Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine/antidote and testing procedures Megathread [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭xvril

I see Russia are registering a vaccine tomorrow (Wednesday), they talk as if its good to go

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

So what people are saying is that when a person is "cooking" the virus in the early days and they don't have symptoms, and a test is taken it will be negative? Is that right? If so, I didn't know that!!

Oranage2 There's no quarantine, the government says you should 'restrict movement'. So don't work or visit old people, but you can exercise outside etc

Surely a person has to quarantine?? So if someone was in my house having just come from Germany, should they not stay in their bedroom for 14 days? That's going to be pretty tough to do .... and stay away from the rest of us in the house?
    Restricted movement
    You are requested to restrict your movements for 14 days if you arrive into Ireland from another location that is not on the COVID-19 Green List.

This includes:

Irish citizens coming home
    people with no symptoms
    people who have tested negative for the virus in another location
    The request to restrict your movement means:

do not use public transport if possible. If you have no option but to use public transport, you must wear a face covering. The wearing of a face covering is required by law when using public transport, unless you have a diagnosed medical reason
    do not visit others
    do not meet face-to-face with anyone who is at higher risk from COVID-19
    do not go to the shop unless absolutely necessary. If you have no option but to go to the shop, you must wear a face covering. The wearing of a face covering is required by law when using public transport (unless you have a reason as listed here)
    While you are requested to restrict your movements for 14 days if you arrive into Ireland from another location that is not on the COVID-19 Green List, you do not need to remain in the country for 14 days.

However - you should follow this public health advice for the time that you will be in Ireland.

That's what is recommended for incoming passengers. A polite restrict your movement but no one is actually going to police it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

xvril wrote: »
    I see Russia are registering a vaccine tomorrow (Wednesday), they talk as if its good to go

Good luck to them but it sounds like they carried out no phase 3 trials to determine long term efficacy or safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The EU deal with Astrazeneka looks set to be distributed in proportion based on each countries population should it be a success. We make up about 1% of the population of the EU so does that then mean we get a quota of around 1%?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Northern lassie

Tropical medical Bureau do them for €160 https://www.tmb.ie/coronavirus-self-test-kits

Germany will be on the green list next week anyway

Why do you think Germany will be on the Green List next week??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

Gael23 wrote: »
    The EU deal with Astrazeneka looks set to be distributed in proportion based on each countries population should it be a success. We make up about 1% of the population of the EU so does that then mean we get a quota of around 1%?

If that is the case they’ve 300m ordered and the population of the EU is 447m. Our population is 5m. 1/1.2 million doses is what I think we’ll get. That’ll vaccinate the healthcare workers, elderly at least
    Also at the stage we do get it we might have already 10% of the population that possibly had the virus and our testing would have crossed well over a million tests. We’re testing over 20k a week now and when we go mass testing residential settings, healthcare and meat factories it’ll bump up past 40k a week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Santy2015 wrote: »
    If that is the case they’ve 300m ordered and the population of the EU is 447m. Our population is 5m. 1/1.2 million doses is what I think we’ll get. That’ll vaccinate the healthcare workers, elderly at least
    Also at the stage we do get it we might have already 10% of the population that possibly had the virus and our testing would have crossed well over a million tests. We’re testing over 20k a week now and when we go mass testing residential settings, healthcare and meat factories it’ll bump up past 40k a week

What about those of us who have immune comprised conditions??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

sunbabe08 wrote: »

That would be in the first batch as well I’d imagine. Hard to put a figure on that one we’ve 673,000 over 65’s and over 100,000 HCW.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

136 days until Christmas!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

A lot of people suggest that countries with a lower case per 100k in the last fortnight should be on our green list.

That's a fair suggestion until you realise that an outbreak with higher case numbers shoves our case per 100k numbers up in a big way.

It means if we get riskier we should increase our green list. I dont think this will happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

chill Bill

FB-IMG-1596441112989.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

xvril wrote: »

That's emergency authorization for very specific populations, like HCWs, very high risk individuals, etc. There is a link to an interview with the lead developer of their vaccine in this same thread and he explains there what this authorization actually means.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

SinoVac (China) have published their phase II results:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.07.31.20161216v1.full.pdf+html

Looks like it's among the easiest to take when it comes to adverse events, nothing more than what one would expect from a flu shot. Even better tolerated if the schedule is 0-28 days instead of 0-14 days.
    The nAB titers look OK, nothing outlandish, but should do the job I think. Quite comparable to the single dose ChAdOx1 levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

sunbabe08 wrote: »

I have an autoimmune condition also. Hoping to get the vaccine as soon as I can. So we’re looking early next year all going to plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Russia has developed 'first' coronavirus vaccine: Putin
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0811/1158503-coronavirus-vaccine/

omg please give it to everyone who wants it so they will stfu and we can all move on!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Diabhalta wrote: »
    Russia has developed 'first' coronavirus vaccine: Putin
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0811/1158503-coronavirus-vaccine/

omg please give it to everyone who wants it so they will stfu and we can all move on!!!

I'm booking my flight now are you in? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Hate to be a cynic but even if we get a vaccine in the next three months, from whatever source, I have absolutely zero confidence in Government / HSE / Local Administration to get their act together and get it out to whomever needs it.
    Undoubtedly there have some outstanding performances from individuals since the onset of Covid but on looking back, the performance of the body of the administration has been, at best, inept, at worst, criminal.
    Just today I hear that DCC plan to remove free onstreet parking to nurses at Temple St hospital, what sort of short term thinking is this? It's not so long ago that these officials were down on their knees appealing to such people to come back and enrol as nurses, doctors, physios etc. for the good of the country, but it seems eaten bread is soon forgotten.
    Apologies for the political rant but when I heard that news this morning I just blew a fuse. This sort of thinking is endemic in the Civil and Public service and in the political institution in general. Always the bottom line. What hope can we have of a successful outcome to this crisis with people like these calling the shots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭YellowBucket

Getting the vaccine out shouldn’t be that complicated tbh and they’ll effectively be using the flu vaccine as a trial run for logistics, as I assume uptake this year will be very high

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Because their current 14 day incidence is below ours

• Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

20 countries have ordered 1 billion doses of the vaccine according to Putin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

20 countries have ordered 1 billion doses of the vaccine according to Putin.

Hopefully, it works. Even if we don't use this one, reducing the covid 19 reservoir outside the EU still helps us in the long run.

I think I’ll wait for the properly tested vaccine that’s been through a known and transparent regulatory process.

Bear in mind Russia managed to produce ventilators that burnt down hospital wards and killed several patients and the investigations have concluded that there’s nothing wrong with them...

A politically driven rushed job and suppliers you know nothing about are two things you don’t want with something that’s injectable.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Diabhalta wrote: »

Mod: Quit spamming threads with memes and no substance - this is not the only thread you're doing so in. Next one will earn a mod action.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,324 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I think I’ll wait for the properly tested vaccine that’s been through a known and transparent regulatory process.
    Bear in mind Russia managed to produce ventilators that burnt down hospitals.

Russia are intent on going through the usual phase III. If anything, the larger sample size of inoculation they are about to undertake will mean that this vaccine will be the safest one to take if it stacks up!

Still wouldn’t touch it unless it’s been through EMA protocols.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Surely saying they have a vaccine and actually selling it before it even goes through Phase 3 is completely reckless? I get the urgency, but bypassing proper testing is only asking for trouble i would assume?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

I'm no anti-vaxxer, and will definitely take the Oxford vaccine if it gets through the testing and approval process. But there's no way I'd take some two-bit rush job vaccine from Russia. Not for at least 12 months after a wide number of people had taken it with no side effects. I'd prefer to continue with lockdown thanks. I think most people living in western countries would feel the same.

We’ve already preemptively bought vaccines from several suppliers but they’ll go through trials. The EU, US and other smaller countries like the U.K. and Australia and so on have all bought doses of vaccines from various producers to secure supplies but also to fund development.

Some of the vaccines we’ve bought may not ultimately be delivered if they fail trials but they’ve been purchased as there’s been no option but to take a spread bet on a number of alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Well the Russian vaccine will have been well tested and results known by the time the Russian population has been finished with the vaccinations.

They are basically the trial.
    If it’s proven then the rest of the world will be begging for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I'd imagine the Russian vaccine must have some bit of substance? I mean surely the country that successfully sent the first man into space have some semblance of scientific pedigree.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement