Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine/antidote and testing procedures Megathread [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Tempted to get some of that Taffix stuff though it looks like it might be very expensive? £13.99 for 1000mg and no suggestion that that covers more than one 5hr dose of it.

https://www.taffixprotect.co.uk/product

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Its that they get sent from the production plants on the same day, 26th has been mentioned. After that it takes as long as it takes to get here. Germany & Belgium will for example have them before us well because they're being produced there, would only take an hour or two to reach the countries storage facilities.

From what I've seen the HSE has everything set up for delivery so its just a case of our proportion of initial stock, based on EU criteria being sent from production site.

Once they arrive in country then its up to the country to rollout, this is why I think the EU is saying, they'll ship on 26th and then it'll be 27th, 28th & 29th when you start seeing all the countries starting up the rollout.

EU commission just wants everything co ordinated it appears.
    I'm not referring to when they're sent, more to how many are sent. Based on what the French and Germans are saying, and what the Taoiseach has said, it seems we're being shafted with the first delivery tbh

And just what I was fearing, we're being delivered a small first batch:
    https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1339574254245994510?s=20

That's a bit ridiculous, doesn't say much for EU solidarity.

Minimum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

To be honest I'm not sure what you were expecting, I'd set my expectations fairly low for a first delivery.

Its being sent to countries based on what the EU agreed a long time ago, the more vulnerable you have the more you get. Bigger countries get more on a population basis.

It was always said we'd get an initial small number with more to follow through January and more over the next few months

To be honest I'm not sure what you were expecting, I'd set my expectations fairly low for a first delivery.

Its being sent to countries based on what the EU agreed a long time ago, the more vulnerable you have the more you get. Bigger countries get more on a population basis.

It was always said we'd get an initial small number with more to follow through January and more over the next few months

I don't think anyone thought the initial small allocation would be one case. Still the freezers will be there ready for the other 1,795,000 they can hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I don't think anyone thought the initial small allocation would be one case. Still the freezers will be there ready for the other 1,795,000 they can hold.

How many were people expecting that we'd get in the initial allocation?

I'd expect us to get the same proportion as the rest of the EU. Based on that we're receiving ~8 times less per capita than what France and Germany are receiving.

I'd expect us to get the same proportion as the rest of the EU. Based on that we're receiving ~8 times less per capita than what France and Germany are receiving.

Have you links to what they're receiving?

Just interested to read it and cant seem to find anything on their initial allocations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Apparently every EU country is supposed to get it at the same time but based on what I'm reading either we're not ready or the EU is shafting us with initial deliveries.
    as i said above, on the same day this week as Bavaria completeted construction of 100 mass vaccination centres at trade fair halls and whatnot, Ireland announced that they plan 5 and of that they have made a telephone call chat to 3 of those locations in preliminary discussions about using college facilities

again, who is ready, Germany or NPHET ???

It seems all NPHET can organise quickly are lockdowns

I also can't understand what "intense" negotiations are required with Pfizer. The deal was done, it was meant to be shared proportionally between EU states as the EU allocation was produced, shouldn't be any need for any EU country to do any further negotiating.

Have you links to what they're receiving?

Just interested to read it and cant seem to find anything on their initial allocations.
    Posted about it on here yesterday:

"The Taoiseach said today (yesterday) we’re going to have maybe 2 deliveries before year end, each of which are ~5000 doses. That’s about 10,000 doses give or take.

France announced today (yesterday) they expect 1.2 million doses by year end, the equivalent of us receiving 90,000 doses."

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1339285811947311106?s=20

leahyl wrote: »
    How many were people expecting that we'd get in the initial allocation?

Approx 1% of what the total EU doses that were available, as ACE is pointing out it looks like we are getting about 0.1%

• Registered Users Posts: 14,457 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Seems to be a lot of speculation.

We know Ireland is going to get its 1.1% slice of the Pfizer vaccine but how and when remains a question. It seems supply will be an issue and optics wont be great if Germany or France are getting more doses per person than us.

In fairness, it is the same with other countries who have deals with Pfizer. Even though the signed deals for x Million doses some countries won't be getting it for another few months, such as the contract they signed.
    The UK and the Americans seem to be first in the queue, along with the EU.

On Moderna, the Americans have 6 million doses ready to go from next week, assuming approval over the next 24-48 hours. That is a lot of vaccines!
    Understandable though as they financed that project and want the bulk of the first few months batches being manufactured.
    By the end of January, they are going to have a fairly sizeable proportion of their most vulnerable groups vaccinated, which should see an easing of deaths come Feb onwards...

The race is truly on!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

Russman wrote: »
    I suspect he knows there's huge potential for screw ups and is setting the bar fairly low.
    Maybe its a supply issue though, I mean we can test over 10k per day, no way should it take two months to inject 50k people, twice.

To be fair to the HSE they normally set themselves exceptionally low targets and consistently fail to reach them
    Maybe this is the same

Approx 1% of what the total EU doses that were available, as ACE is pointing out it looks like we are getting about 0.1%
    Yeah we're getting about 8-9 times less per capita than somewhere like France is getting per delivery. I hope it's not true but with the numbers we have so far it appears so.

This is from an Irish Times article 2 days ago:

"Ireland is due to receive several thousand doses of the vaccine initially as part of its 1.11 per cent share of supplies negotiated by the EU on behalf of member states. But because the vaccine is shipped in consignments of 975 vials, each containing five doses, our initial supply will be almost 5,000 doses.

Authorities say they will need to hold back half of those in order to administer the second dose three weeks later. This means 2,500 people could be in the first cohort of those getting the jab before the new year."

It seems the 1.1% is the total allocation not the initial allocation - I kind of thought it was going to be this way anyway, we were never told that we'd have massive amounts of people vaccinated either before Christmas or shortly after. I'm sure the rollout will will ramp up pretty quickly into January.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I expect the justifications will all come out in the wash. Someone else mentioned earlier that the allocations will be proportionate to the number of at-risk individuals in each country rather than raw population figures.

There might also be a calculation factored in to account for number of cases per 100k in a given country; the hardest-hit ones get more at the start ?

"Ireland is due to receive several thousand doses of the vaccine initially as part of its 1.11 per cent share of supplies negotiated by the EU on behalf of member states. But because the vaccine is shipped in consignments of 975 vials, each containing five doses, our initial supply will be almost 5,000 doses.

Authorities say they will need to hold back half of those in order to administer the second dose three weeks later. This means 2,500 people could be in the first cohort of those getting the jab before the new year."

It seems the 1.1% is the total allocation not the initial allocation - I kind of thought it was going to be this way anyway, we were never told that we'd have massive amounts of people vaccinated either before Christmas or shortly after. I'm sure the rollout will will ramp up pretty quickly into January.

Exactly but based on the figure France is expecting, the total amount ready for the EU is 8 million. So we should get 80,000.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    I expect the justifications will all come out in the wash. Someone else mentioned earlier that the allocations will be proportionate to the number of at-risk individuals in each country rather than raw population figures.

I mentioned it earlier, but based on our median age compared with the rest of the EU, this would only drop our initial allocation from 1.1% to just over 1%. Not 0.1%.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,457 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

The timescales seem very conservative though. Talk of getting all nursing home residents and health care professionals done by March?
    I would have thought we could get them done by January, but I don't know, seems kinda slow to me.

The US are thinking they are going to have 20 Million people vaccinated by the end of this year! Circa 8% of their population before we even get to 2021. January will be a huge month for them.

I guess when the numbers start rolling out when can compare like with like but I can definitely see this becoming a political football in the new year.

markodaly wrote: »
    The timescales seem very conservative though. Talk of getting all nursing home residents and health care professionals done by March?
    I would have thought we could get them done by January, but I don't know, seems kinda slow to me.

The US are thinking they are going to have 20 Million people vaccinated by the end of this year! Circa 8% of their population before we even get to 2021. January will be a huge month for them.

I guess when the numbers start rolling out when can compare like with like but I can definitely see this becoming a political football in the new year.

I know, it would make you wonder alright....I'll tell you one thing though, I just don't even want to think of us being in the same situation come June :( They'd better ramp it up fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I hope by "done by" they mean second dose administered and given two weeks to take effect? In that case, targeting March for first groups would make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,587 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Would have thought the shipments would be coming quick enough go deem holding back the second 5k for second doses to be inefficient

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

So possibly two vaccines in January! EU has a deal for an initial 80m doses, with an option for up to a further 80m.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I'd be curious about some insight into the EMA's operations. How much is it studying the data by relevant trained staff vs bureaucracy. The fact they've moved a few dates suggests there's a bit of leeway somewhere (admittedly against intense political pressure).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,587 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

AdamD wrote: »
    Would have thought the shipments would be coming quick enough go deem holding back the second 5k for second doses to be inefficient

https://twitter.com/newschambers/status/1339587692665819142?s=19

This appears to be the case, good to see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

is_that_so wrote: »
    So possibly two vaccines in January! EU has a deal for an initial 80m doses, with an option for up to a further 80m.

I think people are being too demanding about the speed of rollout. This is all happening at a speed that was heretofore thought impossible and is an extraordinary achievement.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement