Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs when/will they re-open - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

The Nal wrote: »
    Not a great business model. 80% empty premises with people nursing drinks.

Most pubs won't be able to operate unless they're busy so its all or nothing for a lot of them.

They'll have to become innovative when it comes to identifying other revenue streams for short to medium term I guess, sink or swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

Temperature taken outside, temperature taken every time you order a drink and go to the toilet.....

Ffs Who's going to pay for all this ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I can see them opening up again after the June bank holiday weekend. At some point or other the emergency legislation will run through its' time period and shoulders will be shrugged. The vintners are lobbying and while handouts are appreciated they really need to be getting custom at this point. Their profits for 2020 are hammered as it is.

The PR game for lockdown reversal is upon us already. When I am looking to estimate something I usually find the answer somewhere between Murphy's law and fecklessness. At some point or other pubs will start shebeening ( my word I said it first ) and give it a few weeks after that. A lot will depend on how much rope they let out in May. Once beds start getting freed up I think we could be looking at further release of restriction on a piecemeal basis.

For economic reasons alone I cannot see them closing until a vaccine. Not going to happen. That must make the Armageddonist's seethe with frustration, but sooner or later the government will be turning its' back on them. Life has to go on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Haha now come on, it is possible to hear someone from 2m away you know.

The canteen in my workplace is still operating, it's one person per table, each table 2m apart and amazingly we can still talk to each other.

When no booze is involved.

See how that works when people have a feed of booze in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,306 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I can see them opening up again after the June bank holiday weekend. At some point or other the emergency legislation will run through its' time period and shoulders will be shrugged. The vintners are lobbying and while handouts are appreciated they really need to be getting custom at this point. Their profits for 2020 are hammered as it is.

The PR game for lockdown reversal is upon us already. When I am looking to estimate something I usually find the answer somewhere between Murphy's law and fecklessness. At some point or other pubs will start shebeening ( my word I said it first ) and give it a few weeks after that. A lot will depend on how much rope they let out in May. Once beds start getting freed up I think we could be looking at further release of restriction on a piecemeal basis.

For economic reasons alone I cannot see them closing until a vaccine. Not going to happen. That must make the Armageddonist's seethe with frustration, but sooner or later the government will be turning its' back on them. Life has to go on.

The great thing about pubs is that they are brilliant shelter to avoid those types. Pubs aren't their scene.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

I'm much more hopeful of Anti-Viral treatment being discovered well before a vaccine.

As am I. Vaccines would have to be more complicated to develop than finding a suitable on-market drug...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

When no booze is involved.

See how that works when people have a feed of booze in them.

Some people get messy with drink on them, no question about that but not all people do. Again I don't believe in banning everybody just because a few don't know how to behave themselves.

You seem to be judging pubs and people by the pre-virus standards, I'm not saying we should go back to packed pubs until it's safe to do so, I don't think anybody here is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

While I hope you're right - I would be absolutely shocked if I'm able to sit in a pub at any time this summer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

While I hope you're right - I would be absolutely shocked if I'm able to sit in a pub at any time this summer

I think we'll see a few rogue pubs open around the place. People are running out of patience already and we've still 2 weeks to go of this phase of the lockdown.

When the inevitable extension/slight easing of restrictions happens at the start of May it could tip people over the edge of giving a ****. All holidays cancelled, the economy collapsing with everyone broke and stuck in the house isn't going to work unfortunately.

Time for some out of the box thinking.

I think we'll see a few rogue pubs open around the place. People are running out of patience already and we've still 2 weeks to go of this phase of the lockdown.

When the inevitable extension/slight easing of restrictions happens at the start of May it could tip people over the edge of giving a ****. All holidays cancelled, the economy collapsing with everyone broke and stuck in the house isn't going to work unfortunately.

Time for some out of the box thinking.

Who is running out of patience?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Pretty much everyone I know.

JCX BXC wrote: »

FFS this whole running out of patience nonsense sounds really childish.

It's sh*t not being able to go to the pub with my mates but it's something that I'll get over for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

People need to meet and occasionally reproduce. Office romances are off the cards due to potential misunderstandings or genuine sexual harassment charges. I expect Tinder / Hinge....other hook-up sites to be history by Christmas (good riddance). How would you propose two strangers meet ?
    Good question. Spin classes maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Today was the first day the vintners association came out into national media after the comments made yesterday and it's quite clear that the stance to government is going to be bail us out or you'll lose 2 billion in the exchequer returns as the hospitality sector cant stay closed until theres a vaccine.

As soon as the trend in other European countries becomes clear there will be pressure from all walks of society to do the same here, be it hospitality, retail whatever

Likewise everyone was fine with it at the start and still is until the first week of may. Everyone accepted opening anything that was closed before May bank holiday just wasn't going to happen.

But when 5th May rolls around it'll be 7 weeks of restrictions, realistically 8 as most shops and services wont be in a position to open to another week or more once told they can open.

So I think 8 weeks of being told you cant see family and your more or less confined to being at home is probably the limit most societies can accept.

Just look at Paris, riots last night, berlin protests over the weekend. Now nothing like that would happen here it's just to show the tide is turning opinion wise

Likewise in my social group and work group everyone was fine with it at the start and still is until the first week of may. Everyone accepted opening anything that was closed before May bank holiday just wasn't going to happen.

But when 5th May rolls around it'll be 7 weeks of restrictions, realistically 8 as most shops and services wont be in a position to open to another week or more once told they can open.

So I think 8 weeks of being told you cant see family and your more or less confined to being at home is probably the limit most societies can accept. You have to start letting people get back to their lives at some point all be it gradually.

Just look at Paris, riots last night, berlin protests over the weekend. Now nothing like that would happen here it's just to show the tide is turning opinion wise

FFS this whole running out of patience nonsense sounds really childish.

It's sh*t not being able to go to the pub with my mates but it's something that I'll get over for a while.

When they open you won't be forced to go if you don't feel safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Not a great business model. 80% empty premises with people nursing drinks.

Most pubs won't be able to operate unless they're busy so its all or nothing for a lot of them.

Yeah hard to imagine them actually bothering to open if they had to apply previous HSE Guidelines anyway :)

https://www2.hse.ie/wellbeing/alcohol/improve-your-health/weekly-low-risk-alcohol-guidelines.html

never_mind wrote: »
    When they open you won't be forced to go if you don't feel safe.

I understand how personal choice works.

I can understand people being annoyed about not being able to see their family, etc but the pub part might just be something that we have to get over for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Really can’t see them opening any time soon.

Even if they did you’d be absolutely mad in the head to visit them.

You don’t know who has this bloody illness. One night out could be your ticket to a bed in A&E.

I honestly think until we get a vaccine for this **** life is not going back to normal again. It’s just way too contagious for public gatherings of any kind to take place.

For what it’s worth I’d ****in love a pint of the black stuff but it’ll have to wait for a vaccine.

• Advertisement

Really can’t see them opening any time soon.

Even if they did you’d be absolutely mad in the head to visit them.

You don’t know who has this bloody illness. One night out could be your ticket to a bed in A&E.

I honestly think until we get a vaccine for this **** life is not going back to normal again. It’s just way too contagious for public gatherings of any kind to take place.

For what it’s worth I’d ****in love a pint of the black stuff but it’ll have to wait for a vaccine.

You'll be waiting a while so, vaccine at least 18 months away from widespread use if it even becomes available.

Your more likely to get an effective treatment much quicker

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

You'll be waiting a while so, vaccine at least 18 months away from widespread use if it even becomes available.

Your more likely to get an effective treatment much quicker

It’ll become available and it’ll happen quicker than 18 months.
    Theres a LOT of money being pumped into this by governments and others to to make that happen.
    The economic ramifications if its not found are too great to settle for a treatment.

As for the treatment, yeah it’ll definitely happen first but I would in no way see that as justification for going to a pub.

It’ll become available and it’ll happen quicker than 18 months.
    Theres a LOT of money being pumped into this by governments and others to to make that happen.
    The economic ramifications if its not found are too great to settle for a treatment.

As for the treatment, yeah it’ll definitely happen first but I would in no way see that as justification for going to a pub.

Theres no guarantee about a vaccine at all, even in human trials it might not be effective. We just have to wait and see and I hope it isn't 18 months away. But end of the day I dont see the hospitality industry as a whole being shut down until a vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

Everyone who values their freedom

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭briany

I honestly think until we get a vaccine for this **** life is not going back to normal again.

Bit of a truism at this stage. There's no set way that things are meant to be. Things happen to humanity that cause us to change the way we live in ways large or small. This will be just as true of the current pandemic.

Everyone who values their freedom

Rock, flag and eagle

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The 5th May announcement is going to be heart racing

Sadly wont be a full relaxation of everything but hopefully it's a start

Underground will be hard to run if u don't knw a publican well tbh but it wont happen either way

I understand how personal choice works.

I can understand people being annoyed about not being able to see their family, etc but the pub part might just be something that we have to get over for a while.

I’m really glad you clarified that because it sounded as though you thought you were being forced to go to a pub.

Likewise, if the HSE is happy for pubs to open if they put in place the correct procedures (which will happen) then it’s up to you whether you want to chance going.

Not everyone has family either. A lot of people rely on pubs as their only social outlet.

never_mind wrote: »
    I’m really glad you clarified that because it sounded as though you thought you were being forced to go to a pub.

Likewise, if the HSE is happy for pubs to open if they put in place the correct procedures (which will happen) then it’s up to you whether you want to chance going.

Not everyone has family either. A lot of people rely on pubs as their only social outlet.

I do understand that and feel for people who have lost their social outlet - I live nowhere near my family with my other half (a nurse) who is working a good chunk of the time so a pub would be my only social outlet at the moment too.

My point was that this whole idea of people losing patience just sounds childish - I completely agree that its sh*t but also that it's just something that we might need to get over for a while.

Play a game of poker over zoom or something like that - myself & my mates have chanced it and although its not the same, its still something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Annabella1

Singapore who have been praised for their containment has seen cases jump from 3700 to 8000 in 5 days after easing restrictions
    Long way to go unfortunately

Advertisement