Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs when/will they re-open - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Surely this has to be a good starting point to.allow people a pint out of home and to kick start the sector?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Great to see the VFI get their fingers out and give the gubberment something to blame if anything goes wrong. It should buy them a few weeks more business, cute enough.

They missed a trick though. This has been a great opportunity to increase opening hours. On the argument that longer opening would allow them to accommodate more custom, it makes sense, from a social distancing angle.:pac::D:P:)

No DJ's and bands is also a nice touch, it should shut the buzz killers up for a few minutes. You have to think that a lot of their bile is rooted in their hatred of people dancing around and enjoying themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I'm curious about the mid 2000s in that graph. Online dating skyrocketed in the 90s and early 00s, but then flatlined for about 5 years before rapidly rising again until the present. I wonder what caused the stall in the mid 00s?
    Also meeting in bars was pretty much static for 30 years until it rose again at the end of the 00s at the same time online dating went up again.
    It's tough to find an explanation. The online slowdown seems to have occurred before the financial crash so that can't be it.

the rise of information about cat fishing / information harvesting and people becoming more afraid to share data online.
    Interesting graph. I expected the co-workers to be a lot higher TBH. I don't actually know any couples that have met online.

you do, many people are still ashamed to say it. There are many couples I know matched on tinder etc.. where they may have worked in the same building or whatever and particularly women will always say 'when people ask, we met at work' , theres still a stigma about women looking for a partner online from other women and peoples parents / grand parents.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭moritz1234

MattS1 wrote: »
    Sounds great, no queueing at the bar. Table service which is ideal.

Only if they pull the Guinness last, otherwise the head will be gone before you get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Actually come to think of it, if there's no shyte music in the pubs and you can actually have a decent conversation, I'd be more inclined to go. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

you do, many people are still ashamed to say it. There are many couples I know matched on tinder etc.. where they may have worked in the same building or whatever and particularly women will always say 'when people ask, we met at work' , theres still a stigma about women looking for a partner online from other women and peoples parents / grand parents.
    Well any couples I know either met in work or through friends. And I don't think there is as much stigma now as there was 5 or 10 years. I certainly wouldn't be ashamed to say I met someone online anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    Great to see the VFI get their fingers out and give the gubberment something to blame if anything goes wrong. It should buy them a few weeks more business, cute enough.

They missed a trick though. This has been a great opportunity to increase opening hours. On the argument that longer opening would allow them to accommodate more custom, it makes sense, from a social distancing angle.:pac::D:P:)

No DJ's and bands is also a nice touch, it should shut the buzz killers up for a few minutes. You have to think that a lot of their bile is rooted in their hatred of people dancing around and enjoying themselves.

what are buzz killers. Anyone here actually own a pub or run a pub.

I'm curious about the mid 2000s in that graph. Online dating skyrocketed in the 90s and early 00s, but then flatlined for about 5 years before rapidly rising again until the present. I wonder what caused the stall in the mid 00s?
    Also meeting in bars was pretty much static for 30 years until it rose again at the end of the 00s at the same time online dating went up again.
    It's tough to find an explanation. The online slowdown seems to have occurred before the financial crash so that can't be it.

Online dating only works for 20% of the males taking part. Long term it is doomed as a business model. In fact online dating is basically an opportunity for roasties to get laid easier. It works for average looking birds and attractive girls who are also sex addicts. It is a sublime way of cloaking their promiscuity, they don't get a rep online like they would in their local boozer or nightclub, especially if they are riding multiple partners.

Online dating only works for 20% of the males taking part. Long term it is doomed as a business model. In fact online dating is basically an opportunity for roasties to get laid easier. It works for average looking birds and attractive girls who are also sex addicts. It is a sublime way of cloaking their promiscuity, they don't get a rep online like they would in their local boozer or nightclub, especially if they are riding multiple partners.

??

WTF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Yeah no music and all of that but that doesn't bother me anyway, we would be in for a catch up after work on a Friday or lunch on a Sunday.
    Says no live music or DJ - guessing background recorded music will be ok..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Actually come to think of it, if there's no shyte music in the pubs and you can actually have a decent conversation, I'd be more inclined to go.

Couldn't agree more. Used to drive me flippin insane. You're having great craic catching up with friends and then some gob****e with a guitar comes on singing the fields of athenry or wagon wheel.

Couldn't agree more. Used to drive me flippin insane. You're having great craic catching up with friends and then some gob****e with a guitar comes on singing the fields of athenry or wagon wheel.

at this point id sit right next to that f*ckers amp just to have a pint. But by christ thats the worst thing about tourist trap pubs.

what are buzz killers. Anyone here actually own a pub or run a pub.

You certainly sound like one. A buzz killer that is:p. If you were a publican you would know that they weren't fly exterminators either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

A lot of people seem to be buying into this "new normal" scenario that is unwinding.

The pandemic is now over, all you are seeing is a PR exercise from gubberments terrified of being perceived to be phucking things up unnecessarily. This staged lockdown removal is a lot more about slowly getting back to normal and pacifying a paranoid public. Pubs will be busy again long before a vaccine I can only imagine, if we ever see a vaccine.

They will open the boozers last, but only because they don't want to upset the buzz killers, not because they reckon it is a risk to the health system. The gradual release of restrictions is sensible all things considered, but pubs, hotels and restaurants need to open soon. The gubberment know this.

Once you turn the taps back on you will find it very difficult to "unpack" pubs, if you can at all. The reality will be a couple of weeks of shoulder shrugging and possibly some pub shaming from the doomers, buzz killers and the press and then it will be all systems go again. You will get some annoying press the weeks around any opening, but it is going to happen. As I said a few weeks of tender steps and then everyone back on the pints fulltime. I can't wait.

I have read some ****e on this forum since the virus appeared but this has to be the biggest load of ****e so far. You believe the pandemic is over? Absolutely wrong. There will be no quick reopening of pubs no matter how much you want it to happen. Even if they do reopen in August if there is a big surge in new cases they will be very quickly shut down again. If that makes me a "buzzkiller" (where the **** did you get that term from?) then so be it.

I have read some ****e on this forum since the virus appeared but this has to be the biggest load of ****e so far. You believe the pandemic is over? Absolutely wrong. There will be no quick reopening of pubs no matter how much you want it to happen. Even if they do reopen in August if there is a big surge in new cases they will be very quickly shut down again. If that makes me a "buzzkiller" (where the **** did you get that term from?) then so be it.

Ah here, I am sorry for your mood Corkbhoy, but this is happening. The virus is in decline and unless it rebounds it will be squashed. Why would you have a problem with that ?

Don't be buzz killer , you are better than that, I feel it. Look up, make peace with the world, embrace your future and everyone else's in a proactive way. It will help you feel better about life.

All things come to an end. The virus is over, panic is over. Life will return to normal, sooner than you think. Everyone should be thankful for that.

You certainly sound like one. A buzz killer that is:p. If you were a publican you would know that they weren't fly exterminators either.

Not a publican but my parents are - still own our pub at home. Grew up in a pub as our home/business.

seems to be a lot of rubbish on here - do you think all publicans are crazy money grabbers that would allow their staff and customers to be put at risk to be then ultimately shut down.

Ahhh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

At least there will be less bar fights

Not a publican but my parents are - still own our pub at home. Grew up in a pub as our home/business.
    seems to be a lot of rubbish on here - do you think all publicans are crazy money grabbers that would allow their staff and customers to be put at risk to be then ultimately shut down.

Ahhh.

You should really have more respect for your parents don't you think?

Do you think your parents are money grabbers who would risk the health and livelihoods of their employees?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

June is too soon, 6 per table is too many, would need to be card only payments and much more handwashing than every 30 minutes , a lot of tat behind bars would have to go as well. If the publican is unwilling to work themselves there would need to be a much higher pay rate for staff and if there is any aggro from customers there would need to be Garda available

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

June is too soon, 6 per table is too many, would need to be card only payments and much more handwashing than every 30 minutes , a lot of tat behind bars would have to go as well. If the publican is unwilling to work themselves there would need to be a much higher pay rate for staff and if there is any aggro from customers there would need to be Garda available

Depends on the size of the table I suppose, but I'd imagine they're just testing the water and high balling their suggestions.

Would be nice to have a pint by the end of June though all going well.

You should really have more respect for your parents don't you think?

Do you think your parents are money grabbers who would risk the health and livelihoods of their employees?

Of course not. So many people on here just talking ****e - oh pandemic over. Pubs should open now and they will be jammed. Oh I know a pub that will let me in now.

People are buzz killers cos they have genuine and legitimate concerns about pubs opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Why would staff need to be paid more if anything they won't be working as hard due to lesser capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

June is too early..

6 to a table? Is this a fooking wind up?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

rob316 wrote: »
    Why would staff need to be paid more if anything they won't be working as hard due to lesser capacity.

Increase in cleaning, most likely filling in cleaning schedules, toilets will have to be cleaned at least once an hour, first couple of days will see the worst type of gobshyte in the pubs, you need to be paid more to listen to those, higher risk from said slobbering gobshyte who will think they have to drink the place dry for fear of it closing again.
    Keeping the pubs closed until they can open properly is still the best plan in my opinion, less hassle for everyone because if they open in this half-assed way and there's a few clusters they'll be shut for longer,

This thread has definitely been attracting a lot of tea-totalling keyboard warrior types since the pandemic started to collapse.

I reckon late June at this stage. Although the gubberment may not be too comfortable relinquishing their August 10 cushion. I think more likely people to be reinventing restaurants during July, some craic.

"Can I have the special please and 6 pints, thanks very much"

The Vintners’ Federation of Ireland (VFI) and Licensed Vintners’ Association (LVA) have written to the Government accepting their invitation to discuss the Government Roadmap and its implications for pubs as a matter of urgency. This follows commitments made by Ministers over the weekend that the Government will meet with the two representative bodies for publicans over course of the coming week.

As part of their discussions with the Government, the two organisations will be pressing for pubs to reopen at the same time and on the same basis as cafes and restaurants. Recognising the challenge of maintaining social distancing in a hospitality environment, the organisations will also be putting forward radical changes to the normal operations of bars in order to protect public health.

These measures include:
    • Bars will become dispense bars only with no sitting, standing, ordering, payment or drinking at the bar allowed.
    • Table service will be a requirement with pubs only serving customers seated at tables.
    • The numbers on the premises would be confined to no more than 4 per every 10 square metres.
    • A maximum of 6 people would be permitted at any one table.
    • Customers will be required to use hand sanitiser upon entry.
    • All customers must remain seated.
    • Staff will be fully trained in the new procedures. They will also be asked to maintain a safe distance from customers when taking orders and to wash their hands thoroughly every 30 minutes.
    • The utilisation of outdoor spaces to enhance social distancing.
    • Procedures implemented to ensure safe use of toilet facilities, which may include limits on the numbers using toilets at any one time.
    • No live music or DJs.
    • Gardaí / HSE will have the power to close any business who is flouting the public health guidelines.

The two organisations will also stress they remain fully committed to doing what is necessary to protect the health and safety of all staff and customers.

Strict protocols setting out how staff and customers are required to comply with social distancing in hospitality businesses will be developed in conjunction with National Public Health Emergency Team (NPHET) and the Department of Health. Those protocols would apply to all hospitality businesses. The publican groups would look to have the temporary measures reviewed by NPHET on an ongoing basis, with a view to resuming normal trading when it is safe to do so.

Speaking about the proposed measures, Donall O’Keeffe, Chief Executive of the LVA said, “We fully respect the need to continue to protect the public health. We have repeatedly proven this commitment, not least in the fact that our sector was the first to close across the country. We also believe that if other venues who serve food and alcohol are allowed to reopen in Phase 3, then pubs should be granted the same opportunity to trade. We don’t believe it is in any way appropriate that the Government should apply one rule for some hospitality businesses and another rule for others.

“We are making a series of radical proposals to how bars should operate for the reopening scenario. Trading will be extremely difficult under these circumstances. There is no doubt that the pub experience as we know it will have to change dramatically. Many pubs may choose not to reopen as it simply won’t be financially viable under these conditions. However, for those who want to trade, these measures will have the essential impact of protecting the health and wellbeing of staff and customers alike,” Mr. O’Keeffe said.

Padraig Cribben, Chief Executive of the VFI said, “We were pleased to see Minister Humphreys and Minister Harris commit to organising a meeting this week to discuss the reopening of pubs in line with restaurants and cafés. We have now written to the Government to ensure this meeting happens at the earliest possible opportunity. What is clear is that the current roadmap plan isn’t tenable and will lead to confusion in the hospitality sector if it is not addressed.

“The public health restrictions will present real challenges to all hospitality venues, it doesn’t matter if they are a pub, a restaurant, a café or a hotel. There is no denying that and there is no getting around it. Addressing those public health requirements will be necessary for all hospitality businesses whenever they reopen. Pubs across Ireland are up to that challenge and will do what is required for maintaining a safe and healthy place of business,” Mr. Cribben concluded.

Absolute joke unless they plan on just flouting them. Nobody would want to go and they couldn’t make money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭threeball

walshb wrote: »
    June is too early..

6 to a table? Is this a fooking wind up?

The vintners proposals are a joke. The country will be in no position to have the level of interaction that happens in a pub by June. They need to make a decision. If they truly value their Christmas trade they need to stick to the government's advice or run the significant risk of being in lock down again before the year is out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

threeball wrote: »
    The vintners proposals are a joke. The country will be in no position to have the level of interaction that happens in a pub by June. They need to make a decision. If they truly value their Christmas trade they need to stick to the government's advice or run the significant risk of being in lock down again before the year is out.

yeah dont think it would be worth the hassle tbh

not worth the cost either

Advertisement