Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine/antidote and testing procedures Megathread [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Bursanc

Seems like they're looking at the end of the first half of the year for mass vaccination (around June I suppose). Though this could be even sooner if vaccine supplies ramp up before then

• Registered Users Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

ixoy wrote: »
    Yep and that's going to be a key point that the HSE will need to get out there as to why, as the program gets underway, we'll still be looking at things like masks, social distancing as we have to assume - until proven otherwise - that everyone can still transmit.

tbh i think this is being lost on people.
    The amount of people who have wrote things like, "when i get my vaccine i can throw away my mask" is quite alarming tbh.
    People aren't understanding how this is supposed to work.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Bursanc wrote: »
    Seems like they're looking at the end of the first half of the year for mass vaccination (around June I suppose). Though this could be even sooner if vaccine supplies ramp up before then
    Indeed. They have to be cautious here about timelines given that the solid fact is we have 0 approved vaccine candidates at this time.

Realistically, if we enter March with Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, J&J and maybe Novavax we should be able to accelerate those timelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

EMA will decide December 21st, latest news.

Now, most countries were going to get ready for the roll out mid-January. Will the 4 weeks in the middle be wasted?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

It seems there are considerations for vaccination certificates underway, based on that document. Can't see them not being a thing given that there will certainly be countries / situations where you will be required to provide proof of having had a vaccine.
    chrome_TmhX7bdEt5.png

Interesting to see what ends up being implemented.

"The solution must also potentially cater for the production of a vaccine certificate. The design of this certificate and the scope of how it will be delivered (e.g. physically, digitally or both) is currently being progressed with a number of stakeholders, including the EU. " (page 42 of National COVID-19 Vaccination Strategy)

Also included is a good table on Irish allocations of EU stock

chrome_1LFhtmGWzv.png

• Advertisement

Do you think we will have enough?

536216.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It seems there are considerations for vaccination certificates underway, based on that document. Can't see them not being a thing given that there will certainly be countries / situations where you will be required to provide proof of having had a vaccine.

Interesting to see what ends up being implemented.

"The solution must also potentially cater for the production of a vaccine certificate. The design of this certificate and the scope of how it will be delivered (e.g. physically, digitally or both) is currently being progressed with a number of stakeholders, including the EU. " (page 42 of National COVID-19 Vaccination Strategy)
    Certainly an EU standard certificate seems like the most appropriate thing to do. Just a reference number that can be looked up by relevant bodies (immigration, health authorities) in any EU country, as well as the ability to generate a certificate or passport insert for travelling to other countries.

I guess all countries have optioned many more doses than they need, just in case something goes wrong. I think 3 times the necessary is the norm.

If it has to be, I hope it's a certificate that we don't have to carry with us. It must be a digital thing, on a server, where the authorities may access and read.
    I don't even have the loyalty cards from supermarkets with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

marno21 wrote: »
    I feel a lot more optimistic reading this; it seems the Civil Service are tuned in here and know what has to be done unlike the disjointed blasé stuff we’ve been hearing from politicians and in the media recently.
    That IT project in the plan is a big project in my opinion, particularly with all the interlinks they are looking for. I know they are going to try and deliver it in modules, but you can only wish the best to who-ever is trying to deliver this. Particularly as most places are in the middle of code freezes, and you're not going to deliver much over the Christmas period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Sanofi slipping was a blow.

We have to hope (I think) that 2 out of 3 of the AZ, J&J, and CureVac will deliver on time to get mass vaccinations towards Summer.

I thought also the EU had a deal with Novavax?

hmmm wrote: »

I thought also the EU had a deal with Novavax?

Still in negotiations apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

chrome_TmhX7bdEt5.png

Brilliant. Quite right. Never thought I'd welcome the advent of a new caste system but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Brilliant. Quite right. Never thought I'd welcome the advent of a new caste system but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Caste system?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

I assume folks who tested positive will also get a cert?

Caste system?

The certificate isn't supposed to be congratulatory. I would guess it is to differentiate between those who have been vaccinated and those who haven't, and will find usage as a means of verification to travel through airports, go to gigs, attend nightclubs, go to sports, and so on. Until the virus is vanquished it makes the most sense to have a vaccination screening system for most events.

schmoo2k wrote: »
    I assume folks who tested positive will also get a cert?

Unlikely -- the jury is still out on how long one is immune from the virus for after infection, and there have been myriad studies showing that an individual can become reinfected after a few months since their recovery.

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Not sure about that, there is already decent enough indications that the current vaccines prevent infections outright. Both Oxford and Moderna have some ok-ish data on it already.
    Indeed. But we won't really have a good indication on its real world protective effects until we have a few hundred thousand people vaccinated for a couple of months.

That'll bring us from "probably" to "almost definitely".

To get from there to "absolutely certain" will likely require challenge trials. We may never bother with them.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Until the virus is vanquished it makes the most sense to have a vaccination screening system for most events.
    Although the people most likely to go to many of these are amongst the last to be vaccinated.. That will cause pushback even though I understand your point.

Unlikely -- the jury is still out on how long one is immune from the virus for after infection, and there have been myriad studies showing that an individual can become reinfected after a few months since their recovery.

I know a person who got infected at the very beginning of the outbreak and in their recent serological test they are still "positive for the antibodies". This person is still also a plasma donor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

ixoy wrote: »
    Although the people most likely to go to many of these are amongst the last to be vaccinated.. That will cause pushback even though I understand your point.

Yeah this is why we're highly unlikely to see any form of domestic 'passport' system. The highly mobile people are the ones at the very bottom of the list for getting the vaccine.

The certificate isn't supposed to be congratulatory. I would guess it is to differentiate between those who have been vaccinated and those who haven't, and will find usage as a means of verification to travel through airports, go to gigs, attend nightclubs, go to sports, and so on. Until the virus is vanquished it makes the most sense to have a vaccination screening system for most events.

It won't be needed for any voluntary settings like gigs, sports etc. Some countries may require it for entry and some "high risk" settings like ICU and retirement settings would be my guess.

Take a concert as an example:
    1. If your vaccinated happy days.
    2. You are not vaccinated but consider yourself a low risk so are happy to go to the gig happy days, but you may need to self isolate should you contract Covid (the same as if you caught it in the shops). Good news your now immune!

The point is that its your personal responsibility once the vaccine is available.
    Note: Low risk groups very rarely need hospitalisation (by definition).

I know a person who got infected at the very beginning of the outbreak and in their recent serological test they are still "positive for the antibodies". This person is still also a plasma donor.

Knowing one person doesn't mean anything. You need a much larger sample than that before you can make a call like that.

It won't be needed for any voluntary settings like gigs, sports etc. Some countries may require it for entry and some "high risk" settings like ICU and retirement settings would be my guess.

2. You are not vaccinated but consider yourself a low risk so are happy to go to the gig happy days, but you may need to self isolate should you contract Covid (the same as if you caught it in the shops). Good news your now immune!

The point is that its your personal responsibility once the vaccine is available.

Maybe you are right. We will see anyway. Certainly both you and ioxy have made pragmatic points I didn't think of so thanks for that.

1. There is more evidence on how long the natural immunity lasts than there is for the vaccines.
    2. The number of reinfections is tiny, even less than Chicken Pox reinfections and we consider that a "get once" disease.

1. There is more evidence on how long the natural immunity lasts than there is for the vaccines.
    2. The number of reinfections is tiny, even less than Chicken Pox reinfections and we consider that a "get once" disease.

1. That's a misnomer -- the vaccines have been designed to last as long as they can. Most epidemiologists and virologists seem to be more convicted in the vaccines providing longer protection than natural antibodies arising from prior infection.

2. Based on very limited longitudinal data -- the virus has only been around for a year at most and there hasn't been much opportunity to study its reinfection rates, especially amongst asymptomatic people who may not even have realised they had it the first time. Comparing it to chicken pox is a bit of a misnomer also because we have had a very, very long time to acquire the relevant data on that. There's no way we can say anything definitively right now hence I would assume those who have been infected will still be required to get vaccinated in an ideal world.

hmmm wrote: »
    Particularly as most places are in the middle of code freezes, and you're not going to deliver much over the Christmas period.
    Code freezes are only for old-school companies who plan on shutting down over Xmas. :)

With enough cash incentive there's no reason a dedicated dev team can't work on it all the way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

with the above example:
    you are vaccinated.
    you catch covid at the gig
    covid has no effect as you are immune from the vaccine but you carry the virus
    you return to work in a hospital where you are dealing with people who have low immune systems and cant take the vaccine.

whats the plan for this?

Is nothing new
    536221.JPG

• Advertisement

This is what I always believed, but it seems most people do not agree.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement