Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine/antidote and testing procedures Megathread [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I have zero anything against you and my apologies if i come across that way.

sorry I made a mistake picking it up like that!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

oxford be out next few weeks surely they will administer it in the 90 percent success rate dosage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

tom1ie wrote: »
    agreed.
    im stating the facts as they are at the moment.
    I dont want restrictions to last forever im just pointing out the flaws.
    sorry if that upsets you.

Restrictions will last in some form until a sizable proportion of the population is vaccinated ,that is a given
    At that stage the under 16s may be eligible for vaccination
    I want restrictions lifted today, but I realize that's not practical

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's for government to make decisions on public health, not private entities. They would not be allowed to do that.

Are you sure of that
    Like definitely sure of that
    Ticketmaster floated the idea as did Quantas

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

“January and February will be limited, relatively speaking, although we should have enough to get all our nursing home residents hopefully vaccinated, and staff.”

Micheál Martin's comment about the rollout is a bit disappointing, 2 months "hopefully" to get through the first group?

https://www.breakingnews.ie/amp/ireland/key-worker-categories-questioned-in-covid-vaccine-roll-out-plan-1051648.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Stark wrote: »
    Curious about the exact implementation of the certs if/when they happen.

I've gotten those vaccine cards a couple of times when getting travel vaccinations and the like. God knows where those cards are now, assuming they didn't end up in a bin. Same for my childhood vaccination cards. They also looked like something that could be very easily forged by anti-vaxxers from what I remember.

Here's hoping they have some secure digital system.
    They are in the mix for consideration. It doesn't mean we'll necessarily use them. That will really depend on what vaccines do to reduce the prevalence of the virus. They are at least 9 months away anyway.

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Covid aside - long haul flights 12 months out are often more expensive than 3/4 months out, google has a great tool for tracking the price of a given flight...

Having travelled to the states at least once a year for the last 30 years I have used all the trackers there is out there
    I have seen 400 dollar flights on 330 days out going up by 50% on day 329
    Airlines put up computerized generic priced flights on day 330 and then they are modified the day after
    Been like that for years

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Howard Beale

Truly incredible people will be asked for paperwork to just effectively live their life's. Surely, surely by now some folk here must be asking questions as to all of this? All police states start the same way. Prove who you are, show your paperwork, are you allowed in this area where's your star on your arm, are you outside quarantine, where is your vaccine paperwork ad finitum. When does it end? Perhaps when we are all dead or something but this is astonishing to me no one questions this. My missus is a counselor with a masters in psychology and thinks this is all applied psychology to soften us up for tyranny. Softly softly catchy monkey kinda thing.

Reminds me of a old phrase How does liberty and freedom die?
    With rapturous applause.

The end of personal freedom and privacy is the beginning of the police state.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/people-with-vaccine-certificates-to-face-fewer-restrictions-on-life-39869247.html

RTE reporting vaccine certs will probably be part of the plan. It’s all going to be down to if the vaccine prevents transmission. That could be bad news for the anti vaxxers if it proves to be transmissable.

I don't see how it will be bad news for anti vaxxers
    They will have all the information at hand before the rollout and will realize that not getting the vaccine may mean restrictions on their freedoms
    Once they know that in advance I cannot see a problem for them

is_that_so wrote: »
    Part of the plan yes, but he said a lot more than that about them according to the link.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/1216/1184711-vaccine-rollout-strategy/

He did
    He said this

The minister said he had heard that airlines were looking at the potential for people needing vaccinations certificates to fly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Thread merged

Talk about vaccines and associated documentation in this thread, leave out the Godwin nonsense if at all possible
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Stark wrote: »
    Curious about the exact implementation of the certs if/when they happen.

I've gotten those vaccine cards a couple of times when getting travel vaccinations and the like. God knows where those cards are now, assuming they didn't end up in a bin. Same for my childhood vaccination cards. They also looked like something that could be very easily forged by anti-vaxxers from what I remember.

Here's hoping they have some secure digital system.
    I expect it'll be similar to the tax clearance certification process.

When you are certified, you have a unique reference number that you can give to someone else who wants to verify your status. They use an online system to look up that reference number and verify it.

So for example, when you book a flight, there's an additional field that allows you to enter your vaccine certification number. You then get pre-cleared through to landing. If you don't enter your certification number you'll be stopped at immigration and subject to whatever processes that country requires.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Kerry25x wrote: »
    “January and February will be limited, relatively speaking, although we should have enough to get all our nursing home residents hopefully vaccinated, and staff.”

Micheál Martin's comment about the rollout is a bit disappointing, 2 months "hopefully" to get through the first group?

https://www.breakingnews.ie/amp/ireland/key-worker-categories-questioned-in-covid-vaccine-roll-out-plan-1051648.html

That’s less than 50,000 people. I sincerely hope he means that by the end of February the vaccine will be effective (as in 2nd dose administered and immunity kicked in).

Thread merged

Talk about vaccines and associated documentation in this thread, leave out the Godwin nonsense if at all possible
    :rolleyes:

To you it's normal to be asked for paperwork wherever you go?

Also it's hardly nonsense if it is effectively exactly the same as Nazi Germany were people asked for their paperwork there or were they not? Of course they were.

God forbid you ever engage in the facts though eh!:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,285 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

it's hardly nonsense if it is effectively exactly the same as Nazi Germany were people asked for their paperwork there or were they not? Of course they were.

Weasel words. Ireland in 2020 is not "effectively" the same as Germany in 1930s, would ya get out of that :rolleyes:

Now, discuss the topic of the thread, not the mod note, or don't post.

To you it's normal to be asked for paperwork wherever you go?

Also it's hardly nonsense if it is effectively exactly the same as Nazi Germany were people asked for their paperwork there or were they not? Of course they were.

God forbid you ever engage in the facts though eh!:rolleyes:

Once again will leave this here for anyone engaging is such nonsense

536296.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

brisan wrote: »
    I don't see how it will be bad news for anti vaxxers
    They will have all the information at hand before the rollout and will realize that not getting the vaccine may mean restrictions on their freedoms
    Once they know that in advance I cannot see a problem for them

It’s potentially bad news for them especially if the virus is still transmissable post vaccines. It’s very possible that it stops transmission anyway. But if not the government are talking about certs for EU travel and gatherings already so i wouldn’t rule it out. You can also be sure when you get to immigration for the USA at Dublin airport you might find they’ll be looking for proof of vaccination for non citizens.

It’s potentially bad news for them especially if the virus is still transmissable post vaccines. It’s very possible that it stops transmission anyway. But if not the government are talking about certs for EU travel and gatherings already so i wouldn’t rule it out. You can also be sure when you get to immigration for the USA at Dublin airport you might find they’ll be looking for proof for non citizens.

I still do not get how this is bad news for anti vaxxers
    They will know all this in advance
    If their anti vaccination beliefs are that strong and so dear to them surely they will have no problem foregoing a few freedoms so they can hold their beliefs and act accordingly
    If they have an issue with freedoms being restricted then they will have a choice o make
    Their freedoms being restricted or go against their beliefs and get the vaccine

brisan wrote: »
    I still do not get how this is bad news for anti vaxxers
    They will know all this in advance
    If their anti vaccination beliefs are that strong and so dear to them surely they will have no problem foregoing a few freedoms so they can hold their beliefs and act accordingly
    If they have an issue with freedoms being restricted then they will have a choice o make
    Their freedoms being restricted or go against their beliefs and get the vaccine

I can tell you it will be for some. I know multiple people who love travelling and going to concerts and the like and all i hear from them is “ oh i won’t be taking the vaccine” pure childish IMO

However going by the recent info it’s looking more like it might curb transmission so let them stay restricted if it floats their boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think he's saying its bad news for anti-vaxxers, because traditionally they have benefitted from herd immunity and have been able to fly under the radar without being sick or restricted for not being vaccinated.

But if the vaccine doesn't prevent transmission or certs are required, anti-vaxxers will be hit hard with covid infections and will find their freedoms restricted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

People do realise that you currently need proof of vaccinations for some diseases to get into certain countries right?

You'd swear this was a new concept.

Considering the impact covid has had it's ridiculous to suggest that proof of vaccination won't be a thing in the future.

seamus wrote: »
    traditionally they have benefitted from herd immunity and have been able to fly under the radar without being sick or restricted for not being vaccinated.

I must confess i think i have benefited from other people taking the flu vaccine ( i never have taken it) but haven’t caught the flu in 10 years and i deal with a lot of the public. I certainly will take the Covid vaccine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Have actually spoken to a few people (in their 20s) who have said they wouldn't want to be the first to take it etc. would like to see more testing

And a few have changed their mind when its been pointed out that 10s of millions of people will have taken the vaccines before its even offered to them..

Its obviously hard to predict but I'd be surprised if some don't change their mind when they see significant portions of our population take it and not have issues (hopefully)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,589 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

El Sueño wrote: »
    People do realise that you currently need proof of vaccinations for some diseases to get into certain countries right?

You'd swear this was a new concept.

Considering the impact covid has had it's ridiculous to suggest that proof of vaccination won't be a thing in the future.
    Which countries? I've travelled quite a lot and never been asked for proof of a vaccine. Not saying it won't happen but it is a bit of an alien concept

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Apparently 3.8bn people worldwide will take a vaccine. Excluding the 25% under 18 that's about 62%.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

AdamD wrote: »
    Which countries? I've travelled quite a lot and never been asked for proof of a vaccine. Not saying it won't happen but it is a bit of an alien concept

I'm not sure which countries but I believe most are in africa, I know yellow fever is one of the diseases and I think polio also. It might not be that common but it's definitely a thing.

AdamD wrote: »

A few countries in Africa require proof of vaccination for yellow fever to gain entry.

Weasel words. Ireland in 2020 is not "effectively" the same as Germany in 1930s, would ya get out of that :rolleyes:

Now, discuss the topic of the thread, not the mod note, or don't post.

Ignorance is only Bliss for so long young lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

marno21 wrote: »
    That’s less than 50,000 people. I sincerely hope he means that by the end of February the vaccine will be effective (as in 2nd dose administered and immunity kicked in).

I suspect he knows there's huge potential for screw ups and is setting the bar fairly low.
    Maybe its a supply issue though, I mean we can test over 10k per day, no way should it take two months to inject 50k people, twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Russman wrote: »
    I suspect he knows there's huge potential for screw ups and is setting the bar fairly low.
    Maybe its a supply issue though, I mean we can test over 10k per day, no way should it take two months to inject 50k people, twice.

Care homes all have nurses who could be trained to give it to the residents . It should be easy to have care homes covered in weeks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement