Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Co-op games on Switch

• 17-03-2020 4:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭

Seems a good time to post this. What with the situation we're facing and the abundance of co-op friendly games on Switch. Let off steam, involve people at home with you. Hand off a joycon.

I'll start:

Snipperclips

A cutesy co-op puzzle game where you cut each other in to different shapes and work together to help solve puzzles/challenges

Cheap enough at €20 and the kind of game nearly anyone can enjoy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Kirby All-stars, Mario Brothers Deluxe and Mario Kart are great multiplayer games for kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Overcooked is the best and worst of co op. It might be the straw that turns your Covid 19 family lockdown hidey hole into a slaughterhouse. But bear in mind, that's only because the game is so good that when things go wrong you know it's the other players fault.

Horizon Chase Turbo - a kind of love letter to Outrun - was a surprise hit with my kids. They like the twisty turny tracks.

Arms might come into its own now as a combo screentime / exercise regime!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

If you've scratched the Overcooked itch, the likes of Tools Up and Moving Out (think it's out later in April, demo's just been released) are decent enough spins on the formula. Death-Squared is getting some love for its co-op but I've not played it. Seems to go on sale for super cheap and all.

If you've not picked them up elsewhere, I'm honour-bound to throw a recommendation in for Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze and Rayman Legends which are two of the best co-op experiences I've ever enjoyed. Brain-meltingly challenging at times but fantastic nonetheless.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Castle Crashers is good fun and supports 4-player co-op. Good sense of humour in it too.

Banjo wrote: »
    Overcooked is the best and worst of co op. It might be the straw that turns your Covid 19 family lockdown hidey hole into a slaughterhouse. But bear in mind, that's only because the game is so good that when things go wrong you know it's the other players fault.

Horizon Chase Turbo - a kind of love letter to Outrun - was a surprise hit with my kids. They like the twisty turny tracks.

Arms might come into its own now as a combo screentime / exercise regime!

you must not be familiar with Lotus Esprit Turbo - it's from there that Horizon chase emanates from (laps, fuel, turbos), not Outrun

https://www.facebook.com/HorizonChaseTurbo/posts/here-is-a-full-origin-story-to-how-horizon-chase-turbo-was-bornthe-first-game-th/645374192608510/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Mario Kart, SnipperClips, Smash Bros. Ultimate, Arms, Battlloon. And I hear good things about Overcooked 1 and 2.

glasso wrote: »
    you must not be familiar with Lotus Esprit Turbo - it's from there that Horizon chase emanates from (laps, fuel, turbos), not Outrun

Played that on C64 way back, but then we always saw that as an Outrun clone too. It wasn't epoch defining in my house the way Outrun was, what can I say?

If they add DLC that lets you get out of the car and attack guys with an Uzi I'll concede that it's an homage to the driving sections of Vendetta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭shanec1928

This! Wouldn’t recommend it while in lockdown. Can get stressful!

Played that on C64 way back, but then we always saw that as an Outrun clone too. It wasn't epoch defining in my house the way Outrun was, what can I say?

If they add DLC that lets you get out of the car and attack guys with an Uzi I'll concede that it's an homage to the driving sections of Vendetta.

both Horizon Chase Turbo and the original Lotus Esprit Turbo have laps, fuel, and turbos.

Both use turbo in the name...

They even got the very same guy (Barry Leitch) who did the music on the original games to do it for Horizon Chase.....

Outrun makes use of time and stages.... - it does have a car yes I will give you that :pac:

If you had the Amiga version I'm sure that you would have made the connection....

glasso wrote: »
    If you had the Amiga version I'm sure that you would have made the connection....

No, cause I wouldn't have had anything to play it on. I'd have just fecked up my tape machine trying to fit the disks in. Duh! :)

Starlink is a surprisingly good game, relatively cheap if you can find the starter set (10-15€) and can be played co op I think. The digital version is on sale in the us at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Pikuniku has a co-op mode with a bunch of custom levels for two players to get through together, and it's wonderfully silly and charming to boot.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Luigis Mansion 3 is a great in co-op

Advertisement