take 3 to 4 months depending on take up. At present these trials are showing a lot of promise but to quote the old political cliche, Nothing is settled until everything is settled, and they have to be 100% sure that the vaccine is safe. Vaccines are already in use in China and Russia , among the military, but these countries do not conform to the high levels of ethics seen elsewhere in the world. Even so, their attempts seem to have a lot of merit too.
    When a vaccine is eventually approved, then you have the problem of manufacture and distribution, this is a huge logistical operation, unseen outside a war situation. This is where most of the delay will take place but some countries have so much confidence in the emerging vaccines that they have already committed billions of euro to pre production.
    All things being equal, the most advanced vaccine, in the trial sense, could be rady to go into production by November. Then the red tape and political buffoonery will start, wealthy countries will start getting supplies early next year, which will be reserved for the most valuable people and people at high risk, after that it becomes a bit of a lottery, my best case scenario for world wide distribution would be 2023.

Thierry12 wrote: »
    They are now saying its only going to be 50% effective and even less so with immune compromised and the old, the people we are in lockdown for

Dr Fauci doesn't instill confidence in yesterdays articles[/QUOTE

Something similar has been said before. All the vaccines will have varying results in different groups, this is not unusual in any medication but 50% seems a bit pessimistic. I think Dr. Fuucci is on a hiding to nothing, to be honest, I wouldn't fancy having that cretin breathing down my neck and his goons parsing every word I say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

"Marhay7 wrote:

Something similar has been said before. All the vaccines will have varying results in different groups, this is not unusual in any medication but 50% seems a bit pessimistic. I think Dr. Fuucci is on a hiding to nothing, to be honest, I wouldn't fancy having that cretin breathing down my neck and his goons parsing every word I say.

From what ive read they are very worried about immune compromised like HIV, cancer, chronic disease, old age recipients etc

Didn't want them in the trials even

They seem confident giving it to young soldiers, but not for the people we are trying to save

Basically we will be vaccinating people that dont need the vaccine and it won't work for people that need it

Horrible stuff really

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Yeah, it’s very concerning. All doom and gloom in the media, it’s here for years blah blah blah but rarely mentioned about the potential vaccines, it’s like they hardly exist. I have to wonder about people, even if a vaccine became available tomorrow would the lockdown merchants still want us locked up and demonize us for travelling, will we still have to quarantine etc etc

I have close family in the USA that i regularly visit and i think i’m resigning to the fact i may never see them again, depressing....

This is precisely it , don't know why but media/govt seem to want this endless lockdown, ask yourself who does well during an economic collapse ?

And I have fully accepted that I will never see my parents again - EVER.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,897 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Marhay70 wrote: »
    I listen to Prof. Luke O'Neill on radio regularly and find him a breath of fresh air. He regularly discusses vaccines and treatments which he considers have merit in the fight against Covid-19 but apart from the Oxford Vaccine and maybe one or two others, I have never heard any of the rest discussed here in Ireland, apart from present company. Only last week he was discussing four currently tried and tested treatments for other diseases which have shown to have a remarkable effect on Covid in higher mammals but have never been mentioned , to my knowledge, on Irish media. I often wonder if they don't want to give us any hope, bad news sells papers, says the cynic in me.

Is Newstalk and the Sunday Independent not 'Irish media'?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Exactly! It's been 12-18 months since February ! , surely that should be 6-12 months now ??!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭Don2012

NaFirinne wrote: »
    Mandatory Vaccines is Mark of the Beast territory.

Pure evil disguised as saving us all.

Well said, 100% agree. All the left leaning (seems to be the majority) on this forum, hate truth. They silence it no matter what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Exactly! It's been 12-18 months since February ! , surely that should be 6-12 months now ??!!

I'd settle for 11 to 17 months at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭Don2012

I'd settle for 11 to 17 months at this stage

No I'd say 2030.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Have to agree with the sentiment of the last few posts, among all the gloomy other threads about covid, I have enjoyed looking at this one which seems to offer a far more positive outlook and it is nice reading about the progress of the vaccines in here.

But the talk by many others who think we will have to live with this virus for many years and seem to not even acknowledge the fact there are many vaccines being developed through out the world almost makes me think they want us to live like this and with restrictions forever....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Don2012 wrote: »
    Well said, 100% agree. All the left leaning (seems to be the majority) on this forum, hate truth. They silence it no matter what.

There’s a conspiracy forum, feel free to go there.

No I'd say 2030.

Well if that’s the case it should be proven safe by then, so what will your excuse be not to take it in 2030?

Have you given up on peddling your conspiracy theories elsewhere on Boards and decided to have a go here? I can assure you you'll get as much shrift on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭NaFirinne

Sweden don't seem to be doing to badly these days I wonder will they enforce a vaccine?

Well if that’s the case it should be proven safe by then, so what will your excuse be not to take it in 2030?

Micky, my advice would be to just press the ignore button, he's peddling this shi*e all over Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭NaFirinne

There’s a conspiracy forum, feel free to go there.

It's not really conspiracy when it's happening in plain sight.

You'd have to be like an ostrich with your head buried deep in sand not to see what's going on.

But the talk by many others who think we will have to live with this virus for many years and seem to not even acknowledge the fact there are many vaccines being developed through out the world almost makes me think they want us to live like this and with restrictions forever....

Unfortunately there’s a cohort of people on these forums that do. Loving the drama, their fix of doom and gloom. Some like nothing better than seeing people restricted especially if they think they had a life of reilly before the virus. This virus has been a real eye opener about people.

• Advertisement

NaFirinne wrote: »
    It's not really conspiracy when it's happening in plain sight.

You'd have to be like an ostrich with your head buried deep in sand not to see what's going on.

So you have evidence to back your claims?

So you have evidence to back your claims?

I think this might be don 2012 with another account, spouts very much the same cr*p anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

A friend of mine was tested on Thursday at lunchtime, more than 72 hours later theres still no results and everyone is still in limbo.

Why cant they turnaround tests quicker ? Surely its in everyone's interests to get the results back quicker.

If its positive it means that the tracing will be faster with less chance of it spreading, if its negative people can get back to their lives and work etc.

Do they stop/slow down testing over the weekend ? Is testing done around the clock or is it just 9-5 ?

I cant understand how getting the results back from the tests isnt a high priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,897 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Have to agree with the sentiment of the last few posts, among all the gloomy other threads about covid, I have enjoyed looking at this one which seems to offer a far more positive outlook and it is nice reading about the progress of the vaccines in here.

it used to be until the usual culprits started posting their nonsense here and nobody stops them as per usual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

it used to be until the usual culprits started posting their nonsense here and nobody stops them as per usual

They're like a horde of Mongols going from thread to thread making **** of them. For ages we've had brilliant articles and discussions about the vaccine and now the nutters are here. I wish they'd piss of back to current affairs or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

From what ive read they are very worried about immune compromised like HIV, cancer, chronic disease, old age recipients etc

Didn't want them in the trials even

They seem confident giving it to young soldiers, but not for the people we are trying to save

Basically we will be vaccinating people that dont need the vaccine and it won't work for people that need it

Horrible stuff really

That's not actually a bad scenario, even if the vulnerable cannot get vaccinated, as long as the majority of the population get it then the prevalence of the virus will disappear. There won't be enough people around spreading the virus to the the vulnerable. The measels vaccine works this way, certain health-compromised kids can't take the vaccine but if all the other kids take it the chance of catching it are very low (anti-vax Luddites doing their best to kill innocent kids notwithstanding).

I've seen a figure of 60% mentioned as the number of the population that need to be immune to effectively make the whole population safe.

No idea about that figures accuracy, but assuming that is the target: if we could get 90% of the population vaccinated, and assume the vaccine is 50% effective we would have 45% immunity in the population. Add in the percentage that already had the virus and we might be getting near 50% immunity.
    That is not miles away from the 60% required, so fingers crossed on the efficacy of the vaccines being higher than 50% and hope not too many anti-vaxers out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Well theres never going to be a 100% effective vaccine. All the vaccine needs to do is make sure at least 50% of recipients don't suffer the worst of the virus or die. If and when one rolls out in late 2020 early 2021 it'll be a godsend. Newer vaccines can be more potent after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Who are they? If you mean talking heads spouting ****e based on flu vaccines, I'm not interested, if it is based on phase iii trials of actual vaccines then maybe more so, except I don't think any of these are completed yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Who are they? If you mean talking heads spouting ****e based on flu vaccines, I'm not interested, if it is based on phase iii trials of actual vaccines then maybe more so, except I don't think any of these are completed yet.

I’ll probably need Hmmzis or hmmm to confirm this but phase 3 with oxford can’t be far off finishing??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I’m sure they work 24hrs but at most 3 hrs to run a test, but you have to also factor in the courier to the lab and unless they have an auto pooler (which I seriously doubt) and they are trying save money and reagents (which in current climates most countries are forced too) then it pooling samples by hand.

It’s possible their High throughput analyser has had a crash and needed repair causing a backlog, I see the confirmed cases was significantly lower than expected today so it’s possible to delays.

Or it could be the sample went to Germany.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement