Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs when/will they re-open - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Pubs cannot reopen till a vaccine has been concocted & vigorously tested on human guinney pigs, before being released in about eighteen months time!

THEN THE PUBS CAN OPEN.

It's been said as a joke in the thread but shebeens will become a fact of life. Don't mention guards - they'll be running half of them. Most of the older pubs across this nation arose from shebeen culture, just got a license.
    As soon as prohibition (which was the complete abolition of alcohol consumption - no popping down the offie) bit into America, speakeasies were five a dime. Same would happen here.

People are people and getting wasted in desperate times is in our nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Ifs and buts, if theres a vaccine but there might not be an effective one.

If you think pubs are going to be closed for 18 months not a chance, for that to happen they'll all need a serious government bailout.

Depending on how other countries do and our own situation you could be looking at late summer / autumn potentially. Its going to be a very very slow reopening whenever it does happen.

The pubs won't need a bailout, there'll be plenty of people with money to swoop in when some go bust.

GooglePlus wrote: »
    The pubs won't need a bailout, there'll be plenty of people with money to swoop in when some go bust.

Who is **** will buy Quirkes on the corner of Ballygobackwards. Some were barely breaking even. Sure, Coppers up here is a goldmine.....nothing to do with the boozer on the wide spot in the road somewhere in Cavan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Idbatterim wrote: »
    That government, Harris, Varadkar, the lot of them, they are despised by many here, have ZERO credibility and have the authority of the boy scouts! I honestly cant see their plan , which is basically no plan,to be tolerated here for much longer , like I said, given how disliked they are, based on their pathetic governance and lack of action, these last few years!

It must be an awful inconvenience for you! Tell us more, pet.

Joe's on the line now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Podge201

Shebeens. ****ed sake, I'm drunk too yet still able to spell ;):D

Thanks for that Kathleen

• Advertisement

Podge201 wrote: »
    Thanks for that Kathleen

You're welcome. I've taken to grammar Nazism as my lockdown hobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭showpony1

Sure, Coppers up here is a goldmine.

would they even bother opening the likes of coppers and tell you to stay 2 metres apart and no shifting. can't see point of opening most places until can go as normal.

showpony1 wrote: »
    would they even bother opening the likes of coppers and tell you to stay 2 metres apart and no shifting. can't see point of opening most places until can go as normal.

Think of floor space. They could easily change the teenage culture, do edible food and pack in a few hundred at a time. Coppers would be one of the first to re-open even though I only ever passed it's doors while a stretcher case.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,415 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Perhaps a 'scientific' study on how much harm can be done is needed. Get 300 people under 35 in to Coppers along with 10 people infected with the virus, allow all to drink as they please, issolate all for 3 weeks and measure rate of infections.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

chrissb8 wrote: »
    Mid April. But they will certainly try to be back on the most holiest of weekends!

Nope! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

what about homes living closely to pubs that would be impacted if they reopen - i.e. people drinking on the street/smokers on the street etc. Simply an influx of people coming and going Just a thought. People are currently using roads to social distance when passing each other on footpaths - dont fancy passing a bunch of smokers at the moment. I live very close to a pub and dread the thought of them reopening as I know the virus will explode cos people are missing the pub.

Near where I live there are 3 nursing homes/retirement complexes where older people live. Hopefully when the restrictions lift at least some of these people can go for a walk again/go to the shop. Where I live alone it could spread like wildfire given the wrong circumstances or just one person who doesnt know they have it. The thought is awful.

Just a thought.

Personally Id like restaurants to come back soon - after essential services. Small controlled area. Id like to go back to work or even visit my family and friends before pubs come back.

Perhaps a 'scientific' study on how much harm can be done is needed. Get 300 people under 35 in to Coppers along with 10 people infected with the virus, allow all to drink as they please, issolate all for 3 weeks and measure rate of infections.

Oh agreed, and that's the real life dilemma facing the government. We'll solve nothing here with wisecracks but that actually boils it down to the core. Someone will one day have to open that door but when ?

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

oh and another question - say when hotels, restuarants and pubs do reopen how will they deal with intermittent closure following a case of COV-19

would reopening and closing constantly be sustainable.

Thats just going from my own experience in work before lockdown - one of our buildings had to closed for 2 days after a case. I work in education though.

Think of floor space. They could easily change the teenage culture, do edible food and pack in a few hundred at a time. Coppers would be one of the first to re-open even though I only ever passed it's doors while a stretcher case.

why would anyone want to go though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Ifs and buts, if theres a vaccine but there might not be an effective one.

If you think pubs are going to be closed for 18 months not a chance, for that to happen they'll all need a serious government bailout. It's not just pubs it's the entire hospitality sector.

Depending on how other countries do and our own situation you could be looking at late summer / autumn potentially. Its going to be a very very slow reopening whenever it does happen.

Pubs opening, late summer, really?

That's wishful thinking if you ask me, I mean how can pubs open with people standing shoulder to shoulder at the bar, everybody in such close proximity, standing two feet apart at the urinals, spitting coughing (& getting really close to hear what somebody is saying) to you over the din.

I mean how could things be so relaxed by the end of summer?

I can't see it happening myself, not before a vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Poll needs a "fücked if I know" option

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

That's wishful thinking if you ask me, I mean how can pubs open with people standing shoulder to shoulder at the bar, everybody in such close proximity, standing two feet apart at the urinals, spitting coughing (& getting really close to hear what somebody is saying) to you over the din. I mean how could things be so relaxed by the end of summer?

Its 4 months away, things change every day at the moment. Let's see what the Austrians, germans etc all do, those that are ahead of us.

If your going to use the example of people being near each other, likewise can be said for schools, public transport, shopping centres. Theres more important things than pubs but it's the same issue facing multiple sectors of society.

Over the weekend Harris says not before a vaccine, today leo says we would like to open before a vaccine.

If its 18 months which is might well be for a vaccine, there wont be a hospitality industry never mind pubs.

This will cause a major change in attitude and make everyone much more aware of their surroundings.

Let's see what happens

showpony1 wrote: »
    why would anyone want to go though?

To meet friends. Even at two metres apart, reconnect. The hook-up culture is gone. No bad thing. An entire generation or two will have to learn how to meet someone in person in a bar / coffee shop / restaurant - crack some jokes, smile and discover something in common. Not swipe left or right on a phone with some randomer who'd give Jack the Ripper nightmares.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

To meet friends. Even at two metres apart, reconnect. The hook-up culture is gone. No bad thing. An entire generation or two will have to learn how to meet someone in person in a bar / coffee shop / restaurant - crack some jokes, smile and discover something in common. Not swipe left or right on a phone with some randomer who'd give Jack the Ripper nightmares.

No i rather pass right now.

No i rather pass right now.

Eejit:D But I really would love to see the real figures from the social dating apps. The Russian hookers who all live down the road from me still want to get to know me. Never saw them in the queue in Lidl and my road is pretty small.

We're talking pubs and in the main want to save them. Social distancing networks set up by gangsters and used by players are the unmissed casualty in this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

2022 should be a poll option in my considered opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

That's wishful thinking if you ask me, I mean how can pubs open with people standing shoulder to shoulder at the bar, everybody in such close proximity, standing two feet apart at the urinals, spitting coughing (& getting really close to hear what somebody is saying) to you over the din.

I mean how could things be so relaxed by the end of summer?

Because we’re going to allow this to spread through the population at a controlled rate that the health system can handle. The government can’t say it like that because all the idiots will lose their tiny minds but that is the plan. Same in every country. Lockdown until we have a vaccine would be worse. Soon we should have antiviral drugs for treatment which will help a lot less people die or end up in ICU.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Because we’re going to allow this to spread through the population at a controlled rate that the health system can handle. The government can’t say it like that because all the idiots will lose their tiny minds but that is the plan. Same in every country. Lockdown until we have a vaccine would be worse. Soon we should have antiviral drugs for treatment which will help a lot less people die or end up in ICU.

I think you're right. Domestic violence will overtake Corona fatalities otherwise. If they have some window on antivirals before winter returns we might be looking at it. But it's still very abstract as regards which week what will happen.

you start off describing that it will be friends meeting in the bars only when reopen, but then describe how single people will have to learn to pick-up strangers in a bar?

if anything those pre-arranged online dates would be easiest form of dating to go ahead. it would be more likely to be the accosting of strangers that will go for foreseeable.

I can't predict the future but in the short term it will not be online dating. The beautiful and the handsome may have some VIP sites and the best of luck to them. The rest of us will survive and exclude narcissists - which was what the original dating app scam was about.

When I make way for the little old lady in the shop, I give neither two fecks if she was Sophia Loren in her youth or Elizabeth 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,197 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

MadYaker wrote: »

You make it sound like 'herd immunity' which was shot down in flames just a few weeks ago!

Boris Johnson & Patrick Vallance suggested this course of action for the UK, and the ridicule was non stop from all directions, not least from Ireland, now you suggest that this is our plan too.

Hopefully I haven't misunderstood you

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

You make it sound like 'herd immunity' which was shot down in flames just a few weeks ago!

Boris Johnson & Patrick Vallance suggested this course of action for the UK, and the ridicule was non stop from all directions, not least from Ireland, now you suggest that this is our plan too.

Hopefully I haven't misunderstood you

Herd immunity is the only option, either by vaccine or controlled spread the outcome is the same. Were between a rock and a hard place here. Theres no option available to us where nobody dies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

never_mind wrote: »

" The era of social distancing "

The language is terrifying.

hashtag.Getthemopen.

hashtag.turnonthetaps.

hashtag.getthejuicesflowing

hashtag.phuckthebuzzkillers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

never_mind wrote: »

Interesting read from the publican point of view and the need for messages of hope rather than 'we're leaving you's till last'.

Restuarants and pubs may struggle to re-open through restrictions but it should be an option for them if they do the maths and it works out for them.

Advertisement