Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs when/will they re-open - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭threeball

June is too soon, 6 per table is too many, would need to be card only payments and much more handwashing than every 30 minutes , a lot of tat behind bars would have to go as well. If the publican is unwilling to work themselves there would need to be a much higher pay rate for staff and if there is any aggro from customers there would need to be Garda available

Just consider the simple task of collecting glasses. The bar person is going to have to touch an object that has been at a person's mouth and in their hand multiple times, then ensure its safely handled, sterilised correctly and kept well away from other products. Then somehow put back in recirculation without breaking any protocols. That's before you get in too airborne transmission

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

The buzz killers are swarming.

I cannot wait to have a good laugh at their expense when the pubs open up again.

The way prices have gone, the atmosphere of a pub was barely keeping people going as opposed to drinking at home. If this comes in then the atmosphere is removed so good night to it all. They can’t make money from this as it is, and that’s before you even get near how badly thought out it is anyway.

IAMAMORON wrote: »

I cannot wait to have a good laugh at their expense when the pubs open up again.

You haven’t seen any buzz kill yet until you see how they’d be under these proposals.

You won't be able to laugh through your respirator.
    Couldn't think of a place it would be more likely to pick up the virus other than a covid ward

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Absolute joke unless they plan on just flouting them. Nobody would want to go and they couldn’t make money.

It'll be up to each pub what way they want to work it and if it suits them. It'll be the way it is in August too.

If its viable for some pubs let them open.
    Not much difference for me anyway, usually use table service anyway whenever we're in the lounge, 4 or 5 of us at the table so wouldn't be any change for me.
    Always the same group out too and if people stick to their own tables I dont see the issue. We would have a few after work on a Friday or go watch a match on a Saturday or sunday

threeball wrote: »
    You won't be able to laugh through your respirator.
    Couldn't think of a place it would be more likely to pick up the virus other than a covid ward

You sound like you need to get out more.

You are epitomising the nastiness a buzz killer or doomer exudes. Wishing people to be on respirators? I would hope this is not going to be part of any " new norm".

Not a nice post if I am being honest, why would you compose such spite?

It'll be up to each pub what way they want to work it and if it suits them. It'll be the way it is in August too.

If its viable for some pubs let them open.
    Not much difference for me anyway, usually use table service anyway whenever we're in the lounge, 4 or 5 of us at the table so wouldn't be any change for me.
    Always the same group out too and if people stick to their own tables I dont see the issue. We would have a few after work on a Friday or go watch a match on a Saturday or sunday

You think it’ll be up to each pub? God no it won’t. Do you realise how serious this is and how serious it will be for a long time yet?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

If the pubs do open in August and there is a surge in cases of the virus then they will be closed again and possibly not reopen again this side of Christmas. You won`t be laughing then I`m afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

You are epitomising the nastiness a buzz killer or doomer exudes. Wishing people to be on respirators? I would hope this is not going to be part of any " new norm".

What’s with all the personal attacks? You think pubs should open...fine. Others don’t. You’re both entitled to your opinion.

If memory serves me correct you were the same when people were questioning the wisdom of letting Cheltenham go ahead. Something that in hindsight is widely accepted as being a mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

You think it’ll be up to each pub? God no it won’t. Do you realise how serious this is and how serious it will be for a long time yet?

It'll be up to each pub if they want to open with the plans yes, if its viable they open if not they dont.

It's in the proposals, if they dont think they can implement the measures they dont open.

You haven’t seen any buzz kill yet until you see how they’d be under these proposals.

Reg, you are not reading between the lines. Don't fail on this one.

Every negotiation needs a benchmark. The proposals are actioning 4 things.

1) The VFI are showing the pubs they are trying to help
    2) The VFI are showing the Gubberment there is a plan.
    3) The Gubberment are indicating to the public that they are trying to compromise and help them out.
    4) The plan indicates to the public that the publicans are implementing measures to ensure their safety. If this was not done you would have buzz killers in the media trying to cause issues, no one needs that.

The plan is being floated to see how it sits with everyone. But once it reaches agreement a lot of its' elements will literally be window dressing. Staff will be faffing around with masks and sanitizers for a few weeks. There will be some token " social" distancing etc. The reality is that by the end of June this virus is going to be over. The staged plans are PR exercises so that the gubberment don't get a beating if anything goes pear shaped. It is an ass covering event.

The pandemic is over, the endgame has begun, this is what virus winddown is about.

It'll be up to each pub if they want to open with the plans yes, if its viable they open if not they dont.

It's in the proposals, if they dont think they can implement the measures they dont open.

:D Can I inspect your wallet for a second please?

What’s with all the personal digs? You think pubs should open...fine. Others don’t. You’re both entitled to your opinion.

If memory serves me correct you were the same when people were questioning the wisdom of letting Cheltenham go ahead. Something that in hindsight is widely accepted as being a mistake.

Collie D wrote: »
    What’s with all the personal attacks? You think pubs should open...fine. Others don’t. You’re both entitled to your opinion.

What personnel attacks?

Only the doom brigade thought Cheltenham was an issue, they have been doing that ever since. Looking for something to "blame". If it wasn't Cheltenham it was the school ski trips or if it wasn't the school trips it was flights from Europe. The same cranks were then out screaming about "Dubs" going for holidays at Easter.

Now the virus is over and all they do is invest their energy in trying to keep it here?

Oh sorry I forgot to mention Sweden, or is that a socially acceptable norm yet?

What really is your problem with people wanting to have a few pints and enjoy their lives?

Fcuk off with your wishing people to be on respirators bullsh1t. The only thing nasty is the way you try to twist it in order to troll.
    Off with ya, best of luck, I get out plenty. I'm not stupid enough to be licking someone else's pint glass, unlike some.

If the pubs do open in August and there is a surge in cases of the virus then they will be closed again and possibly not reopen again this side of Christmas. You won`t be laughing then I`m afraid.

It is over Corkbhoy, it is done. The pandemic is over, I am sorry for you that that disappoints you. But it is over, the end game has begun.

Why would you want it to continue?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Reg, you are not reading between the lines. Don't fail on this one.

Every negotiation needs a benchmark. The proposals are actioning 4 things.

1) The VFI are showing the pubs they are trying to help
    2) The VFI are showing the Gubberment there is a plan.
    3) The Gubberment are indicating to the public that they are trying to compromise and help them out.
    4) The plan indicates to the public that the publicans are implementing measures to ensure their safety. If this was not done you would have buzz killers in the media trying to cause issues, no one needs that.

The plan is being floated to see how it sits with everyone. But once it reaches agreement a lot of its' elements will literally be window dressing. Staff will be faffing around with masks and sanitizers for a few weeks. There will be some token " social" distancing etc. The reality is that by the end of June this virus is going to be over. The staged plans are PR exercises so that the gubberment don't get a beating if anything goes pear shaped. It is an ass covering event.

The pandemic is over, the endgame has begun, this is what virus winddown is about.

The reality is that the virus will not be going away any time soon. There will undoubtedly be a rise in cases after the restrictions start to be eased and if it becomes unmanageable for the health services to cope with then the restrictions will be imposed again with pubs being one of the first to be affected like what happened in March. The pandemic is not close to being over no matter how much we would all like it to be.

The reality is that the virus will not be going away any time soon. There will undoubtedly be a rise in cases after the restrictions start to be eased and if it becomes unmanageable for the health services to cope with then the restrictions will be imposed again with pubs being one of the first to be affected like what happened in March. The pandemic is not close to being over no matter how much we would all like it to be.

Let's agree to disagree Corbhoy, I don't share your pessimism. There is the potential for spikes in certain parts of the country, but I don't think that we will see the virus resurge anything like it was.

Don't forget that the end of June is 57 days away, over 8 weeks. That is a long time.

What personnel attacks?

Only the doom brigade thought Cheltenham was an issue, they have been doing that ever since. Looking for something to "blame". If it wasn't Cheltenham it was the school ski trips or if it wasn't the school trips it was flights from Europe. The same cranks were then out screaming about "Dubs" going for holidays at Easter.

Now the virus is over and all they do is invest their energy in trying to keep it here?

Oh sorry I forgot to mention Sweden, or is that a socially acceptable norm yet?

What really is your problem with people wanting to have a few pints and enjoy their lives?

I haven’t expressed an opinion on pubs either way but you’ve already presumed I have a problem with it. I think it’s open to debate but your debunking of anyone who disagrees with you as being part of the “doom brigade” or a crank doesn’t really allow that debate.

FWIW it’s worth I love a few pints but I think it would be double standards to ask people to social distance in the street or supermarket and then allow a free for all in pubs which is what it will likely be. They’ll open but under same regulations as everyone else.

My issue isn’t with your opinion. Nobody can predict the future and what some Boards users think won’t make a difference either way so I’m happy to read other views. It’s how you piss all over the posts of anyone with a different viewpoint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Hasschu

Ireland being Ireland I am sure that owner operated bars are serving their trusted customers. Reduced hours 8:00pm to 1:00 am, isolation/snugs probably less than 20 customers. A person has to make a living.

Collie D wrote: »
    I haven’t expressed an opinion on pubs either way but you’ve already presumed I have a problem with it. I think it’s open to debate but your debunking of anyone who disagrees with you as being part of the “doom brigade” or a crank doesn’t really allow that debate.

FWIW it’s worth I love a few pints but I think it would be double standards to ask people to social distance in the street or supermarket and then allow a free for all in pubs which is what it will likely be. They’ll open but under same regulations as everyone else.

My issue isn’t with your opinion. Nobody can predict the future and what some Boards users think won’t make a difference either way so I’m happy to read other views. It’s how you piss all over the posts of anyone with a different viewpoint.

I don't know now. I mean that is a lot of paragraphs in fairness?

Given that you brought up my indifference to the Cheltenham festival I suspect that you are attacking me as opposed to what I think about pubs re-opening? You cannot change my mind on that assumption either, save your retorts I know when a poster is taking a beating.

You might not like me, that is fine, but diss the posts and not the poster. The pandemic is over. I am entitled to argue a view point and I certainly will continue to discredit posts which I feel are only offering cynicism. If that means I need to piss on a few parades so be it.

Do you think online dating has a future, or is it just a way for promiscuous women to get laid more often?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

It is over Corkbhoy, it is done. The pandemic is over, I am sorry for you that that disappoints you. But it is over, the end game has begun.

Not one mention of the gubberment?

Honestly I think you have become a Covidiot.

Not one mention of the gubberment?

Honestly I think you have become a Covidiot.

What is a Covidiot?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: The conversation has turned decidedly dickish. Rein it in or the next step will be threadbans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

A lot of people seem to be buying into this "new normal" scenario that is unwinding.

The pandemic is now over, all you are seeing is a PR exercise from gubberments terrified of being perceived to be phucking things up unnecessarily. This staged lockdown removal is a lot more about slowly getting back to normal and pacifying a paranoid public. Pubs will be busy again long before a vaccine I can only imagine, if we ever see a vaccine.

They will open the boozers last, but only because they don't want to upset the buzz killers, not because they reckon it is a risk to the health system. The gradual release of restrictions is sensible all things considered, but pubs, hotels and restaurants need to open soon. The gubberment know this.

Once you turn the taps back on you will find it very difficult to "unpack" pubs, if you can at all. The reality will be a couple of weeks of shoulder shrugging and possibly some pub shaming from the doomers, buzz killers and the press and then it will be all systems go again. You will get some annoying press the weeks around any opening, but it is going to happen. As I said a few weeks of tender steps and then everyone back on the pints fulltime. I can't wait.

A realistic post this is how I see it.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

I used to work behind the bar in my younger years. I can remember lads who would be down every day of the week for a few pints. One conversation I can recall is them huddled around half pints of Guinness talking about young lads who can't go out on a Saturday night without taking drugs. Drugs they said would ruin these young fellas.

The irony was lost on these lads considering they probably hadn't missed a day of drinking a few pints since god knows when.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I thought I made the reasons clear. Ok so I know there is a 'roadmap' and it was badly needed. But people are assuming it will run to plan. That wont happen. More than likely there will be spikes of Covid 19 cases as restrictions get relaxed and people get complacent. The metrics for phase exits haven't been published for obvious reasons. So these spikes will likely cause one or more of the phases to be deferred by another 3 weeks. That means we could be looking at opening pubs in September/October. Do you think the government will risk opening pubs before the start of flu season and the kids go back to school??? No chance. Zero. The flu season doesn't happen because the flu especially loves the cold weather - it starts because the cold pushes people indoors which leads to higher virus transmission (colds, flus, norovirus etc). Do you think the HSE will recommend opening pubs so that they are dealing with Covid19, the seasonal flu and existing flu strains, the winter vomit bug etc etc? Remember what the hospitals were like in winter before Covid 19?

So no, the pubs will not open until April 2021 at the earliest. Maybe there will be an interim trial for certain larger pubs but it wont work. Optics only. Obviously there would be outrage if the government admitted the scenario above which is why they wont. Softly softly.

My own guess would be late May or early June in 2021.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0505/1136467-flu-vaccination-extension/
    Minister for Health Simon Harris is seeking an extension of the seasonal influenza vaccination programme in order to minimise the risks associated with a possible resurgence of Covid-19 during the annual influenza season next winter.

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has said that having to deal with both viruses at the same time would be an absolute disaster.

Almost 11,000 cases of influenza were notified to the Health Protection Surveillance Centre during the flu season just ending, with 4,323 people needing hospitalisation, while 152 of them were admitted to intensive care.

Overall, 103 people died of influenza

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

2-3 months for me, from now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

Hasschu wrote: »
    Ireland being Ireland I am sure that owner operated bars are serving their trusted customers. Reduced hours 8:00pm to 1:00 am, isolation/snugs probably less than 20 customers. A person has to make a living.
    the pub trade in Ireland dosent work that way..

Advertisement