Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs when/will they re-open - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

You can let your pub go to ruin and not have decorated it since the 1950s and the public will love it.

Do the same with a restaurant and nobody would go near it.
    If you do up an old man pub, make it nice and modern looking most of your clientele will walk.

Very true.

I think the lesson to be learned here is that your average foodie should keep their noses and taste buds out of your average pub. They are only confusing themselves. It takes a certain type of Herman to prefer sitting around a glass table in a restaurant pretending to be important while tossing overpriced shight around their plates. Foodie types need to stay in the restaurant where they belong. They should not be interfering with drinking types, their introduction to the boozer has been detrimental.

These animals would spend 50 or 100 euro on an overpriced plate of pasta. Disgusting behaviour really. Squandering booze money on a nice shirt or trendy pair of jeans. Humming "mmmmm" to themselves and smiling to each other over the table and asking each other what their food tastes like. They should mind their own business.

I have often arrived for a few pints after cooking my own dinner. I don't stand in the middle of the pub boasting about what I have just eaten, how rude and uncouth is that? Some drinkers might be starving. Foodies are simply inconsiderate when it comes to respecting drinkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭messin doorman

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Very true.

Humming "mmmmm" to themselves and smiling to each other over the table and asking each other what their food tastes like. They should mind their own business.

Not to mention taking photos of their grub and sending that on to their "trendy" friends

Also, really great use of the word uncouth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

IAMAMORON should become the new PubSpy.

Not to mention taking photos of their grub and sending that on to their "trendy" friends

Never made any sense to me either. It is uncivil and the actions of a conceited passive aggressive bore. Their pals could be hungry or working hard. Who really needs to see a picture of a Greek salad, who is benefitting here?

If I want to communicate with a friend I give them a text or ask them for a pint. I don't send them a picture of a Baked Alaska with rare strawberry trimming infused with a gooseberry margarita paste with side portion of caramelised pecan and walnut fried oil parcels. I just wouldn't do my friends like that.

Inconsiderate show offs the lot of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Very true.

I think the lesson to be learned here is that your average foodie should keep their noses and taste buds out of your average pub. They are only confusing themselves. It takes a certain type of Herman to prefer sitting around a glass table in a restaurant pretending to be important while tossing overpriced shight around their plates. Foodie types need to stay in the restaurant where they belong. They should not be interfering with drinking types, their introduction to the boozer has been detrimental.

These animals would spend 50 or 100 euro on an overpriced plate of pasta. Disgusting behaviour really. Squandering booze money on a nice shirt or trendy pair of jeans. Humming "mmmmm" to themselves and smiling to each other over the table and asking each other what their food tastes like. They should mind their own business.

I have often arrived for a few pints after cooking my own dinner. I don't stand in the middle of the pub boasting about what I have just eaten, how rude and uncouth is that? Some drinkers might be starving. Foodies are simply inconsiderate when it comes to respecting drinkers.

Food is an inconvenience to a serious drinker something that's needs to be done ballast if you will

Never made any sense to me either. It is uncivil and the actions of a conceited passive aggressive bore. Their pals could be hungry or working hard. Who really needs to see a picture of a Greek salad, who is benefitting here?

If I want to communicate with a friend I give them a text or ask them for a pint. I don't send them a picture of a Baked Alaska with rare strawberry trimming infused with a gooseberry margarita paste with side portion of caramelised pecan and walnut fried oil parcels. I just wouldn't do my friends like that.

Inconsiderate show offs the lot of them.

Right. Exactly - pubs are the last great democracy. Text - pint - yes or no.

This silly carryon is an offshot of one of our current problems - everyone who is not an agnostic, feminist with designer stubble and tight jeans is not normal.

Food is an inconvenience to a serious drinker something that's needs to be done ballast if you will

Eating is cheating. It wastes valuable drinking time.

Have a decent feed before midday and then cut loose. Treat yourself.

Never spoil that 7 pint feeling by eating, you will end up getting the hiccups and making a holy show of yourself. No one needs that.

Right. Exactly - pubs are the last great democracy. Text - pint - yes or no.

This silly carryon is an offshot of one of our current problems - everyone who is not an agnostic, feminist with designer stubble and tight jeans is not normal.

Feminists are fine and should be tolerable but you should completely avoid tea totalling types. The only feminists you should be drinking with are deranged alcoholic ones... these are the only feminists that make any genuine sense. The rest of them are in the posh restaurant up the road, they think they are cultured that way, that is how they do.

Tight Jeans are the most ironic clothes item on the planet, especially if worn by a bloke. What type of nonce actually thinks they are being cool by wearing jeans with less material on them than a proper straight or boot cut? Idiots. The only people who should be allowed wear tight jeans are fit birds.

Proper drinkers know that religion should never be discussed in a pub. You can say your prayers at mass or before you hit the sack on your knees at night. Leave it there. The only excuse for saying prayers in a pub is during a penalty shoot out .. or if you run out of money and are begging for a few scoops.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Eating is cheating. It wastes valuable drinking time.

Have a decent feed before midday and then cut loose. Treat yourself.

Never spoil that 7 pint feeling by eating, you will end up getting the hiccups and making a holy show of yourself. No one needs that.

A bowl of soup is as far as I will go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Only if it's a freebie of the leftovers from the lunch menu in the lounge

A bowl of soup is as far as I will go

Allowed , but I hope you are not one of these animals that tries to scoop the last bit out with your spoon?

Lift that bowl up with both hands and slurp it down like a good man. Scrape the rest off with a piece of bread. It is rude not to burp either. I got an awfull bollocking in Italy for not burping after my calzone. They didn't appreciate it one bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

XsApollo wrote: »
    Mid to late summer I’d say.

I think this but I also thing that once restrictions are relaxed there will be a resurgence of Covid 19 and they will be forced to close again fairly quickly.

Until we get a Vaccination, this thing is not going anywhere. I'd be expecting disruption well into next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

IAMAMORON wrote:
    Lift that bowl up with both hands and slurp it down like a good man. Scrape the rest off with a piece of bread. It is rude not to burp either. I got an awfull bollocking in Italy for not burping after my calzone. They didn't appreciate it one bit.

I would scrape it off with my finger but only after I'm back from the jacks after not washing my hands.

I would scrape it off with my finger but only after I'm back from the jacks after not washing my hands.

Thanks for sharing. Keep well.

I’d like to give you all the benefit of my experience when I tell you that the level of conversation is ever so slightly lower than normal on this particular thread.

I’d like to give you all the benefit of my experience when I tell you that the level of conversation is ever so slightly lower than normal on this particular thread.

This is only thread where any sense is being spoken.

You sound like a foodie.

I dare you to start a thread called

" restaurant closures , how are you coping guys ?"

Guaranteed snoozefest.

This is only thread where any sense is being spoken.

You sound like a foodie.

I dare you to start a thread called

" restaurant closures , how are you coping guys ?"

Guaranteed snoozefest.

I’m no foodie. I prefer to refer to myself as (in the words of a clockwork orange) a “sophistocrat”

I’m no foodie. I prefer to refer to myself as (in the words of a clockwork orange) a “sophistocrat”

You spelled sociopath wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

• Advertisement

You spelled sociopath wrong.

I do like to skull a rake of pints though now and again following by a good lively trad session. I mean jumping on top of a table and playing a bodhrán an all. Hup.

I like trying to ride birds when the music gets flowing.

Get them off their arses and onto the dance floor. You couldn't stop me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

Crisps and peanuts and maybe bacon fries are the only culinary delights that should be available in a pub😂

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Feel trad music gets repetitive fairly quick but the Americans love it and must think every pub in the country is as lively as Hollywood makes them out to be

pimpmyhat wrote: »
    Crisps and peanuts and maybe bacon fries are the only culinary delights that should be available in a pub��

A toastie.

I can see you letting rip with a bit of Pavrotti after a gallon or two?

Singing is a great thing to clear the head spins. Keeps you focussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

I can see you letting rip with a bit of Pavrotti after a gallon or two?

Singing is a great thing to clear the head spins. Keeps you focussed.

Nothing like a blast of nessun dorma to rejuvenate the soul

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Feel trad music gets repetitive fairly quick but the Americans love it and must think every pub in the country is as lively as Hollywood makes them out to be

I prefer a bit of Eurythmics myself. Trad gets cheesy after 10 minutes. Too many crooney types.

Why are they always winking at each other? What is that about? What's the big secret anyways?

Give me a duke box and some Huey Lewis any day. Tears for Fears even. No Nirvana though, like is tough enough. Your only allowed play grunge on a Saturday night. I said so.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I prefer a bit of Eurythmics myself. Trad gets cheesy after 10 minutes. Too many crooney types.

Why are they always winking at each other? What is that about? What's the big secret anyways?

Give me a duke box and some Huey Lewis any day. Tears for Fears even. No Nirvana though, like is tough enough. Your only allowed play grunge on a Saturday night. I said so.

Partial to a bit of 80s/party music. I do like live pub bands too but feel some play too much of the same stuff nowadays

Planning to have a few cans Saturday night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

is anyone else dying for a pint reading this thread?

Advertisement