Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs when/will they re-open - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭messin doorman

finbarrk wrote: »
    I thought Hotel bars could serve residents if they wanted to.

Ah the jays; I’d love a tall frosty pint of yellow now followed by a trad/opera fusion session.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

By 4.30 on a Friday afternoon I can simply think of nothing else than nailing about 9 pints before 7.30.

A terrible beauty is born.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    By 4.30 on a Friday afternoon I can simply think of nothing else than nailing about 9 pints before 7.30.

Am consoling myself with nice food and nice wine after a trip to the shops.

Will be executed with cold efficiency.

There is an extension here tomorrow night. It is going to kick off online style.

The Covid Inn is the only place to be, this place is going to be hopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

bingo loko doing an online quiz tomorrow, should be a good laugh. Few cans you be flying

https://www.facebook.com/bingolocoie/?__tn__=kC-R&eid=ARDBMkH7rGGXReCD9mlsjUq3xPMidhTpiuNjfUBddVbr_QiMMesjlgpCndJ5SbmjFVyKJwx_AxMTS_Ex&hc_ref=ARRr1D962aTImAzYASKnDL6hEM912-jDgE5CwSLW6uwmhUFAqC1OpeBqwf9yQ-MhGhM&fref=nf&__xts__[0]=68.ARA_3WWsG6c9VLnZIgfClBkNOtuwQJdsLvjjv5HvRsqu6A3UTBVprvQnVeLK2sBdOCgxwNjjOrT_BWRKwvapFkl4EKHZujFGAYAb8-VM-hkAYxiHKB1A70xSnU2f5zf5HGV4xC-bF4hOnG3As9tH0SKUpAMnvTSEx0kv1CSsWt09q2tXa0eUWif8kRCYOCRnAVvnwxIl2l2_b4k5x1lQyX_5eamNLtxeWQ8IDJd3kw2dPPSIKoAGBADCW-Ywm8MKIPCVRjUUEizE_Xn_mq2Az49uh-4FAPYLDM-Y1TMYzmRcqyIu-yX_QOdmU62Vs6MmpO0ozPbbQXxGEqLHZwbik4Y

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭messin doorman

8 by 8, as I used to say

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Any trouble in the boards pub tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Lots of talk about pubs at the moment with some sources saying there has been talk that pubs won't reopen until their is a viable vaccine (https://www.dublinlive.ie/whats-on/food-drink-news/coronavirus-ireland-pubs-could-remain-18114956). It could potentially mean pubs not opening til summer 2021 or maybe sometime before that.

What I don't get is if restaurants, hotels, and schools will be able to reopen at some point before pubs, would it not mean that 'bigger' pubs that can practice social distancing be able to reopen? A friend of mine worked in a pub and mentioned that the manager was drawing up plans for SD and seeing if they can reopen in a few months... interesting. Can this be done, and if it can, when do you think it would be wise to open?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

never_mind wrote: »
    Lots of talk about pubs at the moment with some sources saying there has been talk that pubs won't reopen until their is a viable vaccine (https://www.dublinlive.ie/whats-on/food-drink-news/coronavirus-ireland-pubs-could-remain-18114956). It could potentially mean pubs not opening til summer 2021 or maybe sometime before that.

What I don't get is if restaurants, hotels, and schools will be able to reopen at some point before pubs, would it not mean that 'bigger' pubs that can practice social distancing be able to reopen? A friend of mine worked in a pub and mentioned that the manager was drawing up plans for SD and seeing if they can reopen in a few months... interesting. Can this be done, and if it can, when do you think it would be wise to open?

How will it work for toilets, you would have to brush past even touching up against some to get by as these wouldn't be spaced out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

How will it work for toilets, you would have to brush past even touching up against some to get by as these wouldn't be spaced out.

Less customers though.

• Advertisement

Same could be said for schools and restaurants... Unless they close urinals in the gents and having a line system for the cubicles!

I am not expecting pubs to open for months (I would randomly guess September 2020) but security would have to play a key role in separating people and operating table service to avoid lines at the bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

This article by Publin this morning was interesting to read and made some points I didn't think of like would pubs be able to survive if they were to operate on reduced capacity.

Yeah that's what I was wondering too, could some of these pubs not hypothetically operate like restaurants where you have to book a table in advance and rely on table service once inside or something? I know for many pubs it would be a complete change but as a temporary solution maybe it could work in some.

Maybe you could just use the cubicles instead of using the urinals or only have some of them in operation. Plenty of people brushing past one another in supermarkets currently but doesn't seem to be causing widespread infection.

This article by Publin this morning was interesting to read and made some points I didn't think of like would pubs be able to survive if they were to operate on reduced capacity.

Yeah that's what I was wondering too, could some of these pubs not hypothetically operate like restaurants where you have to book a table in advance and rely on table service once inside or something? I know for many pubs it would be a complete change but as a temporary solution maybe it could work in some.

Exactly. They could operate like European wine bars. It's sad that smaller pubs might not be able to get going but if they serve food and closed earlier or staggered patrons through reservations it could work. Rather than having an open doors policy, a pub, depending on its size, could have 50% of its seating filled and then 'close doors' until the next slot. You could, in theory, have people go from one reservation to another on a little pub crawl.

I know this is not a priority but pubs are a massive part of our culture, a huge part of our economy, and a very central part to most communities.

easypazz wrote: »
    Less customers though.

How can you tell?

Some will be mad to get down and I've been in many where toilets are tiny and all halls to them etc....

What I would like to know will these pubs be deep cleaned and especially the toilets as most ive seen are absolutely filthy and mould covered....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

How can you tell?

Some will be mad to get down and I've been in many where toilets are tiny and all halls to them etc....

What I would like to know will these pubs be deep cleaned and especially the toilets as most ive seen are absolutely filthy and mould covered....

Yeah. Stags Head a case in point. Operates over 3 floors and always served great food - easy to do social distancing.

But the toilets are Victorian and the building is listed - no quick rebuild there unless you use the portaloo option. The logistics are more than just "fling open the door".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭showpony1

you'd think no sports on would kill the business of most smaller pubs day time crowds anyway.
    The ones with beer gardens would be jammed when the sun comes out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

I think Simon Harris is taking too strong a position against the pubs by suggesting they may not re-open until there's a vaccine available.

Vaccine's can take a long time before they're shelf ready and even at that I'm not mad about rushed vaccine's.

I think once other businesses are allowed to re-open, pubs should also be allowed to re-open but obviously they should be required to take precautions and be penalised if they fail to do so.

Now I'm by no means an expert on these things but could the following work:

1. Ensure there's a limited number of people in the pub at any one time

2. Ensure social distancing in the pub (granted for smaller pubs this would be difficult)

3. Provide plenty of hand sanitizers

4. No holding of events such as parties or live music

5. Remove anybody who refuses to observe social distancing (these are usually the type of in your face clientele the pubs could do without anyway!)

The day they re-open pubs will be worse than Paddy's day or Christmas. Get a grip. It will be a week of Saturday's, social distancing my hole.

I can see the signs around the bar, like a swimming pool, " no petting please "

F6977.0e5604f912273ef185ac02e47b9a1bbb.pngmain

Pubs will turn into mass orgies overnight. Barmen will be too busy pulling pints to have the time to be shouting at patrons in the corner " Hey, 2 metres please" or " hey, no kissing over there, go outside if you're going to be shifting each other".

Can you imagine asking 100 or more pissed up Irish persons to practice social distancing? Pleeeeeeeaaaaaaaazzzzzzzzze.

I think Simon Harris is taking too strong a position against the pubs by suggesting they may not re-open until there's a vaccine available.

Vaccine's can take a long time before they're shelf ready and even at that I'm not mad about rushed vaccine's.

I think once other businesses are allowed to re-open, pubs should also be allowed to re-open but obviously they should be required to take precautions and be penalised if they fail to do so.

Now I'm by no means an expert on these things but could the following work:

1. Ensure there's a limited number of people in the pub at any one time

2. Ensure social distancing in the pub (granted for smaller pubs this would be difficult)

3. Provide plenty of hand sanitizers

4. No holding of events such as parties or live music

5. Remove anybody who refuses to observe social distancing (these are usually the type of in your face clientele the pubs could do without anyway!)

How do you protect staff and especially bouncers/security as these may need to go hands on.....

Honestly they won't be able to do it for another while imo.

How can you keep people apart and then when drink/drugs are taken these folk won't listen.... Worse then dealiywith kids come to mind....

How can you tell?

If they want to stay open then they would have to deep clean... I think the standards that are set for kitchen restaurants will have to apply to toilets and to the general pub itself.

And he means less customers = less toilet usage which could mean that you could close urinals completely and have a line system in place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

The day they re-open pubs will be worse than Paddy's day or Christmas. Get a grip. It will be a week of Saturday's, social distancing my hole.

I can see the signs around the bar, like a swimming pool, " no petting please "

F6977.0e5604f912273ef185ac02e47b9a1bbb.pngmain

Pubs will turn into mass orgies overnight. Barmen will be too busy pulling pints to have the time to be shouting at patrons in the corner " Hey, 2 metres please" or " hey, no kissing over there, go outside if you're going to be shifting each other".

Can you imagine asking 100 or more pissed up Irish persons to practice social distancing? Pleeeeeeeaaaaaaaazzzzzzzzze.

No shooting the other customers. No Class A's in the bog. No riding the touists. Feckin' list goes on.

How do you protect staff and especially bouncers/security as these may need to go hands on.....

Honestly they won't be able to do it for another while imo.

How can you keep people apart and then when drink/drugs are taken these folk won't listen.... Worse then dealiywith kids come to mind....

Protect staff same way they do in shops, wear masks & gloves, put up screens etc

Again, I'm not claiming to be an expert on these things but publicans like any other business owners deserve to be given a chance once they can control their premises and take all necessary precautions.

If there's any trouble at all then, pull down the shutters until the government gives the green light across the board.

Again, give them a chance, not a free pass.

Protect staff same way they do in shops, wear masks & gloves, put up screens etc

Again, I'm not claiming to be an expert on these things but publicans like any other business owners deserve to be given a chance once they can control their premises and take all necessary precautions.

If there's any trouble at all then, pull down the shutters until the government gives the green light across the board.

Again, give them a chance, not a free pass.

Publicans were caught off the hop as were schools and universities. All were closed down as 'non-essential' without much notice or time to see if they could change their culture. It will get to a point that the changes will have to be made or the country will suffer the consequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Id say if they dont open by June you'll start to hear about unlicensed shebeens happening throughout the country, id say they are happening even now but there will be a marked increase guaranteed, in addition to illegal raves.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Id say if they dont open by June you'll start to hear about unlicensed shebeens happening throughout the country, id say they are happening even now but there will be a marked increase guaranteed, in addition to illegal raves.

What ever happens, pubs will not be opening by June

yeah get absolutely charlie sheened :D ohhh how id love a cold pint now sitting in a beer garden ;)

Vinnie222 wrote: »
    What ever happens, pubs will not be opening by June

well i guarantee you there will be shebeens everywhere

Safest option would be to have a few beers at home with friends and social distance such as in the garden and kitchen for example.

The problem with schools is the kids pick up anything and are super spreaders and this won't just change in a few weeks....

Kids will end up passing on the disease and more will die.

We need to eradicate this disease and then stop people movement such as planes and boats until things change....

Publicans were caught off the hop as were schools and universities. All were closed down as 'non-essential' without much notice or time to see if they could change their culture. It will get to a point that the changes will have to be made or the country will suffer the consequences.

Well this is it, at some point we will be able to return to normal but what do we do until such time.

Staying in a state of indefinite lockdown is simply not sustainable and we should give businesses the chance to re-open as soon as possible rather than 'waiting for a magic vaccine'.

The last month has already changed people's attitudes towards social distancing, I haven't seen any of my friends in that time and when I do I'll stay 2m away. I don't see why this can't continue to be the case if businsses put appropriate measures in place and ensure people observe them as best they can.

• Advertisement

Well this is it, at some point we will be able to return to normal but what do we do until such time.

Staying in a state of indefinite lockdown is simply not sustainable and we should give businesses the chance to re-open as soon as possible rather than 'waiting for a magic vaccine'.

The last month has already changed people's attitudes towards social distancing, I haven't seen any of my friends in that time and when I do I'll stay 2m away. I don't see why this can't continue to be the case if businsses put appropriate measures in place and ensure people observe them as best they can.

This.

We have to all culturally change (the public themselves and pubs/shops) and I think this lockdown was so mentally awful for a lot of us that we have already learned a few things about what we should and should not do.

Advertisement