Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs when/will they re-open - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Are the people inside coughing?

I walk past my local pretty much every day and not want to go in.

For some reason, I’d give me left bollock for a pint in there at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

If you see a pub doing this ring the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I'd love a social pint. But this isnt the time. This is the time for common sense and putting the people and vulnerable of our society first.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I'd love a social pint. But this isnt the time. This is the time for common sense and putting the people and vulnerable of our society first.
    Same here sometimes I think I'd murder a cold 1 but the guilt would ruin it for me I couldn't enjoy it properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Be honest, let's imagine you were walking home from work today, and as you approached the corner whereupon one of your favourite locals exists, you saw the door half ajar, and you heard the clinking of glasses, a little movement through the frosted panes... Would you?

I think this is harder for stout drinkers. Few things nicer than observing the tiny bubbles on a creamy head of a full pint of porter, waiting for you on the altar, high stool in place, maybe an open fire, and a bit of a chat with the barman about goings on, or a read of the paper.

So be honest, would you snake inside for a glass, or carry on on your way?

Would I?

Absolutely. I would 100% call the cops and not hesitate to tell them what selfish and irresponsible greedy fu(kers the lot of them are.

But thankfully this is imagination and as far as I know, people are starting to wise up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Live_In_UK

Lad I know seemed to be on a mini-session yesterday posted a few pics of porter into a group chat, "Wfhangover" :/ Moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

people are literally willing to kill their own grannies and grannies everywhere for a pint

The state of us

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Be honest, let's imagine you were walking home from work today, and as you approached the corner whereupon one of your favourite locals exists, you saw the door half ajar, and you heard the clinking of glasses, a little movement through the frosted panes... Would you?

I think this is harder for stout drinkers. Few things nicer than observing the tiny bubbles on a creamy head of a full pint of porter, waiting for you on the altar, high stool in place, maybe an open fire, and a bit of a chat with the barman about goings on, or a read of the paper.

Straight in, " throw us one on there bossman to phuck" and say nothing. If they run you just reply " oh, sorry I thought you were open". 95 times out of 100 they are pulling one and thank god for that.

I would take a seat in the corner and spark up a big dirty cigarette, just like old times. Any guff from the barman would be met with a disbelieving stare followed by " just keep pouring and keep it stum pal" no messing around. If they are beating the ban they are letting me have a smoke, for starters.

Most pubs will be well able to tolerate 20-30 customers under social distance guidelines. Letting people smoke would stop the spread of germs. Turn the hot water on also and plenty of soap.

I would nail about 4 pints an hour until I fall over and have to be carried out, or they can let me sleep it off in the corner like any normal pub should.

Everyone knows it is virtually impossible to catch a cold if you are pissed. The alcohol will kill all the germs.

People who don't drink are squares and shouldn't go drinking in pubs, they are the same idiots that killed the industry when the smoking ban started. Pubs have never been the same since. The irony of it. The sooner they legislate for proper smokers pubs the better. No one will drink anywhere else. All we have currently is a ridiculous scenario where about 5 non smokers sit in a pub which seats about 100 people while the other 50 people spend their time in an open shed out the back, what a joke.

• Advertisement

I'd do big fat lines on the table too - pubs got sh!t when all the wannabes started taking drugs and coke became far more accessible- have to Q for ages for the jacks ffs

kenmm wrote: »
    I'd do big fat lines on the table too - pubs got sh!t when all the wannabes started taking drugs and coke became far more accessible- have to Q for ages for the jacks ffs

I have to agree. This business of people hanging around toilets to do their banger has just become uncivilised and uncouth. Really bad for spreading germs also, toilets are cesspits. The boozer should be providing small table mirrors for mashing also. Getting coke all over a wooden table will ruin it.

I am all about transparency really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

Same here sometimes I think I'd murder a cold 1 but the guilt would ruin it for me I couldn't enjoy it properly.
    you would be grand once you got the second one into you....the guild would quickly fade..

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

My sister is on the front lines as a clinical pharmacist in a hospital.
    My father is 86 with two underlying conditions.
    My mother is 80 with one.
    My partner is 68 with two.
    I'm 50 with one.

Enjoy your pint. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Cans and bottles just dont have the quality of the pint in the pub

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Call the stout police, there should be no bubbles in the head of a proper pint of stout!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I reckon 2-3 months, but even then I think numbers will be strictly controlled for another 2-3 months after that, how enforceable that is given the scenes in temple bar I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Feb 2021.

When a vaccine is available to the masses.

It the ban is not lifted by mid May I can envisage the opening of Shebeens and Speakeasys. I cannot wait.

It will be great looking over your shoulder before entering the back door of a colourful establishment. Only the most discerning pisshead need apply. Fetching a warm bar stool and sucking on cold dark scoops of porter, pint after pint after pint.

Schmoking like a trooper sitting up on the counter chatting up queer ones and playing draw poker for shrapnel, jacks are better to open for 20 cents. Jokers wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭bladespin

people are literally willing to kill their own grannies and grannies everywhere for a pint

The state of us

That you can have anyway, I can understand the social aspect, grand for me now, mid forties with a lovely family around me but I can remember what it was like to be young and single, on my own away from home as it were, I feel for them not worth the risk imo but there is a price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    It the ban is not lifted by mid May I can envisage the opening of Shebeens and Speakeasys. I cannot wait.

It will be great looking over your shoulder before entering the back door of a colourful establishment. Only the most discerning pisshead need apply. Fetching a warm bar stool and sucking on cold dark scoops of porter, pint after pint after pint.

Schmoking like a trooper sitting up on the counter chatting up queer ones and playing draw poker for shrapnel, jacks are better to open for 20 cents. Jokers wild.
    Gerourradat! 45 all the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

DeVore wrote: »
    My sister is on the front lines as a clinical pharmacist in a hospital.
    My father is 86 with two underlying conditions.
    My mother is 80 with one.
    My partner is 68 with two.
    I'm 50 with one.

Enjoy your pint. :(

A few lads sitting 2 metres apart will do no harm.

easypazz wrote: »
    A few lads sitting 2 metres apart will do no harm.

Exactly. I mean its completely against all known public health advice, but I am sure you are probably right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

IAMAMORON wrote: »

And please god there'll be some ponys on the telly bud

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Who cares? The amount of importance and reverence attached to these places is ludicrous. And I say this as someone who attends and enjoys them, not some pious teetotaler.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

dd973 wrote: »
    Who cares? The amount of importance and reverence attached to these places is ludicrous. And I say this as someone who attends and enjoys them, not some pious teetotaler.

Clearly, lots of people.

While most people respect the need for these measures, to stay indoors etc, it certainly hits some harder than others.

Those who enjoy a drink a bit more than others, and the very extroverted among us are finding this particularly hard, and the prospect, accurate or not of pubs being closed for another 2+ months is quite depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭StefanFal

Where's the option for already open? I know of at least one pub in my area that's having a lock in today.

Plenty of that activity going on all over my town. Seen a few lads tapping on the doors this morning.

Andrew00 wrote: »
    And please god there'll be some ponys on the telly bud

Still racing in Asia, Singapore, The States, Brazil and Hong Kong. Also India.

No speakeasy or Shebeen will be complete without an unscrupulous hard nosed underground bookie opening up his own book in the corner. If he is not poorly shaven and wearing an Italian leather jacket ( jet Brown ) he is not getting a penny. He needs to look like Paulie Gaultieri and speak like he is from the south Wicklow mountains. He should be seasoned drinker on roughly 10 - 15 pints a day and also be an advanced grumbler, coughs a lot.

When a favourite wins he will shout " poxbottle" into his sleeve and look under the table for 5 minutes. Put the fear of god into you. Smokes Sweet Afton or Players and chases gin or vodka, straight down. Decent sort, might buy you a pint or two if you develop seconditis, he is good like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭landofthetree

dd973 wrote: »

You can let your pub go to ruin and not have decorated it since the 1950s and the public will love it.

Do the same with a restaurant and nobody would go near it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

You can let your pub go to ruin and not have decorated it since the 1950s and the public will love it.

Do the same with a restaurant and nobody would go near it.
    If you do up an old man pub, make it nice and modern looking most of your clientele will walk.

Advertisement