Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine/antidote and testing procedures Megathread [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,540 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

schmoo2k wrote: »
    I do agree and we won't know how long natural immunity will last until detailed longitudinal studies are performed. But so far we do know that natural immunity is still holding.

My point is simply folks with natural immunity (active anti bodies for example) should be afforded the same luxuries as those with a vaccine.

If you need a vaccine cert to demonstrate you are good to go to gigs etc, how do you demonstrate you have active antibodies?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

brisan wrote: »
    I have flights booked for Italy (June ) Canaries (July ) and Lisbon (August )
    All rearranged from this year and all dearer than when I originally booked
    Yes it may be down to demand but no one knows

Seeing that i got a flight to USA for 20 euro cheaper than last year i think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Dearer flights are down to demand. I suspect a lot of people are booking for 2021 especially since the news of the vaccines.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I would assume Person A will continue to sanitize, distance and wear a mask etc. But your point is valid - there may be a time where community spread is back at peak levels.

But conversely if we keep restricting we could end up in a situation where herd immunity is never achieved and that is equally worrisome I would imagine?

yeah agreed. My worry is there seems to be a narrative that once a person gets vaccinated they think sure everything will be grand, not realising they are potentially a protected carrier.

AdamD wrote: »
    Quite frankly, at some point the needs of the many are going to outweigh the needs of the very very few.

the few are quite a lot.

polesheep wrote: »
    Much worse than what?

the flu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

odyssey06 wrote: »
    If you need a vaccine cert to demonstrate you are good to go to gigs etc, how do you demonstrate you have active antibodies?

In the USA if you donate blood you get a free antibody test.

In England they are advertising on the radio for recently recovered Covid folks to donate blood so they can create vaccine from their serum (is this safe for folks who cannot take the vaccine I wonder?).

You can test for T-Cell immunity but its probably a lot more expensive than simply getting the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

odyssey06 wrote: »
    That really is in the realms of what if speculation and "advance planning" at present. That will not emerge as a consideration until we see far larger numbers vaccinated. I just can't see it being applied in reality.

In the USA if you donate blood you get a free antibody test.

In England they are advertising on the radio for recently recovered Covid folks to donate blood so they can create vaccine from their serum (is this safe for folks who cannot take the vaccine I wonder?).

You can test for T-Cell immunity but its probably a lot more expensive than simply getting the vaccine.
    To go to a €25 gig? That seems absolutely excessive.

Hmmzis wrote: »
    You are assuming that children below the age of 16 will not be allowed to take the vaccine. That's not entirely correct, the only reason that's the case now is that there isn't enough safety data at the moment for that age group, that part of phase 3 trials is still ongoing for Pfizer/BNT and Moderna just initiated theirs.

Once the safety data comes in there is no reason the at risk children would be denied vaccination.

On that point, that's not a likely scenario in the first place. It has been shown that the current vaccines do prevent infections outright and the asymptomatic carriers are rarely household index cases (below 1% attack rate). Your overall risk reduction in this case is well above 90%.

if safety data can be shown that under 16s can take the vaccine we are in a good place for sure.

all my posts are based on the presumption that you can get the vaccine but still be a carrier.
    I thought this was the case and hasn't been proved otherwise? I stand to be corrected on this.

You should have qualified that statement by saying "at the moment "
    Trials will be (they already may be )on under 16s and then we will know if its safe to give it to this large percentage of the population
    That puts a major dent in your figures

agreed.
    im stating the facts as they are at the moment.
    I dont want restrictions to last forever im just pointing out the flaws.
    sorry if that upsets you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Seeing that i got a flight to USA for 20 euro cheaper than last year i think you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Dearer flights are down to demand. I suspect a lot of people are booking for 2021 especially since the news of the vaccines.

Do you not think I realized this and booked flights last October
    Waiting till feb (330 days out )to book San Diego for Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭plodder

tom1ie wrote: »
    if safety data can be shown that under 16s can take the vaccine we are in a good place for sure.

all my posts are based on the presumption that you can get the vaccine but still be a carrier.
    I thought this was the case and hasn't been proved otherwise? I stand to be corrected on this.
    This was posted on another thread this morning, which suggests a 63% reduction in transmission by the Moderna vaccine. Can't vouch for its veracity though it seems to come from the "Table 1" in that tweet.

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1338993255636070401

• Registered Users Posts: 29,540 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It hasn't been proved yet definitively, though the early data for Moderna vaccine especially suggests it is effective against infection & illness.

Moderna's Covid-19 vaccine is 94 percent effective at preventing illness and appears to protect against infection as well, according to documents released Tuesday morning ahead of a meeting of advisors to the Food and Drug Administration, scheduled for Thursday...
    There were approximately 2/3 fewer swabs that were positive in the vaccine group as compared to the placebo group at the pre-dose 2 timepoint, suggesting that some asymptomatic infections start to be prevented after the first dose.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

the flu

Ok, but I did say 'transmissible diseases', of which there are many.

plodder wrote: »
    This was posted on another thread this morning, which suggests a 63% reduction in transmission by the Moderna vaccine. Can't vouch for its veracity though it seems to come from the "Table 1" in that tweet.

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1338993255636070401

that really is excellent news. Cutting transmission rates is the big one.

polesheep wrote: »
    Ok, but I did say 'transmissible diseases', of which there are many.

true.

is_that_so wrote: »
    To go to a €25 gig? That seems absolutely excessive.

Yea but for gigs, its not going to be a thing.

That's a very definite statement
    Have you a link to back that up
    It's for government to make decisions on public health, not private entities. They would not be allowed to do that.

Do you not think I realized this and booked flights last October
    Waiting till feb (330 days out )to book San Diego for Christmas

Covid aside - long haul flights 12 months out are often more expensive than 3/4 months out, google has a great tool for tracking the price of a given flight...

This thread has gone from the excitement of the vaccines being announced to looking at ways and excuses on how we can keep the restrictions on going post vaccine while berating anyone who’s excited and looking forward to getting their freedoms and normality back.

• Advertisement

RTE reporting vaccine certs will probably be part of the plan. It’s all going to be down to if the vaccine prevents transmission. That could be bad news for the anti vaxxers if it proves to be transmissable.

RTE reporting vaccine certs will probably be part of the plan.
    Part of the plan yes, but he said a lot more than that about them according to the link.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1216/1184711-vaccine-rollout-strategy/

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

RTE reporting vaccine certs will probably be part of the plan.
    It's a part of the plan that there has to be provisions made to slot vaccine certs in at a later date.

I'd put money on them becoming a thing for certain activities such as foreign travel, applying for certain jobs, and access to visit hospitals & nursing homes. For 2021 and maybe even 2022.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Part of the plan yes, but he said a lot more than that about them according to the link.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1216/1184711-vaccine-rollout-strategy/

I edited my post already.

This thread has gone from the excitement of the vaccines being announced to looking at ways and excuses on how we can keep the restrictions on going post vaccine while berating anyone who’s excited and looking forward to getting their freedoms and normality back.

bit dramatic no?
    its worth highlighting the fact that restrictions must coexist with the vaccine rollout for a period of time during and after the vaccine has been administered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Seems to be a large amount of posters on boards love restrictions and being told what they can and cant do.

bit dramatic no?
    its worth highlighting the fact that restrictions must coexist with the vaccine rollout for a period of time during and after the vaccine has been administered.

Not dramatic no, that’s the way the thread is coming across. Yes i’m quite aware we have to be careful while the vaccine is being rolled out. I do my bit and will continue to do so but as long as you’re aware the latter part of 2021 will be a lot different than it is today ;)

Not dramatic no, that’s the way the thread is coming across. Yes i’m quite aware we have to be careful while the vaccine is being rolled out. I do my bit and will continue to do so but as long as you’re aware the latter part of 2021 will be a lot different than it is today ;)

your coming across as its you against me or something?
    I'm pro vaccine.

your coming across as its you against me or something?
    I'm pro vaccine.

I have zero anything against you and my apologies if i come across that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Curious about the exact implementation of the certs if/when they happen.

I've gotten those vaccine cards a couple of times when getting travel vaccinations and the like. God knows where those cards are now, assuming they didn't end up in a bin. Same for my childhood vaccination cards. They also looked like something that could be very easily forged by anti-vaxxers from what I remember.

Here's hoping they have some secure digital system.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement