Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine/antidote and testing procedures Megathread [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Gael23 wrote: »
    Are they suggesting 6 to 9 months for at risk groups or the entire population?

I think the consensus is by next autumn anyone who wants a vaccine will be able to get one. Make of that what you will :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

One of the "Serious adverse events" reported in the vaccine group on the Moderna trial was a 72 year old struck by lightning who later developed arrhythmia.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

hmmm wrote: »
    One of the "Serious adverse events" reported in the vaccine group on the Moderna trial was a 72 year old struck by lightning who later developed arrhythmia.
    I laughed, I really shouldn't have

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

So what you're saying is that the vaccine turns you into a human lightening rod? :eek:

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

iguana wrote: »
    So what you're saying is that the vaccine turns you into a human lightening rod? :eek:

;)

RTE headline...

Moderna approved according to Trump on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

If they are not keeping 2500 back then they must be expecting more quite quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

;)

You owe me a cup of coffee (I think the keyboard is fine though).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Just watching Pence getting vaccinated live. One of the questions he was asked along with allergies etc was he on blood thinners. Any reason for that? Both my parents are on thinners due to ticker issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Can't fault them for being very detailed with the adverse data event anyway but that's a whole new level.

Also oddly funny when it really shouldn't be

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Just watching Pence getting vaccinated live. One of the questions he was asked along with allergies etc was he on blood thinners. Any reason for that? Both my parents are on thinners due to ticker issues.

Injection sites can be troublesome for people on blood thinners.

There can be excessive bruising at the site.

Some injections advice that people on blood thinners put pressure on the injection site after the injection to reduce the risk of bruising.

If they mess up the injection and theres bleeding it can take longer to stop blood flow.

It's a general injection thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Some injections advice that people on blood thinners put pressure on the injection site after the injection to reduce the risk of bruising.

If they mess up the injection and theres bleeding it can take longer to stop blood flow.

I've been on blood thinners for years and, as a diabetic I'm no stranger to needles, I've had the flu vaccine every year since it came out and I've never been asked that question.

Martin stating during a press conference after North South ministerial Council that he expects AstraZeneca/Oxford to be approved by EMA in January.

Also on vaccines says that he thinks the vaccination programme will be of such a scale over the summer months to be of assistance to the travel industry.

Does appear to be suggestions lately that they expected to be open for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Martin stating during a press conference after North South ministerial Council that he expects AstraZeneca/Oxford to be approved by EMA in January.

Also on vaccines says that he thinks the vaccination programme will be of such a scale over the summer months to be of assistance to the travel industry.

Does appear to be suggestions lately that they expected to be open for the summer.

Great to hear

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Nurses to start training on vaccine administration from next week.
    The Irish Nurses and Midwives Organisation has said that nurses are to begin training next week for administering the Covid-19 vaccine and said it is vital the health and wellbeing of healthcare workers is protected at this time.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1218/1185242-ireland-vaccine/

Just spotted this tweet from an NHS doc when looking for something related to AstraZeneca & Oxford.

Turns out he was in the trial, got the standard 2 dose not the half and full. Anyway he found this out on Tuesday that he did indeed get the vaccine and not placebo.

During the trial he got covid a few months after getting the vaccine, had a positive swab, as did his family. You can see from the tweets below he says the rest of his family were bed bound, for him he felt like he had a head cold for a day.

Interesting to see someone's experience who's been in the trial, thats perfectly acceptable as a vaccine for me.

https://twitter.com/DaveJGunn/status/1338814685777436674?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

Just spotted this tweet from an NHS doc when looking for something related to AstraZeneca & Oxford.

Turns out he was in the trial, got the standard 2 dose not the half and full. Anyway he found this out on Tuesday that he did indeed get the vaccine and not placebo.

During the trial he got covid a few months after getting the vaccine, had a positive swab, as did his family. You can see from the tweets below he says the rest of his family were bed bound, for him he felt like he had a head cold for a day.

Interesting to see someone's experience who's been in the trial, thats perfectly acceptable as a vaccine for me.

https://twitter.com/DaveJGunn/status/1338814685777436674?s=19

Wonder did he pass it to the wife or the wife to him ?

Russman wrote: »
    Wonder did he pass it to the wife or the wife to him ?

Unsure tbh would be interesting to know. Given his work wouldn't be surprised if it was him to her. Could be either way though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Would you mind posting how much of Pfizer, moderna and Oxford the Eu have advance orders for please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Stheno wrote: »
    Would you mind posting how much of Pfizer, moderna and Oxford the Eu have advance orders for please?

Page 8 of this doc outlines the volumes of vaccine earmarked for Ireland, so I guess if we are 1% of the total then multiply by 100. Maybe not perfect but should be close enough.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Thanks i was looking for the Irish allocations

Isn't the Oxford one being manufactured in both the UK and India in huge quantities?

Hearing three may be approved in January has really lifted my spirits

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That's the microchips. They make you electrically charged.

Isn't the Oxford one being manufactured in both the UK and India in huge quantities?

Current allocations from EU purchases

AstraZeneca - 3,300,000
    Sanofi/GSK - 3,300,000
    Janssen Pharmaceutical (J&J) - 2,200,000
    Curevac - 2,475,000
    Moderna - 880,000
    BioNTech/Pfizer - 2,200,000

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Current allocations from EU purchases

AstraZeneca - 3,300,000
    Sanofi/GSK - 3,300,000
    Janssen Pharmaceutical (J&J) - 2,200,000
    Curevac - 2,475,000
    Moderna - 880,000
    BioNTech/Pfizer - 2,200,000
    Novavax - 2,200,000*

*Looks like we're in talks with Novavax as well:

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_20_2305

Btw. Moderna's and Pfizer/BNT's allocations can increase if the future options are utilized (extra 880,000 from Moderna and extra 1,100,000 from Pfizer/BNT).

Hmmzis wrote: »
    *Looks like we're in talks with Novavax as well:

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_20_2305

Oh yeah forgot about that announcement yesterday.

I think if im not mistaken their phase 3 trial in the UK is fully enrolled and should have some idea in Q1 how things are looking

Also being manufactured in Netherland, Germany and Italy I think. UK's manufacturing capacity is 80m doses next year, the Serum Institute is about 1 billion for the year. Not sure about the other manufacturing sites but it really is the one (used along with the more efficacious Pfizer and Moderna vaccines) that could bring all this back to near normality by the Summer. Once J & J is available in March or thereabouts things could already be looking much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

If it’s an intramuscular injection this should not be a huge problem. I’m on weekly IM injections and only on a rare occasion do I get any significant bleeding

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Just got my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine - I'm in healthcare in the North - and no serious side-effects in the first 15 minutes!

• Advertisement

Just got my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine - I'm in healthcare in the North - and no serious side-effects in the first 15 minutes!
    Congrats!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement