Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement of floorboards

Options
  • 17-03-2020 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Afternoon All,

would appreciate some views on this one: I want to replace the floorboards on the first floor of my townhouse.

When it was built I think they just used the cheapest stuff they could find, including spare/off cuts from other work, and the floors are uneven and creaky (..starting to get on my nerves)

Landing, 2 bedrooms and box-room.. but I have no idea what to budget for that kind of job.

Thing is that we'll need to rip out the carpet currently in place.. so prolly will look to have laminate installed directly after that... just wondering if I'd not be biting off more than I can chew, cost wise, with that cunning plan.. :)

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

€25/30 per sq meter to remove and replace the floor with good 18 mm plywood, if the joists need a lot of work to be leveled, it could be more, it will need to be level for laminate.
    If your current flooring was screwed down properly it would stop it squeaking, and you could refit the carpet

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Zoom42

Thanks a lot for that answer, screwing the floor down was not even on my radar, great suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Skirting, architrave and doors are going to need work too. Save the doors, replace the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Zoom42

good point, i did not even consider those.. will have to update my estimate, thx a lot!

Advertisement