Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine/antidote and testing procedures Megathread [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options
1319320321322323325»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Just got my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine - I'm in healthcare in the North - and no serious side-effects in the first 15 minutes!

Congrats! How are they rolling it out to healthcare staff there? Is it NHS hospital staff first? Covid wards and ED prioritised? My sister is a community nurse in UK and hasn't heard anything yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Does anyone know if an antigen test for COVID is the same as a PCR test? You need a PCR test to be able to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Does anyone know if an antigen test for COVID is the same as a PCR test? You need a PCR test to be able to travel.

Pcr only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Just spotted this tweet from an NHS doc when looking for something related to AstraZeneca & Oxford.

Turns out he was in the trial, got the standard 2 dose not the half and full. Anyway he found this out on Tuesday that he did indeed get the vaccine and not placebo.

During the trial he got covid a few months after getting the vaccine, had a positive swab, as did his family. You can see from the tweets below he says the rest of his family were bed bound, for him he felt like he had a head cold for a day.

Interesting to see someone's experience who's been in the trial, thats perfectly acceptable as a vaccine for me.

https://twitter.com/DaveJGunn/status/1338814685777436674?s=19

I'm sorry, but that's no more scientific than saying that vaccines give you autism. If twelve hours of head cold symptoms is the worst any vaccinated person feels when they contract Covid, then that is great news. But this one person's experience does not prove that. It really is like the polar opposite of anti-vaxx.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Just got my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine - I'm in healthcare in the North - and no serious side-effects in the first 15 minutes!

Bill Gates will have you doing strange things shortly!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

nommm wrote: »
    Pcr only

Sorry but what does that mean? I don’t clearly see how that answers my question.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I'm so happy for you and indeed for the North. There was never a proper grip on things up there and hopefully this will be a massive help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Very good - well done. Keep us posted on how you are and on any vaccination numbers you become aware of up there. And thanks for all you and your colleagues do for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Vaccinating the placebo group helps long term study - what's the point in conducting long term study on a group of folks without the vaccine! (Having a placebo group initially serves a different purpose).

Not vaccinating a placebo group allows you to pick up long term problems with a drug. You can compare those given the drug with those who haven't been given thr drug

Vaccinate the placebo group and you've eradicated the standard against which you measure the impact of the drug, long term.

How very convenient!

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭cgc5483

Sorry but what does that mean? I don’t clearly see how that answers my question.

An antigen test is not a PCR test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

How very convenient!
    Not if you're in the placebo group. People who volunteered for these trials are frankly heroes, and deserve to be amongst the first groups to be vaccinated now if they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Thats great. No side effects in the first few minutes. Let's know how you get on in 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Not vaccinating a placebo group allows you to pick up long term problems with a drug. You can compare those given the drug with those who haven't been given thr drug

Vaccinate the placebo group and you've eradicated the standard against which you measure the impact of the drug, long term.

How very convenient!

The placebo v vaccinated is primarily for efficacy testing. Long term testing your just looking for a statistical abnormalities with folks who are vaccinateed (and we already know what the "norms" are).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement