Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs when/will they re-open - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,953 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I was a twice a week pub goer for early evening quiet pints with my wife when we were flush. Maybe once a forthnight in a foodie pub if lucky. It was usually our local hotel with our daughter. Initially I missed it, but that was just a hammer blow reaction. I've settled down into rethinking it now and I'm in no rush to get back to the pub scene when it reopens. Apart from the obvious bedlam that will take place, I'm looking at what it cost me on my own or me and my missus for a simple few drinks and a taxi home. Even on a reduced income and having a few scoops at home and cooking, I can see the financial difference. I would be in the camp of best of luck to them without me.

Sounds similar to ourselves.

We have all had to adjust. I think we can.

Just ordered an insulated picnic thing that will hold our devious lunch of sausage rolls and crap + a bottle of vino and a beer or two. Thrown in the backpack for a walk on the weekend. Oh the joys!

kenmc wrote: »
    I can't see how pubs can open with social distance in place. "Oh we'll have table service, a Rota for toilet, max 6 at a table etc"

That's fine and dandy but one of two things likely happen. Big chunk of pubs won't open cos they can't make money like that. Those that do likely to have a scrum outside of people trying to get in for a pint.

Or people say "fcuk it, not worth the hassle" and stay home, and pubs do very little business and don't stay open.

They know themselves that won’t happen, it’s all just to get the doors open and then everything goes out the window and they make a killing for a few weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Won't get a nice creamy pint of Guinness in the offy though ...... Those ones out of the cans just aren't the same imo

€13 for a pack of eight instead of paying €50 for eight in a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Won't get a nice creamy pint of Guinness in the offy though ...... Those ones out of the cans just aren't the same imo

Your pouring it wrong . Cans are nice

Yes I know this. But it is not worth a trip to a socially distanced pub either.

Guinness Murphys Beamish need to come with a solution here! Deliver it to me. Will be the same in the garden as socially distanced in some pub really.

• Advertisement

He said a nice pint. €50 for something is better value than €13 for nothing.

They know themselves that won’t happen, it’s all just to get the doors open and then everything goes out the window and they make a killing for a few weeks.

I think they may be relying on the younger cohort who are immune don't you know. :rolleyes:

The rest of us oul codgers are not in that radar at all.

I think they may be relying on the younger cohort who are immune don't you know. :rolleyes:

And then the immune young ones go home and wonder in a few weeks why they’re watching their Ma getting buried on a webcam.

There’s definitely very little thought given by most of them though. They’re the danger to all us codgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Its all about the atmosphere
    The guinness you get in a can is the same Guinness which comes out if the tap in the pub.

And then the immune young ones go home and wonder in a few weeks why they’re watching their Ma getting buried on a webcam.

There’s definitely very little thought given by most of them though. They’re the danger to all us codgers.

There are none so blind....

But no one listens to old codgers either :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,550 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

South Korean nightclubs must be their version of care homes then!

Off licenses are making a mint.

But apart from a few independent outlets they are usually part of the pub anyway. Win Win.

Will they feck off with their MUP now do you think, I'm laughing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

I loved going to the pub before the closures. I mean loved it. Not for the drink as such (although it is nice) but for the chats and arguments in my local. Rural local. Like we have 2 pubs in the village and people just wander up on their own and chats and debates follow. It's mad how often 1 person walks into the pub. Its more often one walks in than a group yet both pubs are mad busy at the weekends. It's just like that.

Anyways pre-closure fcuk me I loved going up for a few pints (750 metre walk) and a chat. Usually Friday night around 9.30 and Sunday around 4. Friday's Id usually stay until closing and Sunday I'd head away around 8. Catch up on the gossip, chat about the sport the usual. But since March 13th I have not had one drop of drink. Not even a smell. The first few weekends I missed it but since then not really at all.

When this is all said and done I'll be like a lot of posters here and won't be rushing back. The thoughts of Social Distancing in my local, queuing to get in etc etc is the antithesis of everything I enjoy in my pub. So I think I'll be staying at home with a renewed Sky Sports subscription and enjoying life. There'll probably be a lot like me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

He said a nice pint.

Two people four drinks each big difference in price.
    Ireland has many nationalities working away these days people from Eastern Europe have worked their way into the Irish culture the most except for the pub culture.

I see many Irish moving in a similar direction as regards pub culture.

Same with Aldi and Lidl when they opened they where full of non nationals I see them full of Irish these days.

The culture of being careful with money and not blowing a big chuck of money on a night out being overcharged for every drink is gone for the most part for many people.

The recession that is going to follow this crisis will hammer this home even more.

I don't see the pub culture dying but I would guess half of them could close for good and longterm we will have enough to meet demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

All the proposed measures are just too get the government to allow them to re-open. Realistically, once people have pints in them, everything will go out the window regarding social distancing and probably table service.

A lot of smaller pubs will simply not bother as they know they cannot survive like that.

The re-imagining of smoking areas to table service is a nice romantic notion but while this works well in Continental Europe where you have long summer evenings, our unpredictable weather will simply drive people back indoors and this notion will simply disappear.

It's going to take a lot of ingenuity from pubs to try and re-open safely. Those tables with the self service taps or an "order on an app" system like that used in Wetherspoons could become something of a norm and are relatively easy to develop.

Increased staffing and security presence to implement the above measures would be a massive expense that some establishments simply would not be able for.

pjohnson wrote: »
    South Korean nightclubs must be their version of care homes then!

Yes, I get you, opening things up can have consequences.

TBH I never would have associated SK with pubs and bars given their response to the virus... but every day's a school day. :D

We should be very careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,260 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I was a twice a week pub goer for early evening quiet pints with my wife when we were flush. Maybe once a forthnight in a foodie pub if lucky. It was usually our local hotel with our daughter. Initially I missed it, but that was just a hammer blow reaction. I've settled down into rethinking it now and I'm in no rush to get back to the pub scene when it reopens. Apart from the obvious bedlam that will take place, I'm looking at what it cost me on my own or me and my missus for a simple few drinks and a taxi home. Even on a reduced income and having a few scoops at home and cooking, I can see the financial difference. I would be in the camp of best of luck to them without me.

I dont mind the whole drinking at home thing but missing the social aspect. Few pints after work on a Friday, maybe the odd football match Saturday or Sunday.
    Zoom as good as it is, doesn't replace the social aspect of actually sitting down with friends and having a chat and a few drinks.
    When the local reopens I'll be back for my few pints at the weekend and the 4 others I usually go with are all saying the same, it's a social outing, we catch and it's a few hours to just relax. We won't go into the pubs in Dublin city just yet but I'll go to the local for sure.

And looking forward to it.

Each to their own, I dont think the pubs that do open will have much bother getting custom in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I have no issue with things reopening for those who want it to happen. None whatsoever.

Just musing that 8 weeks on there hasn't been the same angst regarding pubs as there has re gyms for example!

Tinder or the like is an option for the love of your life too remember!

lots of people don't use internet dating. I wouldn't use it if you paid me. house parties are alright the odd time but you cant beat the pubs and clubs.

pgj2015 wrote: »
    lots of people don't use internet dating. I wouldn't use it if you paid me. house parties are alright the odd time but you cant beat the pubs and clubs.

Anyway most tinder dates are quite usually dinner and a few drinks anyway.

There is other things to do but thats one of the most common first dates.

Cant see people in their 20s letting social distancing get in the way of meeting someone

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭eaglach

Anyway most tinder dates are quite usually dinner and a few drinks anyway.

There is other things to do but thats one of the most common first dates.

Cant see people in their 20s letting social distancing get in the way of meeting someone

I'm in that not-so-nice position at the moment. Single, recently getting back into the dating scene only for all hope to be dashed!

I have pretty good willpower and will maintain social distancing for as long as is needed, but I can't imagine many young single people avoiding sticking to the rules.

There's something about pubs/bars that make it an ideal date location. People are relaxed and can talk freely. I doubt the same atmosphere will be there when pubs reopen. Going on dates where you have to stay 2m away from your prospective partner at all times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

He said a nice pint. €50 for something is better value than €13 for nothing.
    I would not be betting on getting 8 "nice creamy pints" in 8 random pubs though, plenty are substandard, including the guinness storehouse.

and 13euro is way too much for 8 guinness. I still have several cases of 67cent a cans ones from christmas, 5.33 for 8. Only wish I got loads more. You could be paying 10 times that price in some place in dublin city.

And I have never heard any guinness drinkers consider the cans to be 100% worthless, pure stupid to deem it "nothing"
    Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Your pouring it wrong . Cans are nice
    I have seen all these pouring videos, 500ml cans into 568ml glasses, they all end up looking like pure sh ite if they actually let the video show them settled.

The best "pints" I have got from cans are by pouring the correct amount of liquid into the glass of a given size. Then you can get a proper compacted head at the top, with a creamy done rising above the pint rim. If the best barman in the world, with gas set up to his liking, perfect gas, pristine glass only got to pour 500ml from a guinness keg into a 568ml glass then it would also be shite.

Once you realise there is no fcuking way that 500ml is bizarrely & coincidentally in those "perfect pints" you get in bars then you will cop on what you have to do. Get a smaller glass, or as more do -get a can on the go which you pour into the glass first, to make up for the missing volume.

eaglach wrote: »
    I'm in that not-so-nice position at the moment. Single, recently getting back into the dating scene only for all hope to be dashed!

I have pretty good willpower and will maintain social distancing for as long as is needed, but I can't imagine many young single people avoiding sticking to the rules.

There's something about pubs/bars that make it an ideal date location. People are relaxed and can talk freely. I doubt the same atmosphere will be there when pubs reopen. Going on dates where you have to stay 2m away from your prospective partner at all times!

Yeah likewise I'm in my mid 20s and single, restaurant or pub would really be the main places I and many friends would think of going, and I know people planning to go on dates when restaurants and bars reopen, theres plenty of other things that you could do but it's the most common.

It's pretty safe to say like you say as well its difficult to see young people sticking to social distancing. Look I'll keep at it myself as long as possible, but I can't see it lasting long term.

Sooner or later people are going to want to meet a potential partner, they wont be keeping 2m distance

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭seanl77

Anyone else on here who thinks that it actually won't be bedlam when the pubs reopen? I mean obviously the first weekend will be busy but it's not as if the pubs were exactly packed before this virus hit. I'm from a rural area so wouldn't be an expert on Dublin pubs, but I would liken the reopening to winning a County or all ireland final. Couple of days on the beer and then back to normal. Its not as if people are going to be rolling in spare cash by then anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭jt69er

€6.25 a pint!!!!

rubadub wrote: »
    I would not be betting on getting 8 "nice creamy pints" in 8 random pubs though, plenty are substandard, including the guinness storehouse.

and 13euro is way too much for 8 guinness. I still have several cases of 67cent a cans ones from christmas, 5.33 for 8. Only wish I got loads more. You could be paying 10 times that price in some place in dublin city.

And I have never heard any guinness drinkers consider the cans to be 100% worthless, pure stupid to deem it "nothing"

I have seen all these pouring videos, 500ml cans into 568ml glasses, they all end up looking like pure sh ite if they actually let the video show them settled.

The best "pints" I have got from cans are by pouring the correct amount of liquid into the glass of a given size. Then you can get a proper compacted head at the top, with a creamy done rising above the pint rim. If the best barman in the world, with gas set up to his liking, perfect gas, pristine glass only got to pour 500ml from a guinness keg into a 568ml glass then it would also be shite.

Once you realise there is no fcuking way that 500ml is bizarrely & coincidentally in those "perfect pints" you get in bars then you will cop on what you have to do. Get a smaller glass, or as more do -get a can on the go which you pour into the glass first, to make up for the missing volume.

If a creamy pint is what you want then they are nothing. If you want an adequate drink then yes they’re a bit more than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭McCrack

rubadub wrote: »

Where you getting these magical 67 cent cans

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Life on the pub/night club scene after lockdown???

Will it go straight back to what it was (hugging,shaking hands, dancing, necking pints) **** the whole lockdown attitude etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

The VFI plan reminded me of a line from The Life of Brian; where upon hearing that a "Brian" is to be spared, a crucified man declares "I'm Brian and so's my wife". It's such a totally blatant denial of reality and an almost admirable brass neck chancing it.

PTH2009 wrote: »

Will it go straight back to what it was (hugging,shaking hands, dancing, necking pints) **** the whole lockdown attitude etc

Not straight back but if they open in say August. I give it 3 months before social distancing is widely flouted in pubs, but clubs nope they wont open and that doesn't really bother me, I like going to clubs but at this stage a catch up with friends in the local would be an ideal evening out when they reopen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

PTH2009 wrote: »

Unlikely within the next year or so. Social distancing is essentially incompatible with everything that makes pubs a great social outlet.

Pubs, as we knew them, are finished for the foreseeable.

Advertisement