Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine/antidote and testing procedures Megathread [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Someone can correct me on this but I thought the EU rollout was going to be proportionally done?

The Taoiseach said today we’re going to have maybe 2 deliveries before year end, each of which are ~5000 doses. That’s about 2000 per million.

France announced today they expect 1.2 million doses by year end, the equivalent of us receiving 90,000 doses.

What’s the craic with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Someone can correct me on this but I thought the EU rollout was going to be proportionally done?

The Taoiseach said today we’re going to have maybe 2 deliveries before year end, each of which are ~5000 doses. That’s about 2000 per million.

France announced today they expect 1.2 million doses by year end, the equivalent of us receiving 90,000 doses.

I think there’s underplaying going on here as per usual. Don’t get our hopes up kind of rhetoric

He must have it wrong but the EU rollout isn't directly proportionate to population, the agreement indicated an allowance to be made based on the risk population of a country, so countries with more older people will get a higher share. Wouldn't explain the difference above though.

That looks like a total of 8 million for the EU initially, not an insignificant amount but I was hoping for more to be honest. Will be disappointed if we haven't offered a first dose to nursing homes and frontline medical staff by end of January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Henryq.

Could I get the vaccine now if I want , I'm a UK citizen?

Would i be better to travel or wait here?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Henryq. wrote: »
    Could I get the vaccine now if I want , I'm a UK citizen?

Would i be better to travel or wait here?

UK are also operating a similar priority queue so probably not going to make much of a difference if you get it there or here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

It’s going to take years at that rate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Dr Scally making the RTE app headline :

“Public health expert Dr Gabriel Scally has said that the Irish and UK governments should ask families to postpone family gatherings this Christmas to the summer solstice in June.

As an incentive for people to keep their distance from families over the coming holiday period, he said told RTÉ's Today with Claire Byrne that two extra bank holidays should be offered in June 2021.

By then, he said, the vaccine rollout will have helped enormously.“

He seems optimistic about the vaccine roll out by the summer at least!

have you a link?

Thats quite a quote from a medic, all the rest are saying it will be winter 2021 before any normality. to say he would endorse 2 bank holidays as early as june 21 is amazingly upbeat or just realistic. I have a feeling it would absolutly kill the tony and co crew to see the like of galway races back on even in 2022 or cheltenham 2022 at full capacity and all the antics that go with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Dickie10 wrote: »
    have you a link?

Thats quite a quote from a medic, all the rest are saying it will be winter 2021 before any normality. to say he would endorse 2 bank holidays as early as june 21 is amazingly upbeat or just realistic. I have a feeling it would absolutly kill the tony and co crew to see the like of galway races back on even in 2022 or cheltenham 2022 at full capacity and all the antics that go with it!

My gut feeling would be the last quarter of 2021. I don’t mind once it’s the end in sight. I see the tanaiste giving sound bites of another 6 months of restrictions, maybe until May.

For some reason i can’t link it on my phone but you’ll find it on the RTE news app.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Germany beginning vaccinations Dec 27th according to AFP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Henryq.

Germany beginning vaccinations Dec 27th according to AFP

As long as they don't invade anyone..

• Advertisement

Dickie10 wrote: »
    have you a link?

I think when other countries go back to normal in the summer it will force the government to override Holohan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Gael23 wrote: »
    I think when other countries go back to normal in the summer it will force the government to override Holohan

To do what? I'm confused. Once we go back to normality, there'll be no need for NPHET anway.

funnydoggy wrote: »
    To do what? I'm confused. Once we go back to normality, there'll be no need for NPHET anway.

Holohan will want to remove restrictions in the slowest way possible but when other countries are doing it much quicker that will put pressure on the government to speed up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Vaccination tracker, similar to worldometer:
    https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

Bookmarked!:)

Henryq. wrote: »
    As long as they don't invade anyone..

Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Vaccine

• Registered Users Posts: 17,908 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Asked this in the main threaad but thought it would be better to check here.

I'm trying to get through to RocDoc, does anyone know for sure if their Express LAMP tests give same-day results at the weekends too, or is it still the next working day? (ie. if I get the test on Saturday, will I get the result on Saturday?)

I've no symptoms or anything and am not a close contact, but my parents were asking me to see about getting a test before I go from Dublin to Limerick to see them on Sunday.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/17/pfizer-vaccine-fda-says-extra-doses-in-vials-can-be-used-potentially-expanding-us-supply

Guardian reporting that in the US, they have found that some of the multidose vials which should contain 5 standard doses, actually contain up to 7 standard doses and the FDA are advising that all viable doses be used

Means up to 40% more doses available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Stheno wrote: »
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/17/pfizer-vaccine-fda-says-extra-doses-in-vials-can-be-used-potentially-expanding-us-supply

Guardian reporting that in the US, they have found that some of the multidose vials which should contain 5 standard doses, actually contain up to 7 standard doses and the FDA are advising that all viable doses be used

Means up to 40% more doses available.

Half doses accidentally administered instead of full doses and now vials that should contain five doses actually contain seven, but this hasn't been rushed. I'm glad I'm well down the list.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

polesheep wrote: »
    Half doses accidentally administered instead of full doses and now vials that should contain five doses actually contain seven, but this hasn't been rushed. I'm glad I'm well down the list.

If you read the article you would have seen that it's not uncommon for there to be extra doses in multidose vials?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

polesheep wrote: »
    Overfilled vials is standard practice. When the dose is being extracted from the vial, the volume is eyeballed by the doctor/nurse on the side of the syringe. It's very accurate, but it's still eyeballed. So a 5ml dose might actually be 5.034ml extracted by the nurse. This is OK, the margin for error has been accounted for in the trials.

If the vial contains exactly 25ml, then the person getting the last dose has a risk of being undermedicated.

So they just make sure vials are filled with at least 25ml. It's then stated to contain five doses, and the practitioner knows to throw it away when five doses are done, regardless of how much is left in the bottle.

In this case the FDA is saying that the practitioner is allowed to attempt to extract extra doses from the bottle. If they get a full 5ml dose, great. If not, they dump the vial (and syringe) and start again.

40% extra doses is very optimistic. Probably be closer to 10-20% in practice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Gael23 wrote: »
    Holohan will want to remove restrictions in the slowest way possible but when other countries are doing it much quicker that will put pressure on the government to speed up

Ah, I gotcha now. Agreed!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Stheno wrote: »
    If you read the article you would have seen that it's not uncommon for there to be extra doses in multidose vials?

Well there's your first incorrect assumption for that sort of person.

It's headlines, hysteria and histrionics, that's their whole M.O

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

From my days in manufacturing I remember it was always difficult to guarantee what the level of fill was for any machine, this led, indirectly, to the introduction of the small "e" symbol on bottles, which indicates the average level of fill on a given day.
    It was common to calculate and budget for excess usage of any product and orders were usually sent to production for anything up to 5% volume over and above the expected fill run, depending on viscosity etc.
    Technology will have improved the process since then but I imagine there will still be allowances made.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Trying to put pressure on member states to get 2ith the programme?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Very interesting.

Looks like the EMA have told the Commission via back channels that it will definitely be approved on the 21st. I imagine we'll see the commission arrange an emergency meeting for the same day with an eye to EU-wide approval that day or the 22nd.

I wonder did Ursula brief the 27 member states about these dates or has Micháel been caught on the hop? This message coming from the EU President directly rather than rumours and leaks within the member states is far better, but it's an interesting departure from the usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Widescreen

Great news! Hopefully the figure of 2,500 will improve quickly as that isn't even a drop in the ocean.

UK are up towards 200,00 at least in no time. I know they are a bigger country, but still, our people need to put the foot down now on this vaccine programme. We can't stick this for much longer, especially as they have put loads of people at unnecessary risk with the Christmas strategy.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Will the HSE jab one person on the 29th and then claim they've met the target after which they can take their time..

I would be concerned as to the level of red tape that the IT system might introduce and hope they're not going to await its completion before pushing ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Deenie78

It would be crazy to wait for the IT system to be ready - start a feckin spreadsheet and get this show on the road!! (I'm half joking)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Deenie78 wrote: »
    It would be crazy to wait for the IT system to be ready - start a feckin spreadsheet and get this show on the road!! (I'm half joking)

They'll have to clear out the Kardex system first.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement