Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs when/will they re-open - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waccamacca3

You all do know staff will be wearing masks and gloves???

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

You all do know staff will be wearing masks and gloves???

Actually they wont as neither constitute current HSE advice. Quite the opposite regarding gloves being helpful came out over the weekend. People aren't using them correctly and are failing to adhere to basic hand hygiene. Gloves are potentially worse for transmission of virus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    It is over Corkbhoy, it is done. The pandemic is over, I am sorry for you that that disappoints you. But it is over, the end game has begun.

Why would you want it to continue?

Your username portrays you well. You chose correctly when choosing it. You sir are a moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: @shocksy - don't post in the thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waccamacca3

Actually they wont as neither constitute current HSE advice. Quite the opposite regarding gloves being helpful came out over the weekend. People aren't using them correctly and are failing to adhere to basic hand hygiene. Gloves are potentially worse for transmission of virus

No regulatory information out yet for bars

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

How would all those rules work once people get a few drinks inside them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

The doom and gloom brigade

The pandemic is over

Never has a statement and a username aligned in such in synergy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

It is really annoying the doomers and the buzz killers that the pandemic is receding and it will soon be over.

There will be no zombie apocalypse. They seem disappointed by this so they are frantically looking around for somewhere to pass on the bile. One finger to their mouths and then a big swoop down and it is " oh yeah " let's have a go at drinkers, smear a bout of hatred around there for a while.

I mean you really need to take a minute and look at how desperate they sound. It is like they are panicking with no one to blame or chastise and no more shrills of panic to permeate around any more. All their over the top scaremongering and tripe talk has led to this, antagonising a group of functioning alcoholics on an internet forum. Congratulations.

Yummy stuff.

You could always turn them into a drinking game.

Every time you break a rule you have to drink a shot or drink 2 gulps or something similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

they wouldn't..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

It is really annoying the doomers and the buzz killers that the pandemic is receding and it will soon be over.

There will be no zombie apocalypse. They seem disappointed by this so they are frantically looking around for somewhere to pass on the bile. One finger to their mouths and then a big swoop down and it is " oh yeah " let's have a go at drinkers, smear a bout of hatred around there for a while.

I mean you really need to take a minute and look at how desperate they sound. It is like they are panicking with no one to blame or chastise and no more shrills of panic to permeate around any more. All their over the top scaremongering and tripe talk has led to this, antagonising a group of functioning alcoholics on an internet forum. Congratulations.

Yummy stuff.
    I think you might be conflating realists with pessimists.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

The same way they prevent over-serving their customers :pac:

I think you might be conflating realists with pessimists.

I don't think they are either. For most doomers it has given them the opportunity to blame and chastise others. They like doing that.

There lies one of the great devils and crimes of the virus, its' tolerance of parasites willing to thrive off the back of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Yummy stuff.

You are posting in stupid and annoying way however I think you are on the right track however.

The country needs to reopen.

Over half the deaths in care homes and covid cases discharged into care homes I think it's time people stopped getting their knickers in a twist about the pubs.

Pubs provide employment and tax revenue for the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The same way they prevent over-serving their customers :pac:

That works really well.

The pubs couldn't control people before the shut down was enforced, what will make this any different?

They won't people need to be realistic here.

The country can not stay closed forever.

I do not drink in pubs by the way but they are a big part of the Irish economy.
    Getting pub workers and the suppliers off the €350 covid payment and back to paying tax is needed.

People who are in the high risk groups need to avoid crowds for a while longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭jt69er

As I said in another thread I visit the full range of licensed premises in my line of work and I don't think there is a "one size fits all" solution to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Is it not a bit of a contradiction from the pubs that they claim they're no different to cafés and restaurants, yet still feel the need to produce drastic proposals which would render pubs unrecognisable in order to actually resemble a café?

While I'd love pubs to reopen, the proposals are fantasy stuff and they're either lying or naive if they think they will be enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

If they never opened again I'd probably have a much better rest of my life tbh! Them and restaurants being shut is saving me an absolute fortune, I never realised how much money I wasted on these things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I like my pints but it's unworkable unless they have HSE grade booths and tables that can be wiped down and disinfected before and after people use them. Ditto toilet door handles and fixtures, handrails etc.
    Small poky pubs and those without a beer garden and outdoor seating will be at a disadvantage. Who makes the call to shut down the pub in case of violations, are guards to start patrolling every pub as well? It leaves it wide open to piss pulling from both customer and publican.
    Fantasy stuff from the vintners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

My village is dead and its so sad. I would love for the pubs to open but they can't. I was thinking about this. They can't for a few reasons. They open until their stage of the road map.

1) my local pubs are usually quite and they could work social distancing measures for sure. I would be afraid it might it encourage pub touring - people coming from cities into rural towns.
    2) we are facing a health crisis and a pandemic. I would imagine, people who don't know how to manage the or drinks a d get drunk, they would put pressures on the accident and emergency departments. It's not fair sending drunks into hospitals. It's not on, not any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Podge201

All jokes aside here with this suggestion but adult nappy compulsory wearing would solve alot of hygiene issues with toilets.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Podge201 wrote: »
    All jokes aside here with this suggestion but adult nappy compulsory wearing would solve alot of hygiene issues with toilets.
    I mean, I love my pints, but...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Actually come to think of it, if there's no shyte music in the pubs and you can actually have a decent conversation, I'd be more inclined to go. :pac:

It's like they're trying to create my ideal pub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

I hate the ****e live guitar player. Much rather top 50 Spotify. Or anything recorded and not with some guy playing a guitar that you can't talk over.

Podge201 wrote: »

That would have to be some nappy to soak up ten pints not to mention the puke.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I hate the ****e live guitar player. Much rather top 50 Spotify. Or anything recorded and not with some guy playing a guitar that you can't talk over.

I'm the same, usually whenever the amp comes out on a Friday or Saturday night we move as far away as possible cause we're chatting away.

Much prefer background music

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

obv wont be happening for the near future but pubs that are near stadiums/concet venues but no way in hell they could manage social distancing measures. D4 pubs are a nightmare when theres a concert/match on

The day the pub opens they will be mobbed no matter what social distancing situation were in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭PommieBast

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The day the pub opens they will be mobbed no matter what social distancing situation were in
    If they somehow opened on a regulars-only basis it might be ok, but no idea how such a system could be policed.

Advertisement