Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs when/will they re-open - the Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Staggering opening times

Maybe do a ticket type system for entry ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

Could pubs not be opened on a limited scale, say a limit to 10 people or less at a time spread out appropriate. Most pubs have only less than 10 customers per night anyway. Close the pubs early on weekend nights before the big crowds try to get in.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Could pubs not be opened on a limited scale, say a limit to 10 people or less at a time spread out appropriate. Most pubs have only less than 10 customers per night anyway. Close the pubs early on weekend nights before the big crowds try to get in.

Won’t work that way here. We’re animals, the last few days have proven that.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

Could we not just do without pubs ffs. They should be the last thing we reopen, reopen museums first, mother****ers

• Advertisement

Could we not just do without pubs ffs. They should be the last thing we reopen, reopen museums first, mother****ers

Yeah, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭landofthetree

This.

People are making the crisis ten times worse.

Then in Sep they will be in the Claire Byrne audience crying about the mess and the austerity.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

this, if anything the best way to space out crowds is for every single pub to re-open at the same time on the same day. The day they come back is going to be a massacre , Ill likely take the day off work just to make sure to be at my local the second it opens. I really do miss the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

not many people go to the museum to unwind though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

I suppose peoples inhibitions go down aswell the more they drink the less they will be likely to follow procedures.

• Advertisement

I suppose peoples inhibitions go down aswell the more they drink the less they will be likely to follow procedures.

For sure. I’d never begrudge anyone a drink (I like one myself) or a visit to the pub but there’s a time for it and this is not it.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

I've reached an age and maturity where I can stop pretending I like museums

• Registered Users Posts: 7,344 ✭✭✭bladespin

Pubs have done more for Irish history and culture than any museum ever could.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I must admit I am really missing the option right now. I don't drink on my own ( allegedly ) , but I love going to the pub for a few scoops and shooting the breeze.

The simple things. I am not necessarily craving a drink either , it is the enjoyment and relaxation of the boozer I am missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Yeah, I don't really intend on doing much drinking during all of this. I was never much of a drinker at home. Almost never get the craving to drink a beer if I'm at home.

But I do miss the craic and socialability of the pub a lot. Obviously, in the current scheme of things, there are bigger things to worry about and miss, but, man, I will enjoy that first pint out.

I'll be amazed if we see any pubs reopening for at least two months and I think it will be most likely longer. This is going to run and run well into the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Arghus wrote: »
    This is going to run and run well into the summer.

This is going to run until we have a vaccine which will be this time next year.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Think of pubs and bars like the second amendment.

It's like the peoples right to have a dark damp piss hole where they can comsume more fizzy piss. Even when ordered to close, it's their god given right to go and for the owner, its their god given right to open the bars for "family" and "friends"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

The Nal wrote: »
    This is going to run until we have a vaccine which will be this time next year.

In 2013 it took 20 months to have a SARS-COV1 vaccine which could be used, though it was never deployed since the disease was under control by then. So the rough yard stick of one year might be in the ballpark.

I would not say with 100% certainly that a vaccine will even be found. It is a very hit and miss process. Yes, of course it could be, but this virus is completely new (apart for some resemblance to SARS-COV1). There are many viruses without a vaccine, e.g. HIV.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

skallywag wrote: »
    In 2013 it took 20 months to have a SARS-COV1 vaccine which could be used, though it was never deployed since the disease was under control by then. So the rough yard stick of one year might be in the ballpark.

I would not say with 100% certainly that a vaccine will even be found. It is a very hit and miss process. Yes, of course it could be, but this virus is completely new (apart for some resemblance to SARS-COV1). There are many viruses without a vaccine, e.g. HIV.

Yeah maybe some effective treatment is the best we can hope for in the short term. Either way, the idea some people have that this is over and back to normal in a few weeks is insanity. We're in this for the long haul.

Agree completely.

I am not sure if some folk are just not understanding the issue, or whether they simply just do not want to hear it, but there is no possible way things will be in any manner back to 'normal' before six months, at the very earliest.

The landscape that we see within one month from now is going to be sadly very different from where we are today. Italy went from ca 50 confirmed cases to having 100's of deaths per day in less than one month.

None of this is 'Trolling' or 'Hysteria' as some people have commented on this thread. Take a look at the numbers, the facts, in Ireland, and also in other countries. Take a look at how SARS-COV1 worked out in 2003, and the reasons why this was contained so fast. Take a look at the Spanish flu stats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

It's complete optimism bias and unfortunately not much can be done until people see the effects. Even although we have clear examples (Italy) of how bad it can be for countries like ours that didn't act soon enough.

I also hope for the best, but its naive to not prepare for the worst (or at least pretty bad).

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

kenmm wrote: »
    It's complete optimism bias and unfortunately not much can be done until people see the effects. Even although we have clear examples (Italy) of how bad it can be for countries like ours that didn't act soon enough.

I also hope for the best, but its naive to not prepare for the worst (or at least pretty bad).

None of us know when this is going to happen and if things will be as bad here as it was in Italy. We've had a head start so we might not see what they have seen. Either way it's speculation but there is a loud minority of alarmists here who seem to think the world is going to end in the next few months. It's hysteria and it's not good for anyone's mental health which is why I am signing off!

Slán agus tugaigí aire dá cheile.

never_mind wrote: »
    ...but there is a loud minority of alarmists here who seem to think the world is going to end in the next few months. It's hysteria

I have to respectively strongly disagree with you.

Nobody is saying that the world is going to end. That would be hysteria.

However, the stark reality is that we need to face up to tough times in the coming months and that we need to open our eyes and look very carefully (albeit that we naturally do not want to) at what is happening in those countries that are not too far away from us. As an example, if someone would have said two weeks ago that the confirmed cases would go from 200,000 to 300,000 within just 4 days, I am sure that this would have been dismissed as hysterical nonsense. This unfortunately did happen though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

I don't think I've been hysterical at all - just calmly saying that things will be different for a number of weeks to come. I hope it will be weeks/a few months, but mentally preparing for it to get a it worse before it gets better. We took action a little bit quicker than Italy, but wasnt really taken seriously (8 days ago, city centre was still packed).

kenmm wrote: »
    It's complete optimism bias and unfortunately not much can be done until people see the effects.
    ....--->
    We've had a head start so we might not see what they have seen.
    which is why I am signing off!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Pubs can't stayed closed forever. It's where many relationships start for people who go on to have children we need to pay our pensions.

For single women in their early to mid 30s hoping to meet a partner and have children, this is a major knock back.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

:rolleyes: You better be joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

DeVore wrote: »
    :rolleyes: You better be joking.

:confused:

Was that directed at my post?

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭SuperRabbit

You weren't joking!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Urethral Buttercup

Be honest, let's imagine you were walking home from work today, and as you approached the corner whereupon one of your favourite locals exists, you saw the door half ajar, and you heard the clinking of glasses, a little movement through the frosted panes... Would you?

I think this is harder for stout drinkers. Few things nicer than observing the tiny bubbles on a creamy head of a full pint of porter, waiting for you on the altar, high stool in place, maybe an open fire, and a bit of a chat with the barman about goings on, or a read of the paper.

So be honest, would you snake inside for a glass, or carry on on your way?

• Advertisement

Be honest, let's imagine you were walking home from work today, and as you approached the corner whereupon one of your favourite locals exists, you saw the door half ajar, and you heard the clinking of glasses, a little movement through the frosted panes... Would you?

I think this is harder for stout drinkers. Few things nicer than observing the tiny bubbles on a creamy head of a full pint of porter, waiting for you on the altar, high stool in place, maybe an open fire, and a bit of a chat with the barman about goings on, or a read of the paper.

So be honest, would you snake inside for a glass, or carry on on your way?

Are you drinking stout or porter? It's unclear in your fantasy.

Advertisement