Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The women who get life in jail after suffering miscarriages

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

Oh this will go well

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Presumably the lads from the thread about the dead boy from a few years back decrying the beliefs of Muslims will be in to tell us how barbaric Catholics are too............

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I'm at the stage that I couldn't care less what happens in other country's.

I don't know why the media continually make us feel bad for the plight of people in other countries that we have no control over and I include Syria in that.

I'd make an exception to starving people in past famines like in Ethiopia but the idea that Ireland which is a very small country should be worried or take action for bad stuff that goes on in foreign lands is something that is becoming increasingly vocal in the media and frankly I'm getting sick of it. We have our own problems and the reality is by and large the problems in those countries is not due to theocratic governments in those counties but largely due to the culture of the country and the people of the county itself.

So unless someone can figure out how to change the culture of foreign countries I'd prefer to enjoy the country, and western culture we live it, without all the doom and gloom, than spoil it to be concerned about stuff that frankly might as well be going on on another planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

AllForIt wrote: »
    I'm at the stage that I couldn't care less what happens in other country's.

I don't know why the media continually make us feel bad for the plight of people in other countries that we have no control over and I include Syria in that.

I'd make an exception to starving people in past famines like in Ethiopia but the idea that Ireland which is a very small country should be worried or take action for bad stuff that goes on in foreign lands is something that is becoming increasingly vocal in the media and frankly I'm getting sick of it. We have our own problems and the reality is by and large the problems in those countries is not due to theocratic governments in those counties but largely due to the culture of the country and the people of the county itself.

So unless someone can figure out how to change the culture of foreign countries I'd prefer to enjoy the country, and western culture we live it, without all the doom and gloom, than spoil it to be concerned about stuff that frankly might as well be going on on another planet.

the media are just highlighting issues going on around the world, and certainly they should be covering more world issues.
    they are not forcing anyone to care, that is ultimately up to the individual to decide for themselves as to whether they care or not, but they should continue to highlight issues for those who may be interested.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,195 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

the media are just highlighting issues going on around the world, and certainly they should be covering more world issues.
    they are not forcing anyone to care, that is ultimately up to the individual to decide for themselves as to whether they care or not, but they should continue to highlight issues for those who may be interested.

That is true. But , and it may be an overreaction to the covid19 pandemic ,but we are bombarded by ads to help starving people in Africa Asia South America. Abused women and children in those places. People who have no civil liberties etc etc. And I have NO problem donating to various charitable causes. But I understand the OPs post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

cjmc wrote: »
    That is true. But , and it may be an overreaction to the covid19 pandemic ,but we are bombarded by ads to help starving people in Africa Asia South America. Abused women and children in those places. People who have no civil liberties etc etc. And I have NO problem donating to various charitable causes. But I understand the OPs post

No eotr, *higlighting* bad news in foreign lands might as well be happening on other planets for all I care. I couldn't care less anymore.

The problem with the media is that it had made the world very small. In fact it is a very large place, and one of the worse things about the internet is we learn about every horrible thing that goes on in the world in an instant and it's fed to us daily non-stop.

I'm sick and tired of this barrage of bad news on a constant basis coming from all around the world. Earlier generation did not have to deal with this and neither should we as if we should feel guilty in some way.

edit: and I will make this point again: the problems experienced in foreign lands are largely down to the culture of the country's in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

No eotr, *higlighting* bad news in foreign lands might as well be happening on other planets for all I care. I couldn't care less anymore.

The problem with the media is that it had made the world very small. In fact it is a very large place, and one of the worse things about the internet is we learn about every horrible thing that goes on in the world in an instant and it's fed to us daily non-stop.

I'm sick and tired of this barrage of bad news on a constant basis coming from all around the world. Earlier generation did not have to deal with this and neither should we as if we should feel guilty in some way.

edit: and I will make this point again: the problems experienced in foreign lands are largely down to the culture of the country's in question.

you can ignore the bad news if you wish, the option is there if you really want to do it, just cherry pick the bits you want and ignore whatever is bad news.
    the media have to report the news and it is up to individuals what they consume of it, we cannot avoid facts.
    the simple times are not coming back, the plannet is big but the world and humanity have been brought much much closer together and that isn't going to change, whatever aweful things that are happening in the world are going to be highlighted and there isn't anything anyone can do bar ignoring it themselves.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,093 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Best thing I ever did was stop watching/reading news. Any of the important stuff you'll get eventually, or at least you can hear about it and search just that topic. Pretty sure there are websites out there that will only deliver news of specific categories or locations too.

The news, to me, is like social media. It's all about who can shout the loudest and the furthest. Luckily we're not as bad as the great ole USofA where they will invent stories or be so unashamedly one sided. We're a bit better insofar as we try to mostly hide the one sidedness.

This of course all only applies if you genuinely don't care. It will test your ability to care actually. Some people call me awful things for my apparant lack of empathy towards other countries. But I agree with you, their problems, not mine. I'll do my bit by trying my best to not give that country money, but I don't research all products, and most things are made in China anyway so... Do my best to not order from the UAE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

We live in a globalised world, what happens in other countries effects us.

War in the Middle East effects the price of oil. Bush fires in Australia reflect climate change happening worldwide. A virus in China will eventually make its way here.

I’d be interested in hearing some examples from you if countries that are screwed up because “that’s their culture”. If they exist, I imagine they’re a very small minority. Most poor countries have had to deal with difficult climates, colonialism, wars they didn’t start etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Presumably the lads from the thread about the dead boy from a few years back decrying the beliefs of Muslims will be in to tell us how barbaric Catholics are too............

All religions are barbaric, this is no different, south america has a lot to answer for in their stanards on human rights.

• Advertisement

KiKi III wrote: »
    I’d be interested in hearing some examples from you if countries that are screwed up because “that’s their culture”. If they exist, I imagine they’re a very small minority.

Well.. I'd include most of Africa in that. Where Tribalism and witchdoctors retain their authority. That's their culture screwing them up. The hatred of others based on tribal connections which lead to genocide.
    Most poor countries have had to deal with difficult climates, colonialism, wars they didn’t start etc.

Why excuse them? because using colonialism as a crutch is an excuse, especially considering the range of benefits/improvements that came with being colonized. Education, infrastructure, industrialization, commerce systems, etc. All things which were absent before colonialisation, and also relatively absent in neighboring countries which weren't. Zimbabwae on independence destroyed everything associated with the "Whites", removing an incredibly successful economy and replacing it with a disaster. They're still recovering, not from colonialism but from their own actions.

And on top of that, how long does a country need to recover? Most countries have had 50/60 years plus without direct foreign involvement, along with foreign aid, to recover from these negative foreign effects.. and yet, in many cases, they've found their own ways to mess themselves up. How far can you stretch the blame game, without assigning some degree of personal responsibility for the state of their own country?

And most of these countries did start the wars they were involved in. Religious wars, civil wars, aggressive wars against neighbors who had something they wanted...

This is my problem with foreign news, especially when it relates to Africa. At what point can we stop finding excuses for the mismanagement of their countries when they've often had decades and many opportunities to recover?

Africa will continue to be a playground for foreign powers because they're weak and seek external aid in fighting their opponents. The same can be said for most other poor countries. They often seek external powers such as the US or, in the past, the USSR... Now it's China/US. At some point we have to accept that they put themselves in the situations they're experiencing. Just like Turkey played with turning towards the US at one point, and threatening association with Russia to gain more benefits.. Many other countries attempt to do the same.

Have they been manipulated and exploited? Yup. Definitely.. but usually because they invite foreigners in to "help", or they try playing western forces against each other. Same with the ventures of foreign business who are invited in to the country and given privileges.. At what point do you acknowledge the responsibility of the country in vetting companies or their diplomatic associations better?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

What dead boy?

We're in the middle of a deadly pandemic. I couldn't give **** what random South American countries are doing.

Us and the rest of the world!

It's a symptom of the horror that is inflicted on women (young women especially - some older women have internalised misogyny, as can be seen with, for example, the murder of Shafilea Ahmed) and girls in Latin America by the "culture" of machismo.

What dead boy?

I suspect it refers to the murder of the migrant boy the three Turkish men.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

El Salvador must be one ****ed up state to imprison women for something that isn't their fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

This is my problem with foreign news, especially when it relates to Africa. At what point can we stop finding excuses for the mismanagement of their countries when they've often had decades and many opportunities to recover?
    What opportunities? One of the poorest countries in Africa 70 years ago was Botswana. They're now one of the richest (in terms of GDP). Why? Their government isn't ****. Why isn't their government ****? Well, it was never really a colonial government. When Cecil Rhodes was done conquering Zimbabwe (or Rhodesia, as he called it), he set his grubby little heart on neighbouring Botswana. Three of the biggest tribes there sent their leaders to London and begged to become a protectorate so Rhodes would be kept at bay. Rhodes had recently pissed off the British, so they agreed. Botswana didn't have anything worth stealing, so they left it alone. Instead of a colonial government designed to steal everything that wasn't nailed down (and enslave locals to rip up anything that was), they made an actual country. Meanwhile, places like Zimbabwe saw some local dickhead take over the colonial government and continue stealing everything in sight. Those places can't just vote in a decent government. The whole mechanism of government is ****ed up.

Or take another example. The Germans ran Rwanda. They picked the Tutsi minority to help run the country. The Belgians took over after WWI, and exacerbated differences by forcing everyone to carry an identity card that labelled them with tribal identity. The groups that had been living peacefully together and intermarrying before colonial government then became a formally tiered society with resentment building against the minority in power. Guess how that ended when the Belgians left?

Your whole argument is very naive.

mikhail wrote: »
    Your whole argument is very naive.

You dismissed my argument. You didn't argue against it. Instead, you posted two examples.

Whooptie do. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Sounds like a miscarriage of justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

antix80 wrote: »
    Sounds like a miscarriage of justice.

i bet you that sounded really funny in your head as you were posting it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement