Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine/antidote and testing procedures Megathread [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Knowing one person doesn't mean anything. You need a much larger sample than that before you can make a call like that.

There are lots of people like that, as far as I know, but I only personally know this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

1. That's a misnomer -- the vaccines have been designed to last as long as they can. Most epidemiologists and virologists seem to be more convicted in the vaccines providing longer protection than natural antibodies arising from prior infection.

2. Based on very limited longitudinal data -- the virus has only been around for a year at most and there hasn't been much opportunity to study its reinfection rates, especially amongst asymptomatic people who may not even have realised they had it the first time. Comparing it to chicken pox is a bit of a misnomer also because we have had a very, very long time to acquire the relevant data on that. There's no way we can say anything definitively right now hence I would assume those who have been infected will still be required to get vaccinated in an ideal world.

1 - I may be wrong but the non mRNA vaccines are based on infecting folks with a "dead" virus to prime the immune system? Your immune system gets primed exactly the same way with the "live" virus (but obviously more dangerous). Also the antibody protection will be shorter lived than the T-Cell immunity, which they are still studying. Misnomer is a bit harsh.

2 - You are correct that there is no way to say anything definitively right now, but we do have 8 to 10 months of re-infection data and the numbers are very low. Even Pfizzer points out that their vaccine may only be good for 1 year, they don't definitively know yet either. But its a good thing that those numbers are low and long may it last!

seamus wrote: »
    Code freezes are only for old-school companies who plan on shutting down over Xmas. :)

With enough cash incentive there's no reason a dedicated dev team can't work on it all the way through.

No they are for old school customers who insist you don't change your code as they want xmas off! (its a great time for coders, get to do mad things for a while).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

1. That's a misnomer -- the vaccines have been designed to last as long as they can. Most epidemiologists and virologists seem to be more convicted in the vaccines providing longer protection than natural antibodies arising from prior infection.

Several viral diseases leave you a natural immunity as long as that give you by the vaccine. So, we don't know if this virus/vaccine is different.
    There's no way we can say anything definitively right now hence I would assume those who have been infected will still be required to get vaccinated in an ideal world.

I read an interview where it was stated that those who got the disease won't need the vaccine, at least in the first year(s).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Can't see it mentioned on the thread but Moderna on the cusp of approval in US.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55320467

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

schmoo2k wrote: »
    1 - I may be wrong but the non mRNA vaccines are based on infecting folks with a "dead" virus to prime the immune system? Your immune system gets primed exactly the same way with the "live" virus (but obviously more dangerous). Also the antibody protection will be shorter lived than the T-Cell immunity, which they are still studying. Misnomer is a bit harsh.

Not quite correct.
    The 'dead' virus vaccines are called inactivated whole virus vaccines. They use the whole virion deactivated in formaline and/or beta-propiolactone, that hopefully messes up the proteins only so much as to make it inert but still similar enough to the wild type to be valid as a template for your immune system to learn from. These vaccines do not infect your cells, they physically cannot do that, that's the whole point of inactivation. In order for your immune system to react to this 'dead' virus an adjuvant gets added (alum, ASO3, etc.). It's effectively a protein based vaccine using whole virus particles. These vaccines cannot induce killer cell responses (CD8+), they induce T helper cells though and hopefully the type 1 ones.

Viral vectors, mRNA and live attenuated vaccines do 'infect' your cells. Viral vectors (mostly) and mRNA just do not replicate in them, while live attenuated do replicate to some extent. This induces both T helper cells and killer cells.

All approaches induce antibody production and hopefully germinal centers as well to properly mature the B cells so that they can become long lived plasma cells giving you a constant background of antibodies.

The wild type virus infects your cells proper, replicates a LOT and does a real mess with the inner workings of your cells in the process, inhibiting lots of interferon signaling pathways, suppressing MHC-I etc. This whole messing around with the innate cellular signaling is what's causing the disease and the observed suppressed germinal center activity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

What time is the official announcement by the "government" regarding the rollout?

All I'm seeing is a soft drop on the Irish Times site with some of the presumed details so far

Is there a Presser about it today?

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Not quite correct.
    The 'dead' virus vaccines are called inactivated whole virus vaccines. They use the whole virion deactivated in formaline and/or beta-propiolactone, that hopefully messes up the proteins only so much as to make it inert but still similar enough to the wild type to be valid as a template for your immune system to learn from. These vaccines do not infect your cells, they physically cannot do that, that's the whole point of inactivation. In order for your immune system to react to this 'dead' virus an adjuvant gets added (alum, ASO3, etc.). It's effectively a protein based vaccine using whole virus particles. These vaccines cannot induce killer cell responses (CD8+), they induce T helper cells though and hopefully the type 1 ones.

Viral vectors, mRNA and live attenuated vaccines do 'infect' your cells. Viral vectors (mostly) and mRNA just do not replicate in them, while live attenuated do replicate to some extent. This induces both T helper cells and killer cells.

All approaches induce antibody production and hopefully germinal centers as well to properly mature the B cells so that they can become long lived plasma cells giving you a constant background of antibodies.

The wild type virus infects your cells proper, replicates a LOT and does a real mess with the inner workings of your cells in the process, inhibiting lots of interferon signaling pathways, suppressing MHC-I etc. This whole messing around with the innate cellular signaling is what's causing the disease and the observed suppressed germinal center activity.

Does that mean for the asymptomatic folks the "live" virus should trigger the same immune response as the inactivated one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    What time is the official announcement by the "government" regarding the rollout?

All I'm seeing is a soft drop on the Irish Times site with some of the presumed details so far

Announced a few hours ago. Details are on gov.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Does that mean for the asymptomatic folks the "live" virus should trigger the same immune response as the inactivated one?

Different. Since you're mentioning asymptomatic I'm assuming you're talking about the real deal virus not an attenuated vaccine version.

With the real deal it's a bit of a lottery how good a response you'll get. Even asymptomatic convalescents have wildly varying serological and T cell readings (between excellent and barely anything at all). It all depends on how well your immune system managed to deal with the signaling interruptions.

With a vaccine (of any kind) it's more predictable and vastly safer.

I hope I got the gist of your questions right here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

ShineOn7 wrote: »

There was one earlier today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

is_that_so wrote: »
    Can't see it mentioned on the thread but Moderna on the cusp of approval in US.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55320467

I think they got approved. One difference to the Pfizer vaccine is the gap between doses is 4 weeks rather than 3 weeks, and after 6 weeks of first dose you have a strong immune response.

Looks like the Germans have brought huge pressure on the EMA to approve Pfizer for emergency use.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I think they got approved. One difference to the Pfizer vaccine is the gap between doses is 4 weeks rather than 3 weeks, and after 6 weeks of first dose you have a strong immune response.

Looks like the Germans have brought huge pressure on the EMA to approve Pfizer for emergency use.
    The EMA have said all along a decision by Dec 29 at the latest but they were hopeful it might be earlier. That all it is. It'll still tie into the EU January start.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

tom1ie wrote: »
    with the above example:
    you are vaccinated.
    you catch covid at the gig
    covid has no effect as you are immune from the vaccine but you carry the virus
    you return to work in a hospital where you are dealing with people who have low immune systems and cant take the vaccine.

whats the plan for this?

Anyone else see this as a potential issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

He's already been saying in the last few days he expects the country fully open by mid summer

It won’t be as big of an issue than if we were put in permanent lockdown and restrictions that you’re promoting to keep indefinately.

The government’s aim is to get back to normal and hopefully by mid summer and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I'd imagine those (hopefully rare) scenarios are something people are going to have to accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

with the above example:
    you are vaccinated.
    you return to work in a hospital where you are dealing with people who have low immune systems and cant take the vaccine.

whats the plan for this?

i would imagine in that case the sick person gets covid and may well die of it, that happens daily in hospitals. very sick people get an infection and that kills them. people die in hospitals its what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

with the above example:
    you are vaccinated.

whats the plan for this?

Let’s say there was never any Covid.

You go to the gig, get a bad flu, go to the hospital and give it to a patient.

It’s unfortunate but Covid won’t be the first disease that can be dangerous.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    It won’t be as big of an issue than if we were put in permanent lockdown and restrictions that you’re promoting to keep indefinately.

The government’s aim is to get back to normal and hopefully by mid summer and rightly so.

Who is promoting to keep indefinitely? Me?

El Sueño wrote: »
    I'd imagine those (hopefully rare) scenarios are something people are going to have to accept.[/quote

I wonder how rare it would actually be though?

• Advertisement

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Let’s say there was never any Covid.

You go to the gig, get a bad flu, go to the hospital and give it to a patient.

It’s unfortunate but Covid won’t be the first disease that can be dangerous.

Indeed except for covid is a hell of a lot worse than flu.

My point on all this is while the vaccine is being rolled out the government need to inform the public that restrictions and masks need to kept in place until a short period of time after everyone that can get the vaccine gets the vaccine.
    That way we can be sure we have covid pretty much beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Indeed except for covid is a hell of a lot worse than flu.

Yes - agreed, I didn’t mean to come across as one of those “Covid is just fly” people.

My point being the government need to tell people that restrictions and mask wearing etc must stay in place until a short period of time after everyone that can/ will get a vaccine has got a vaccine. That way you can be sure we have pretty much got the virus beat.

with the above example:
    you are vaccinated.

whats the plan for this?

Same thing as if you caught it at the shops I would imagine?

Same thing as if you caught it at the shops I would imagine?

Yeah agreed so.......what’s the plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Yeah agreed so.......what’s the plan?
    Which vaccine are you referring to? Moderna, Pfizer and AZ have been shown to significantly reduce asymptomatic infection. Your scenario is quite unlikely.

Which vaccine are you referring to? Moderna, Pfizer and AZ have been shown to significantly reduce asymptomatic infection. Your scenario is quite unlikely.

Any of the vaccines.
    Ok well this is news to me and anyone I’ve asked so far.
    I thought they didn’t know that you couldn’t spread it once you take the vaccine?
    My scenario is not unlikely. What if you have a family member with a low immune system under 16?

Any of the vaccines.
    I thought they didn’t know that you couldn’t spread it once you take the vaccine?
    My scenario is not unlikely. What if you have a family member with a low immune system under 16?

They should have thought twice before attending the gig then? In your scenario they could have caught it from the vaccinated person beside them...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Any of the vaccines.
    It is unlikely if a person is vaccinated.
    Just from today:
    Moderna Inc said data from the late stage trial of its COVID-19 vaccine suggests that it could prevent some asymptomatic infections as soon as the first dose of the shot is given.
    https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-moderna-asymptomatic/moderna-says-its-covid-19-vaccine-may-prevent-asymptomatic-infection-idUSFWN2IV07D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement