Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyst Removal

• 17-03-2020 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I'm not looking for medical advice as I'm already attending my doctor for this.
    But does anyone know if you can pay once off for a private cyst removal even if you've been put on a public waiting list?
    I think because its benign and a non issue it's been marked very low priority but it impacts me and my self esteem and I want the bloody thing gone!
    So if I have private health insurance can I still opt for a private procedure and pay upfront?
    If so, how do I arrange it?
    Thanks 😊

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I think this happens all the time, people get fed up waiting in the public system and end up going private. I would suggest asking your gp about this, I would imagine they'll need to refer you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Your GP will give you a letter to see a consultant. You'll pay the GP for the visit, and the first meeting with the consultant will be in the region of €100-€200 (depending on who/where they are, but €180-200 wouldn't be unusual for a first visit).

You'll send that letter to the consultant and get your first appointment in their rooms. They'll examine you and figure out what they want to do, then you'll make an appointment for a surgery date with their secretary. If you don't have private health insurance, make sure to find out the cost before committing. Depending on whether an anesthetist is needed and a bunch of other factors, the costs for even a "simple" procedure can really add up.

If it's a day surgery affair, then you'll be asked to turn up at the hospital at a certain day/time. You'll get a letter outlining what you need to do/bring - for example they may ask you to come in fasting, or say that you may not be able to drive yourself home afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I did this. Had a cyst on my scalp and was on a private waiting list for months.

Went back to GP and got referral to a dermatologist, saw them in a few weeks and a few weeks after that again had the cyst removed under local anasethetic. Whole saga cost €830.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Yes, I did this about 10 years ago. I saw a plastic surgeon in Dublin who removed it and I paid the cost privately. The area around it was numbed and I also had some moles removed at the same time. They were sent to a lab to ensure they were benign. I can't remember how much but I want to say around 1200 euro total.

Advertisement