Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctors - to get €30 a phonecall from Govt.

• 17-03-2020 10:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭

When Ireland puts a call out for any health workers to do what they can, and Leo tells us how proud we should be.

Doctors negotiate €30 from the Exchequer PER PHONECALL to make a diagnosis.

This will cost the country a fortune.

Not justifiable IMO.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

They should do it for free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

They should do it for free?

I said €30 wasn't justifiable.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

How much is justifiable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭enricoh

How much will you do it for?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭ismat

Should they work for free ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

No one is going to the doctors at the moment, they have an important role in the crisis and are going broke.

What’s a fair price? How long does each call last?

What other work could these GPs be doing instead of answering these calls and how much would that pay?

How many staff are employed by GPs?

Can't see any issue with the docs getting 30euro a phone call?
    What the hell is wrong with that? They don't want potential carriers in the surgery spreading the disease further.
    Phone calls & paper work after takes time. Surely that time is worth 30 Euro?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

experience. Hold you diagnosis for less than €30?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Get Real

When Ireland puts a call out for any health workers to do what they can, and Leo tells us how proud we should be.

Doctors negotiate €30 from the Exchequer PER PHONECALL to make a diagnosis.

This will cost the country a fortune.

Not justifiable IMO.

They'll be all down lots of appointments though and better to keep them afloat than close up shop.

Also, 30quid a phone call for a service that is crucial to all citizens. Compare that to the legal aid per court appearance solicitors get for repeat criminals. Pales in comparison.

I know it's whataboutery, but it's not the time imo to debate. I understand your point in fairness but disagree all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,831 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

How will it be recored.

Can a doctor say he got 500 calls when in fact he only got 50?

Gouging will go on during this crisis I'm not saying doctors will do it but where will the checks and balances come from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

Balmed Out wrote: »
    No one is going to the doctors at the moment, they have an important role in the crisis and are going broke.
    Two thirds of their income comes from the Government, before this. They get a capitation fee in respect of every medical card holder, regardless of whether that card holder looks for as service.

So, even if they've an empty surgery, they still get the bulk of their income.

So, with the greatest respect, you are talking complete nonsense.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

How will it be recored.

Can a doctor say he got 500 calls when in fact he only got 50?

Gouging will go on during this crisis I'm not saying doctors will do it but where will the checks and balances come from?
    Aah would you stop!
    Everything will be documented and many of the call details will be forwarded onto the HSE anyhow.
    Thus thread should really be in the Conspiracy Theories forum :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Let's say a test costs 100 euro (no idea if thats accurate)

If a GP takes 10 calls and is able to rule out 4 of those from needing a test then the government has saved money. (Adjust numbers according to actual cost)

If every 500 phonecalls stops someone needing a hospital bed the government is also up money

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

The GPs are also going to be under severe pressure. Remember this isn't just a standard phone call - the GP is performing a triage. They're assessing whether the caller needs a test and, if so, the priority on that test. That's going to be a very stressful job because their decisions can have serious ramifications. A €30 payment for that isn't that much, especially coupled with the loss of income elsewhere.

ixoy wrote: »
    A €30 payment for that isn't that much, especially coupled with the loss of income elsewhere.
    They will absolutely ride you, and not think they are doing any wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

The way I heard it was - €30 for a caller that is found to have C-19

10 calls, doc triage sends 2 for testing, 1 tests positive = €30

Not bad value.

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »

Not bad value.

That can’t be right, the incentive would be to send all patients for testing in the hope that some will test positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

That can’t be right, the incentive would be to send all patients for testing in the hope that some will test positive.

Any doc that sent all callers to be tested should expect a WTF phone call from the HSE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

€30 sounds very cheap to me. Clearly GPs have provided a large discount from the sounds of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,607 ✭✭✭This is it

Not bad value.

Can't see that being the case. They could deal with 50 calls and not get a single payment.

€30 per call looking for an over the phone consultation regarding CV would be my thinking.

Any doc that sent all callers to be tested should expect a WTF phone call from the HSE.
    And get a pompous response along the lines "are you telling me I don't know my job?"

Seriously, the doctors will ride you for every cent and not even consider that they should do different.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I'm surprised tbh, at a time when so many people are going to go unemployed 30 euro a phone call sounds steep.. I wouldn't mind seeing a costing for this, how many calls per day will a GP take?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I'm surprised tbh, at a time when so many people are going to go unemployed 30 euro a phone call sounds steep.. I wouldn't mind seeing a costing for this, how many calls per day will a GP take?

A "costing" of this would show GP practises making a loss at 30 euro per consultation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

I don't think THIS THREAD panned out the way the OP hoped.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    A "costing" of this would show GP practises making a loss at 30 euro per consultation.
    And per day what will be talking? They'll also be making much more consultations

I don't think THIS THREAD panned out the way the OP hoped.
    Have to say, it was impressive in illustrating how willing people are to part xwith their money.

Possibly because they don't appreciate it is their money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

ixoy wrote: »
    The GPs are also going to be under severe pressure. Remember this isn't just a standard phone call - the GP is performing a triage. They're assessing whether the caller needs a test and, if so, the priority on that test. That's going to be a very stressful job because their decisions can have serious ramifications. A €30 payment for that isn't that much, especially coupled with the loss of income elsewhere.

Also in most surgeries there is a receptionist who takes the call initially, and they too have to be paid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

How difficult is it to perform an over the phone consultation for a specific disease I wonder?

I’m not a real doctor, but 5 minutes tops?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

Does the result go back to the GP? Presume this covers the call to patient with result and plan.

Advertisement