Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine/antidote and testing procedures Megathread [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 55 ✭✭braychelsea

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Well that's not exactly to say that it will be approved on 23rd.
    I'd love to know what exactly the EMA need to know that's different from the US or Singapore or Canada. Early on I was inclined to think , " well they're being thorough" but now I'm thinking "get the finger out"

https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN28P174

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

brisan wrote: »
    Not questioning the statement ,but is that actually legal
    Posters on here saying it not legally possible

As far as I knew, it might be not legal, but plans are these.
    Yesterday our Health Minister said that unless a good number of people is going to take the vaccine voluntarily, they will need to make it compulsory.
    The last stats say that at least 30-35% of population isn't going to take the vaccine, another 15% is unsure, then there are those who already had the covid who, apparently, might be the last to take it, and those who might be exempt because of health conditions.
    Only 50-60% of health workers is willing to take the vaccine, according to a very recent survey.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,675 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I'd love to know what exactly the EMA need to know that's different from the US or Singapore or Canada. Early on I was inclined to think , " well they're being thorough" but now I'm thinking "get the finger out"

UK approved for Emergency Authorization.
    US approved for Emergency Authorization.

I don't know about Canada or Singapore.

I would assume EMA don't approve for Emergency Authorization as that would be a country specific decison rathen than a Euro-Zone wide decision.

Ireland could approve for Emergency Authorization just as the UK did, but have decided (rightly/wrongly) to wait for EMA approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

is_that_so wrote: »
    They organise flu' vaccines perfectly well every year, this year over 1m of them. It won't be a challenge until we get to the much larger numbers of general population. That's likely to be around summertime.

Flu vaccine doesn't pose the same logistical problems as the Pfizer vaccine.

The HSE has presided over a multitude of cock ups since its inception, I can fully understand why people would question their ability to deal with this.

Do you honestly think elderly vulnerable people in care homes who have had no visitors for months ,or HCW who are at work would have an issue getting vaccinated on Christmas day

I don't know. I just don't think it particularly likely.

And if they did, I reckon you'd have a co-hort of people saying it is a disgrace that they are rushing the vaccine out for Christmas day PR reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

They already do it.

Vaccines against the following diseases are mandatory for Italian schoolchildren: polio, diphtheria, tetanus, hepatitis B, haemophilus influenzae B, measles, mumps, rubella, whooping cough, and chickenpox.

So there is no international law or Geneva ruling to stop any country in Europe (Ireland included ) from making the Covid vaccine mandatory unless on medical grounds ?
    Would that be correct ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Not if, as claimed, we will have limited supplies of vaccines for a few months. March or April are probably more realistic.

I was assuming the limited numbers would cover the high risk folks? Once they are vaccinated the hospital admissions and ICU numbers will be reduced significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Their latest date for a decision was always Dec 29. Not sure why you're fussing so much about this. The EU plan is for a January start anyway on vaccinations.

schmoo2k wrote: »
    I was assuming the limited numbers would cover the high risk folks? Once they are vaccinated the hospital admissions and ICU numbers will be reduced significantly.
    I'd say so, Groups 1-4 the targets I reckon.

UK approved for Emergency Authorization.
    US approved for Emergency Authorization.

I don't know about Canada or Singapore.

I would assume EMA don't approve for Emergency Authorization as that would be a country specific decison rathen than a Euro-Zone wide decision.

Ireland could approve for Emergency Authorization just as the UK did, but have decided (rightly/wrongly) to wait for EMA approval.

What's to stop the EMA from approving for Emergency Authorisation for the EU and the individual countries deciding whether or not to approve for their own country? Makes more logical sense to me.

• Advertisement

I don't know. I just don't think it particularly likely.

And if they did, I reckon you'd have a co-hort of people saying it is a disgrace that they are rushing the vaccine out for Christmas day PR reasons.

Surely it would be health reasons and not PR reasons
    Do you not think other European countries will be vaccinating on Christmas day if the Vaccine is approved before then ??

So there is no international law or Geneva ruling to stop any country in Europe (Ireland included ) from making the Covid vaccine mandatory unless on medical grounds ?
    Would that be correct ?
    That I don't know but I've seen posters say that. Here's the ECtHR view on it.
    The ECtHR has reiterated in its established case-law that the notion of ‘necessity in a democratic society’ implies a pressing social need to which the interference at stake corresponds and, in particular, that this interference is proportionate to the legitimate aim pursued

Link
    https://voelkerrechtsblog.org/articles/do-compulsory-vaccinations-against-covid-19-violate-human-rights/

The Italian law makes a lot of sense in the face of big falloffs in children being vaccinated. France have something similar.

Here's a commentary on the Italian law.

https://www.eurosurveillance.org/content/10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2019.24.26.1900371

I'm reading the NPHET line

The vaccine wont get us back to normal until the majority of the country has been vaccinated

although I admit the italicised section is something I am adding in myself.

Restrictions and normality are two different things!

Would that be correct ?

What some places do is require vaccinations before children can attend school - folks still have the option to not vaccinate and home school.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

What's to stop the EMA from approving for Emergency Authorisation for the EU and the individual countries deciding whether or not to approve for their own country? Makes more logical sense to me.
    From what I've read that's the plan. The EMA will sign off on it, but each individual country has their own regulator who will also need to sign off (hopefully that's just a formality). Then the EU is talking about everyone starting vaccinations on the same day - I presume that's to avoid claims of favoritism or attempts to cut corners.

That I don't know but I've seen posters say that. The Italian law makes a lot of sense in the face of big falloffs in children being vaccinated. France have something similar.

Here's a commentary on the Italian law.

https://www.eurosurveillance.org/content/10.2807/1560-7917.ES.2019.24.26.1900371

Its an interesting option to have if take up is low
    I can see a large group of anti vaxxers taking this all the way to the European courts
    It would be good if the European courts gave a ruling on this early in the year

hmmm wrote: »
    From what I've read that's the plan. The EMA will sign off on it, but each individual country has their own regulator who will also need to sign off (hopefully that's just a formality). Then the EU is talking about everyone starting vaccinations on the same day - I presume that's to avoid claims of favoritism or attempts to cut corners.

Yep that makes more sense to me, I was replying to someone who understood the opposite to be the case.
    It makes it even harder to understand the delay in signing off though, given that equally competent authorities have done so with the same information.

I don't know. But IMO it doesn't make sense that way around.

Let the countries decide emergency level (As the UK did, within the Euro framework), let EMA approve for general usage at a euro-level. That makes sense to me as a process but I've its not like I've delved into the processes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Italy is planning to make the vaccine mandatory, so it won't matter whether people bother or not. If other European countries follow the example, there will be no big issue.

Italian government have back tracked on making the vaccination mandatory.
    After there helth ministry carried out a survey trough SG.
    A higher uptake of the vaccination will acoure if its vaccination is voluntary

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Pfizer didn't apply for emergency authorisation from the ema.

The UK got a cut back data packet when Pfizer applied to them. The UK also have to approve each batch separately because of this.

They applied for conditional market approval in the eu which is a higher standard with more information required.

• Advertisement

I don't know. But IMO it doesn't make sense that way around.

Let the countries decide emergency level (As the UK did, within the Euro framework), let EMA approve for general usage at a euro-level. That makes sense to me as a process but I've its not like I've delved into the processes.

The Irish regulator isn't well resourced enough to put in the work needed for an approval, like a lot of national regulators they do good work and contribute to the work of the EMA, but on their own don't have the expertise.

The UK regulator has 1200 staff (compared with the EMA's 900), have a lot of staff that used to be with the EMA before they moved to Holland and have been getting prepared to work off their own bat before Brexit.

There's little mistake in that article, nothing that diminishes the validity of the content, but just to be precise, the number of regions in Italy is 20, not 21.

ZX7R wrote: »
    Italian government have back tracked on making the vaccination mandatory.
    After there helth ministry carried out a survey trough SG.
    A higher uptake of the vaccination will acoure if its vaccination is voluntary

The statement from the health minister is from yesterday, he said "if a sufficient number of voluntary vaccinations isn't reached, we're thinking of making it mandatory"
    This statement had been spoken out before, and then back tracked, and stated again. So, it is possible that they will do what they are saying.

The other statement a few days ago was that it should be mandatory for health workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

FDA says no specific safety concerned for Moderna vaccine.
    Looks like they’ll approve that one soon.

Be fairly bad if the US have 2 approved vaccines and the entire EU none tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

FDA says no specific safety concerned for Moderna vaccine.
    Looks like they’ll approve that one soon.

Be fairly bad if the US have 2 approved vaccines and the entire EU none tbh

Currently the UK are week 2 into rolling out the vaccine and we're still tendering (?) for the IT system we're going to use. Not great. Also they've mentioned the 29th as the date so many times our lot don't look like they'd be ready if it was pushed forward a week, despite the EU always stating it was 29th at the latest.

Obviously wait and see how we actually do it before giving out but it certainly looks like it could go wrong. The IT system etc. could have been done months ago, and I don't think that's an exagerration.

AdamD wrote: »
    Currently the UK are week 2 into rolling out the vaccine and we're still tendering (?) for the IT system we're going to use. Not great. Also they've mentioned the 29th as the date so many times our lot don't look like they'd be ready if it was pushed forward a week, despite the EU always stating it was 29th at the latest.

Obviously wait and see how we actually do it before giving out but it certainly looks like it could go wrong. The IT system etc. could have been done months ago, and I don't think that's an exagerration.

The HSE knew for months that their IT systems were not fit for purpose
    However to give them their due it seems as though it was only late last month that they realized a vaccination program would need to be rolled out and for that rollout they would need a plan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cgc5483

hmmm wrote: »

The EMA issue an opinion which is then signed off by the European Commission who issue the authorisation. There is no additional sign off by the regulators in each country.

• Advertisement

eigrod wrote: »

Are the British not Europeans any more ?
    I sincerely hope that the HSE are ready to roll, if the EMA authorize use on the 21st or will Paul from HR be travelling home for Christmas and he has the keys to the vaccine boxes

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement