Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COVID-19: Vaccine/antidote and testing procedures Megathread [Mod Warning - Post #1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

That's unfortunate, there had been some hope that getting a common cold coronavirus might provide protection against Covid.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.08.14.20173393v1

"It is currently unknown whether acquired immunity to common alpha- and beta-coronaviruses provides cross-protection against SARS-CoV-2. In this study, we found that certain patient sera and intravenous immunoglobulins (IVIG) collected prior to the COVID-19 outbreak were cross-reactive to SARS-CoV-2 full-length Spike, S2 domain, and nucleoprotein. However, their presence did not translate into neutralizing activity against SARS-CoV-2 in vitro. Importantly, we detected serum IgG reactivity to common coronaviruses in the early sera of patients with severe COVID-19 before the appearance of anti-SARS-CoV-2 antibodies. Collectively, the results of our study indicate that pre-existing immunity to common coronaviruses does not confer cross-protection against SARS-CoV-2 in vivo."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭Marhay70

hmmm wrote: »
    That's unfortunate, there had been some hope that getting a common cold coronavirus might provide protection against Covid.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.08.14.20173393v1

"It is currently unknown whether acquired immunity to common alpha- and beta-coronaviruses provides cross-protection against SARS-CoV-2. In this study, we found that certain patient sera and intravenous immunoglobulins (IVIG) collected prior to the COVID-19 outbreak were cross-reactive to SARS-CoV-2 full-length Spike, S2 domain, and nucleoprotein. However, their presence did not translate into neutralizing activity against SARS-CoV-2 in vitro. Importantly, we detected serum IgG reactivity to common coronaviruses in the early sera of patients with severe COVID-19 before the appearance of anti-SARS-CoV-2 antibodies. Collectively, the results of our study indicate that pre-existing immunity to common coronaviruses does not confer cross-protection against SARS-CoV-2 in vivo."

Disappointing all right but it was a long shot really.
    Have any findings emerged on the study into the BCG vaccine, it seems to have gone quiet on that front lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Does that have imo,i actions for the Oxford vaccine which uses adenovirus?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Gael23 wrote: »
    Does that have imo,i actions for the Oxford vaccine which uses adenovirus?

No relation to vaccines whatsoever. The croass reactive T cell data was very intriguing and it was (and still is) not clear what they were doing in relation to disease severity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Is there any data coming though on the oxford phase 3 trials?

• Advertisement

Good news Monday
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/16/health/coronavirus-immunity-antibodies.html

"Scientists who have been monitoring immune responses to the virus are now starting to see encouraging signs of strong, lasting immunity, even in people who developed only mild symptoms of Covid-19, a flurry of new studies suggests. Disease-fighting antibodies, as well as immune cells called B cells and T cells that are capable of recognizing the virus, appear to persist months after infections have resolved — an encouraging echo of the body’s enduring response to other viruses."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Good news Monday
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/16/health/coronavirus-immunity-antibodies.html

"Scientists who have been monitoring immune responses to the virus are now starting to see encouraging signs of strong, lasting immunity, even in people who developed only mild symptoms of Covid-19, a flurry of new studies suggests. Disease-fighting antibodies, as well as immune cells called B cells and T cells that are capable of recognizing the virus, appear to persist months after infections have resolved — an encouraging echo of the body’s enduring response to other viruses."

Should I get an antibody test so?

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

It's not testing or vaccine related, but I'll post this here anyway as this has become the main science thread.

A recent meta-analysis (link) of covid-19 infection fatality rates from multiple countries gives these figures:

Age group|IFR (%)
    0 to 34|0.01
    35 to 44|0.04
    45 to 54|0.2
    55 to 64|0.7
    65 to 74|2.4
    75 to 84|8.9
    85+|36.8

They agree with the age-stratified IFR values calculated from a large serosurvey in England (link) referred to earlier in this thread:

Age group|IFR (%)
    15 to 44|0.03
    45 to 64|0.5
    65 to 74|3.1
    75+|11.6

This serostudy excluded care home residents from the 75+ age group, but figures in the supplementary point to an IFR of 60% in care home residents over 75 in England.

"What the immune response to COVID-19 says about the prospects for a vaccine."

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02400-7

Explains the basics in a easy enough language. Highly recommended read, it's how it should be communicated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

darjeeling wrote: »
    It's not testing or vaccine related, but I'll post this here anyway as this has become the main science thread.

A recent meta-analysis (link) of covid-19 infection fatality rates from multiple countries gives these figures:

Age group|IFR (%)
    0 to 34|0.01
    35 to 44|0.04
    45 to 54|0.2
    55 to 64|0.7
    65 to 74|2.4
    75 to 84|8.9
    85+|36.8

They agree with the age-stratified IFR values calculated from a large serosurvey in England (link) referred to earlier in this thread:

Age group|IFR (%)
    15 to 44|0.03
    45 to 64|0.5
    65 to 74|3.1
    75+|11.6

This serostudy excluded care home residents from the 75+ age group, but figures in the supplementary point to an IFR of 60% in care home residents over 75 in England.

So at 32 I have a better chance at being struck by lightning this year than dieing with Covid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Thierry12 wrote: »
    So at 32 I have a better chance at being struck by lightning this year than dieing with Covid?

Yes, especially with that tinfoil hat you wear

darjeeling wrote: »

Age group|IFR (%)
    0 to 34|0.01
    35 to 44|0.04
    45 to 54|0.2
    55 to 64|0.7
    65 to 74|2.4
    75 to 84|8.9
    85+|36.8

Age group|IFR (%)
    15 to 44|0.03
    45 to 64|0.5
    65 to 74|3.1
    75+|11.6

Is that the reason why we have very low deaths as the recent reported cases are in younger people now?

gabeeg wrote: »
    Yes, especially with that tinfoil hat you wear
    Rekt.

stevek93 wrote: »
    Is that the reason why we have very low deaths as the recent reported cases are in younger people now?
    Plus our contact tracing is picking up asymptomatic people who we would never know have had it.

I don't think case numbers are particularly useful as they are so dependent on testing and contact tracing. Much more informative is hospitalisations in the first case, and then unfortunately ICU and death numbers later.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

I'm looking online for information regarding getting a covid test done outside of the HSE for a friend who has travelled to Ireland recently and needs to leave before the 14 day quarantine period is up. The person has no symptoms so a GP won't refer them for a test.
    Does anyone know if this exists?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Flappidyflap

Why do they need a test to leave before 14 days? Just leave.. you don't have to stay 14days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Yes, a number of locations are offering testing services, but with the caveat as stated below:

http://harringtonmedical.ie/blog/2020/07/06/covid-tests-now-available/

"PCR test for persons who wish to show they do not have COVID – for example travelling to countries who require it, entry to a private medical institution or occupational purposes. NOT suitable for persons returning from holiday who are advised to restrict their movements for 2 weeks on return."
    "Antibody tests for persons who wish to see have they been exposed to the virus and have now generated antibodies."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

JustMe,K wrote: »
    I'm looking online for information regarding getting a covid test done outside of the HSE for a friend who has travelled to Ireland recently and needs to leave before the 14 day quarantine period is up. The person has no symptoms so a GP won't refer them for a test.

Could you contact a private hospital? They are doing it for a (nice) fee.

Remember it can take a number of days for the Covid test to show up positive.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 28,171 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

JustMe,K wrote: »

All you have to say is you have a cough and you'll be sent for a test. Doctor won't even let you in the door, Criteria is way too lax for testing 0 due diligence going on.

• Advertisement

Novavax starting their phase 2b trial in South Africa. By the sounds of it it's akin more to a phase 3 trial.

https://ir.novavax.com/news-releases/news-release-details/novavax-initiates-efficacy-trial-covid-19-vaccine-south-africa

They'll be including 240 HIV positive volunteers as well. Overall they plan to have 2665 volunteers for the trial. It's placebo controlled, so only half will get the real doses.

As for treatments, this one has been known since late March, but it's the first clinical trial I've seen on it:

https://www.researchsquare.com/article/rs-56281/v1

This is even doable at home, if you do get the misfortune of contracting Covid-19 or any other lung infection that makes breathing difficult, it's the one safe thing you can try to do yourself. Just turn on your belly and see if it helps (it should).

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

A lot of talk starting to go around about a possible vaccine being made mandatory once it becomes available. Personally, I do not want any rushed vaccine and don't really see why that is such a problem for other people. Everyone who wants it can get it and everyone who doesn't feel the need to get it should not be required to get it. I'm not one of these 5g Bill Gates conspiracy nuts, I just look at the information on the virus and believe I would not be in any danger should I contract it.

I'm sure this has been discussed on here before but I just wanna gauge public opinion on the matter

Too obvious Paddy.

Too obvious Paddy.

Blindingly

paddythere wrote: »
    Blindingly
    "I'm a big vaccine supporter myself, I think if a vaccine has been tested for several decades it is something I would consider giving to my kids, once I'm sure it is safe and once I can be assured it is vegan. This rushed Covid vaccine based on unproven technology is a worry to me however. I understand also it has not been tested on French people, and because I wear a beret this gives me cause to hesitate."

"I'm a big vaccine supporter myself, I think if a vaccine has been tested for several decades it is something I would consider giving to my kids, once I'm sure it is safe and once I can be assured it is vegan. This rushed Covid vaccine based on unproven technology is a worry to me however. I understand also it has not been tested on French people, and because I wear a beret this gives me cause to hesitate."

What's this nonsense?

paddythere wrote: »
    A lot of talk starting to go around about a possible vaccine being made mandatory once it becomes available. Personally, I do not want any rushed vaccine and don't really see why that is such a problem for other people. Everyone who wants it can get it and everyone who doesn't feel the need to get it should not be required to get it. I'm not one of these 5g Bill Gates conspiracy nuts, I just look at the information on the virus and believe I would not be in any danger should I contract it.

I'm sure this has been discussed on here before but I just wanna gauge public opinion on the matter

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-tracking-every-global-effort-to-find-a-covid-19-vaccine-12030675

I think it should be compulsory especially in Austrailia.

They have the benefit of open society last 3 months (except Melbourne).

Life is always a trade off. As someone once said there is no such thing as a free lunch. For having normal society in austrailia while the rest of the world is in a mess, the trade off is citizens have to take vaccine as their population will be highly susceptible when they eventually open up again.

We do to in reality given that most people are not immune to getting it and passing it on.

• Advertisement

There already is a vaccine thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement