Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

(Virgin) Anyone moved from 240m to 500m w/out New Modem?

• 17-03-2020 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi Folks,

I currently reside in Dublin8 and I've been on the Virgin Media 240mb limitless broadband plan.

I have the older UPC branded router/modem model (which I've also setup in DOCSIS gateway mode and use an IPv4 address which goes to my own router).

Does anyone know if it's possible to upgrade to the 500/50 broadband plan without having to swap out my UPC branded modem/router with a media hub or change anything? Can Virgin Media do this on their side only?

I do not want to replace the UPC modem as it's both difficult to reach as well as the current need for reasonable seclusion due to the Corona Virus epidemic, being older and having a partner with an auto-immune issue.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

UPC branded = Ubee/Technicolor/other?

The 3925 and similar have a limit of 440Mb theoretical and practically under 400Mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭newirishman

Virgin replaced my old (5 years old or so) UPC modem with their current Virginmedia branded Hub 3.0 modem Earlier this year. I was on the same 240mb plan. (Dublin City)
    They said it is necessary to ensure continued service or some such Reason.
    So you might get a new one in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sadsfae

Sorry, I just looked up the model - I have the Ubee EVW3226

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sadsfae

ED E wrote: »
    UPC branded = Ubee/Technicolor/other?

The 3925 and similar have a limit of 440Mb theoretical and practically under 400Mb.

Ubee EVW3226 is what I have, if this is the case with that model too I'd be ok with a lower theoritical download cap - I really want the upgrade for the increase in upload.

I know VM has contacted me before about switching the modem but I have always declined, wondering how far I can go with this and hoping someone else has successfully upgraded to the 360m or ideally 500m plan without swapping out theirs or requiring the media hub as a hard requisite.

COMPAL pile of garbage is coming whether you like it or not, they want everyone on 3.1. The only out is you might wait long enough to get a Hub 4.0 instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭jeffk

ED E wrote: »
    COMPAL pile of garbage is coming whether you like it or not, they want everyone on 3.1. The only out is you might wait long enough to get a Hub 4.0 instead.

Any timeline on when that's coming here?

I have seen in UK its fibre areas who mostly get it

They've had two revisions since the CH7465 iirc, who knows when we'll get something.

Advertisement